Car Arcanum

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by on1ondevelopment, Jun 19, 2015.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. on1ondevelopment

on1ondevelopment Member

I've seen a lot of old forum posts about the Car Arcanum mod, it seems like a great one. However, I cannot find it at the downloads page here, and an Internet search gives me nothing. Does anyone know where I can find this mod, or if you have it on your computer and could send it to me?

2. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I see it in the download section:
    Download->Arcanum->Main Module Expansions->Hard-Arcanum by Chris Beddoes->polished_CARCANUM.zip

3. on1ondevelopment

on1ondevelopment Member

Oh, I didn't see it because I was plain looking for the words "Car-Arcanum". I was staring right at it, I knew it would be so.
    Thank you muchly!

4. Dr. Ferb Wallace Mythril

Dr. Ferb Wallace Mythril Member

5. on1ondevelopment

on1ondevelopment Member

I've never tried the WIP patch, but I have played through CarArcanum once since starting this thread. I'd say that it is about fifty to sixty? It is very different from the original game in many ways, but maybe WIP adds/edits even more.

6. Dr. Ferb Wallace Mythril

for the most part, WIP is a content mod. what is complete is pretty good but Rroyo seems to have stopped developing it a couple years ago so there's a lot of half finished content. there are a few non vanilla things, though (Tesla pistol, medical arachnid blue print available one day after arriving in Tarent)

7. on1ondevelopment

on1ondevelopment Member

CarArcanum adds a lot of new content as well, but it changes the gameplay drastically.

Some key features are:
    Specializations every 10th level
    A Car as a follower, which can transport you and help you in many ways
    Extended character customization in the beginning of the game
    More customizable difficulty levels - you can change how often you do a critical hit for example

It also adds a lot of new content, I don't know if WIP adds more content though.

The next time I play through Arcanum, I will try the WIP patch - it gives me a nice excuse for another playthrough.

8. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    If you need an excuse, we may have to take away your T-A card.

9. on1ondevelopment

on1ondevelopment Member

Really, I don't play video games a lot anymore - Arcanum is a game I go back to every now and then just for the nostalgia.

10. namad

namad Member

in the downloads section I see:
    AKA polished CAR Arcanum, is a huge mod that, among many things, has reworked the combat balance (in quite unconventional ways), added some locations and... just go see the announcement.

http://www.terra-arcanum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9196

that link no longer works... so where can we go for chris's own announcement about car arcanum and to read what he said about the release?

are some parts of the forum gone?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  11. Dr. Ferb Wallace Mythril

sorta. there is a wayback machine archive linked somewhere around here though...

12. namad

namad Member

I just put the link into the wayback and found https://web.archive.org/web/20121230164253/http://www.terra-arcanum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9196

not sure how useful this is because it's very old... discussion from 2003, I could've SWORN that just a few years ago people were talking about car arcanum here.... but I don't know what thread it was, I guess it wasn't in the first official car arcanum release post... it must've been in some other thread... anyone have the old bookmarks for it? if we knew the url (the t=**** part) we could put it in the waybackmachine and find it...

Our Host!