Smuel's good morning extravaganza

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Smuel, May 3, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. on1ondevelopment

on1ondevelopment Member

2. on1ondevelopment

on1ondevelopment Member

3. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Yep, now that it's a weekday it's much more lively around here.

Good morning.

4. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

Evening,
    There is yet another top 50 RPG list available for your enjoyment, this time at RPS. Arcanum is conspicuously absent, but at least there seems to be an uproar in the comments section about the matter.

Good evening.

5. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    I've played some of those games.

Good morning.

6. on1ondevelopment

on1ondevelopment Member

I can't believe Arcanum is not on the list, yet they have put so many modern linear RPGs on that list. I haven't played so many as fifty RPGs, but here's my personal top five (I've played more than five, but these are my favorites):

1. Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura (2001)
    2. Baldur's Gate 1 (1998)
    3. Fable: The Lost Chapters (2005)
    4. Fallout 1 (1997)
    5. Inquisitor (2009)

Good evening.

7. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Hah, yes, I also prefer the original Baldur's Gate over BG2. I thought I was alone in this, given how people always rave about Shadows of Amn.

Though now you're going to say you only said that because you never played BG2. Well why the hell not? It's one of the top 50 RPGs of all time!

Good morning.

on1ondevelopment likes this.
  8. on1ondevelopment

on1ondevelopment Member

I have actually never played Baldur's Gate II. I have Shadows of Amn, but I've not played it, so it's difficult to compare them.
    However, many games are great but have terrible sequels, so maybe the first Baldur's Gate is better than the second one?

Good morning.

9. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    No, I'm pretty sure BG2 really is better than the original, given how everyone always says so. I just can't see it myself. Maybe it's because one of the most important things to me in a game is the atmosphere, and I think they lost some of that in the sequel. I also thought the story became rather ridiculous. If you don't care about either of those things, then you'd probably prefer BG2 along with everyone else.

Good morning.

10. on1ondevelopment

on1ondevelopment Member

We'll see about that. If it has an innovative fantasy world like in Arcanum and has a good soundtrack, I might like it as well.

Good morning.

11. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    I wouldn't say it's as innovative as Arcanum, in that it's a fairly standard Forgotten Realms setting. Mind you, if your only exposure to that is via Baldur's Gate games and its ilk (Icewind Dale & Neverwinter Nights) then it may seem fresh enough.

Good morning.

12. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

Arcanum was the first RPG I ever got into, so it's pretty much set the standard when it comes to interesting settings. Took awhile before I realized just how unique it was and few things have lived up to it. Then again, I never got around to Planescape Torment.

By the way, yesterday KotOR 2 of all games received an unexpected update on Steam. Now it's got widescreen and workshop support as well as a few achievements. Peculiar.

Oh, and do you say that "X is conspicuously absent" or that "X is conspicuous with its absence"?

Good afternoon.

13. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

X is conspicuous with how he constantly mentions being Speed Racer's absent brother. Someone has to hear his constant monologuing.

Good Morning.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  14. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Yes, but X is always having to pull Speed's bacon out of the fire because Speed is dumb..

Good Morning.

15. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Haha, yes, though Z is my favourite character in that whole series. I liked it when she deliberately slowed down during the speed race to let Speed win, because he always has to win every speed race. And afterwards he was all like "Yes, I am the top speed racer, as indicated by my nickname Speed Racer" and Z just rolled her eyes and was like "I am a girl character."

Good morning.

16. on1ondevelopment

on1ondevelopment Member

I am going to start working on a mod for Arcanum, so we shall see how innovative that can get. I have a few unused ideas for it, but it is possible that no one has used the same ideas as me because they could've thought of them but decided that they are too preposterous. Also, yesterday night I completed the CAR-Arcanum mod for the first time. It has a few good ideas, but to be honest most of the new content feels rather generic, like that I have seen it before, in other games. Then again, it is difficult to make a modification with lots of innovation, considering it is based on another person's game.

Guten Morgen!

17. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

If you haven't played SpaceChem, do it now, good morning.

TheDavisChanger likes this.
  18. on1ondevelopment

on1ondevelopment Member

I just looked into that game, it looks like a great game! I love puzzle games, so it ought to be something for me. Good morning.

19. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

That's HoL for you. Ask a legitimate question, receive obscure cultural reference.

Good morning.

20. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

My need to remember Speed Racer outweighed my desire to answer the question at that time.

I'm pretty sure both variations work, depending only on how you'd like to present your subject. Saying "X is conspicuously absent" implies an active relationship to the current situation, while saying "X's absence is conspicuous" is more passive. I apologize if your need for a better thought out answer had a deadline.

Good morning.

Our Host!