Smuel's good morning extravaganza

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Smuel, May 3, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I've supervising the chemical synthesis of the biochemistry bit of their project, so things like how to conduct a reaction in a dry inert atmosphere and what kind of characterisation a compound needs to be in a publication. Naturally, I'm sure there will be a little sock darning in there too.

Good morning.

2. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

3. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Posting here should be good practice for that part.

Good morning.

TheDavisChanger and Jungle Japes like this.
  4. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Well, at least we can count on one substance being inert, always:

Good evening.

5. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

I remember hearing the word "blog" for the first time, and thinking that it sounded very unnatural and stupid. And now it's just another unremarkable word, and I feel old.

Good night.

6. Jojobobo

Well on the bright side, the word vlog will always sound fucking ridiculous.

Good morning.

7. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Something similar happened to me the first time I saw the word "iPad". I was like "Haha, this idiot can't spell iPod". But it turned out that I was the idiot.

I still am, in many ways.

Good morning.

8. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

As time goes by, I become more and more disgusted with PC game marketing tactics. When I'm checking out a game and I see words like, "Season Pass", "Digital Deluxe Edition", and "Exclusive Content", I immediately like the game less. All these shameless moneygrabbing tactics just make me want to pirate the game out of spite, though I haven't stooped to that level yet. Of course I shouldn't let it bother me, since DLC is, by and large, complete garbage that adds little to the game experience. And there's always the option of waiting around for a couple years until the GOTY or Complete Edition goes on sale; though in the case of multiplayer games, you might as well call it the Nobody Plays This Game Anymore Edition.

Good evening.

9. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

On a scale from 1 (Tim Cain is critically hit) to 10 (Arcanum 2 confirmed!) this lands somewhere around 8.

Seriously, given the preexisting working relationship between Obsidian and Paradox (and the overall quality of Paradox games) this can only be good news.

Have a terrific weekend!

10. Jojobobo

That's pretty damn awesome, especially seeing as CCP were just sitting on the license after their MMO folded. They even issued a cease and desist order recently to some people at Planet Vampire who were trying to port the game to the Unity engine (I think), even though they weren't going to profit off it and they were going to put in something that required a valid install for you to even play it (whether that would have worked in practice is a different matter, but the intentions were there).

If they did hire Obsidian to make a game, I think force of what would happen in my pants would not allow me to walk for at least a week.

On that image, good evening.

11. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Can't really blame CCP for that though, IPs mean nothing if you don't strive to protect them.

Good evening.

12. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

True, power projection is of immense importance in the video game industry.

Good night.

13. Jojobobo

I don't know, if they had managed to work in something that checked for a valid install of the game to me that would mean more potential copies sold - making their free work an asset as opposed to competition. It seemed a bit stupid and mean spirited, and lead to a load of people harassing them on facebook about it. I guess it could be a factor that encouraged them to sell, so maybe it wasn't such a bad thing after all.

Good morning.

14. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

Welcome to the first morning of November everybody! For those of you to whom it applies I hope Halloween treated you well.

So there was 11 consecutive days of inactivity in the thread... does anybody know if Smuel is alive.

15. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm not saying they're 100% in the right, but copyrights have value only if they are defended. If somebody willfully uses someone else's intellectual property (no matter how inactive it might have been) without clearing it with the people who paid to own it and then gets a Cease and Desist thrown their way...... not seeing how you'd get a free pass on that. Especially since there are tons of other ideas out there to use instead. But there are grey areas for sure on that kind of stuff.

Anywho, I didn't mean to make a big fuss about it, I just don't see CCP as "The Big Bad Man" on this one. Like EvE or not, they've always been a hands-on developer doing mostly cool stuff (in my opinion anyway).

Good afternoon!

16. Jojobobo

I suppose so, though in this case it was more or less an elaborate mod than profiteering off their stuff. Oh well.

In other news, Obsidian sent this tweet and Paradox seem enthusiastic and retweeted it - I think at this kind of very preliminary stage that's about as good a sign as you could hope for.

Good morning.

17. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Reports of my, etc. have been, and so on.

Good morning.

18. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Clearly it's hard to find good help these days then. Somebody owes me a refund.

Good evening.

19. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Zanza would probably do it for free.

Good morning.

20. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Kill you or refund Philes money?

Morning.

Our Host!