Let's relax and calmly discuss homophobic people...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jojobobo, Aug 20, 2014.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    I don't know if it was that easily understood, given the fracas that ensued. Also, I've tried engaging with Japes in the past but found he doesn't often respond. So I thought maybe the problem was I was too relaxed and calmly discussing the issues, so instead I tried being more provocative this time. I guess it didn't work. Well, it kind of did work, but not in the way I wanted. LOOK IM SORRY OKAY GEEZ HOW MANY TIMES DO I GOTTA SAY IT. I HATE ALL OF U BUT PLZ BE FRIENDS WITH ME.

2. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

This ended up being a situation where all wayne had on me was a problem with what I thought you said (even though it had no positive or negative bearing on my actual point), and that I used to be in the throes of a psychotic break while posting here. If those are the two things he uses to talk down to me in a given thread, I think that means you had a readily apparent point, and the problem was simply a matter of inference rather than implication.

3. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

It's okay Smuel, I still <3 U buddy. I don't care what ur mom says about you, you're okay in my book.

4. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    See what I mean? I just can't get through to him.

5. wayne-scales

wayne-scales Well-Known Member

Man, when did this place go from an intellectual dick-measuring contest to one big emotional circle jerk?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  6. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

somewhere on page 7 I think. Also, having a civilized discussion does not exclude having a rational discussion.

7. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Least now you can get married seeing though you're all gay for each other it seems.

8. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    I'd rather be gay than whatever Jojobobo is.

Jojobobo likes this.
  9. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

So I guess we all make arguments really personal, loads of insults and shit gets thrown at one another, the thread gets vaulted and then members are far less likely to want to spark intellectual and interesting threads in the future? Sounds like loads of fun, and a sustainable model for the future of TA.

Honestly, loads of these threads devolve into that situation and what's the point? I know after my regrettable spat with Grakelin he posted a lot less frequently, and that was all because I used to be brash, get overly involved in arguments and be unable to take a step back - and he was an interesting guy which makes his disappearance unfortunate. Luckily I have the capacity to grow as a person, and now want to get involved in arguments because of the interesting perspectives they can bring rather than just to prove my intellectual cock is better at slapping people right in the face than yours.

I'm too old for this shit, man.

Grossenschwamm likes this.
  10. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

So it was you who took my Grakelin away from me. You monster!

11. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    You know, there is trolling and then there is being Ann Coulter. Mock people for their past medical history and expect disapproval in return. Show some fucking standards.

Jojobobo likes this.
  12. Jojobobo

Sometimes I feel hurt that you'll always be gayer for him than you were for me.*

On a more serious note, it's good that DE took a stand to say what wayne-scales said was rather shameful - and obviously Gross was offended. Personally I lacked the balls to intervene, but I do remember a time when I was calling Gross out on something and he said that people in general never stood in his defense. I guess I should have risen to the occasion as it was out of order. I'm not going to put anything forward in my defense as why I didn't bother, it wasn't great and any one of us could have stepped in.

Plus if you want to make things personal, I do recall a time when you were extremely curious about anti-depressants wayne. Calling someone out on mental illness when you may have suffered yourself (hey, I'm making assumptions on your curiosity here, and I do apologise) is pretty low. The reason why I made this thread in the first place was because I couldn't understand something in a facet of mental illness, and rather than act like a dick about it I asked people to challenge my view about it. Japes certainly set me straight on the other side of the fence, and I've learnt more from him intellectually posting his side of the story than I would have ever done quibbling like a tit.

My posting of a follow-up, now the ball-park has changed, was a logical extension of the original discussion and not designed to make people come to arms. Most people have managed to keep to the civil side of things.

*Not really, he was pretty cool.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  13. wayne-scales

Jesus, are we all meant to keep track of each other's medical history now, so that we can distinguish between serious problems and Xyle-level bullshit?

14. Jojobobo

When you flag up someone else's mental history from four years ago, yes I'd say so. And I guess people should always delineate the sane crazy people like me and you, from the supposedly insane people with any mental illness like everyone else.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  15. Jojobobo

Even if you do think people aren't speaking rationally, do you think publicly denouncing such people is appropriate? Do you have any idea about more complex and psychotic mental illnesses at all?

16. Jojobobo

Oop, there went a deleted post (in between my other two, damn these new forums and their lack of traceability - I'm sure wayne would be just thrilled to deny otherwise).

17. wayne-scales

Right well I didn't know the guy had actually been unwell. I don't necessarily happen to know about "more complex and psychotic mental illnesses," unlike Dr. Internet above me, and I don't know that I've ever read Gross mentioning that.

18. Jojobobo

I guess that was after the point you continued giving him more hassle after he informed you his last psychotic break had been 4 years ago (you can delete more posts retroactively if you want, it definitely strengthens arguments).

If you can't tell, more than anyone else here in recent years, you have just rubbed me the wrong way.

19. wayne-scales

I think if you were more concerned with actually following the situation instead of just biting my head off, you'd see that I posted only once more about it before I realised that he was talking about an actual psychotic break and not just throwing around terms like "crazy" or "insane" as you were four or five posts ago.

20. Jojobobo

So condemning people over past behaviour is a-okay in your book, just so long as it's just the once?
    And if it wasn't clear, I was wearing those terms on my sleeve and appreciating the irony of ascribing myself as such - as most people would quite comfortably call me that given my past history (I mean Jesus, I'm obviously 100% more rational in having irrational ideas that dog me most of the time rather than those properly "irrational" people).

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
Our Host!