Who needs a song?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jojobobo, Jul 13, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Given the recent upsurge of Russian garbage, this:

Plus I also owned the original gameboy game, and on the DS game I completed all the levels with my ninja thumbs and being able to stall time by hitting that button that lets you rotate a piece almost indefinitely.

With thumbs like mine, you better fucking watch yourselves.

2. Jojobobo

3. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    YouTube says, "This video is not available. Sorry about that."

However, speaking of giving her a go.....

4. Ring lord

Ring lord Member

Reminded me that he exists...

Not sure yet if it's a good thing or not... o_O

5. Jojobobo

In light of Radiohead's creepy ad campaign I mentioned earlier, here's this:

You thought it was going to be a Radiohead song didn't you??!!?? Well no it was of a semi-attractive lady, however I thought I'd remind you all of the dendritic syphilitic weasel known as Russell Brand that plowed her instead. Just imagine me, or Smuel, or ytzk if he were British, all mounting her with our British hair and our British seed and our maybe British nationality, defiling her with Brand-like sexual prowess plowess plowness, Disgusting, I know.

Think of it every night when you sleep,

And with that good morning.. I mean shit wrong thread,

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  6. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

One of the new gems I heard on the local radio somewhat recently
    [youtube]

7. Jojobobo

So, submitted for the approval of the Midnight Society, here's some other weird artist I've been listening to. Songs first and then my nagging questions later, at least if you don't listen to the first one wholly then listen to the second one a bit for the tonal change:

So firstly, they're all vaguely electronica - at least that's what I'd describe them with my superior and in-no-way-layman musical taste. However....

The first song literally mentions the singer's fear of going out at night for fear of a psycho sneaking up on her and killing her, and then says she'll "see you on a dark night". So it sounds like to me she wishes murder on someone, which is slightly weird in the first place, but this song is also massively popular. And looking at the comments, there's douchebags saying, "Huh, yeah, it's super ironic, because the music video is engaging in activities that people listening to this song never would." Given the vaguely-Radiohead strains, I get the point, but anyone saying something is ironic in that vein in a mainstream youtube channel is always going to be a douche - and also I think that rings false, there's definitely a broader appeal here, somehow.

And then there's the views, I mean 24 million - was this featured on a film or something? From my extremely lazy searching it doesn't appear so, which is why I find the rampant popularity inexplicable.

Second is the extremely poppy, like Carly Rae Jepsen/Taylor Swift/Katie Perry (for the last one, just picture it), but for me it still has darker strains with the whole abuse theme. Again, the tonal shift here from the previous video is what I find jarring - musicians can change up their style but this is crazy different.

Then there's the last song (and good luck getting the nonsensical chorus out of you head), but it has strains of what from I remember kinda happy hardcore (synthing a voice in places for the higher hamster-like tone). Also she's referring to herself as a man, and as fine with the LGTBQHMWLKALSKJLAKJSL community as I am (I added the extra letters for future generations with their added sexualities), I'm not entirely sure I get the point. I mean the artist isn't LGTBQHMWLKALSKJLAKJSL as far as I know, so explain because the more detailed message is lost on me.

Ultimately, I don't see the through-thread here in terms of her songs, which I find baffling. Very different music in each one, even though I like them all, particularly the first one. Unveil the hipster knowledge I'm lacking to fit the pieces into place, and I'll be happy.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  8. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    I don't think there's any critical thing you're missing here - Grimes is just a more versatile composer than most pop artists, and also less manufactured so won't be sticking to a particular genre for the sake of maintaining a specific fanbase for commercial reasons. If you like, she's more of a musician's musician - Elton John is a fan for example.

I think you see the same kind of effect with Sia - personally I think that Cheap Thrills has quite a different sound from Chandelier, but it doesn't seem to hold her back. I think it's maybe a result of the improvements in technology and the decline of the power of music labels. These days you can make almost any kind of sound you like on a computer in your bedroom using free programs, and then distribute the music for nothing. So expect more and more musicians to refuse to conform to your stuffy old man categorisations. We're living in the future!

Jojobobo likes this.
  9. Jojobobo

So after Smuel's rather intellectual and astute dissection of music business trends, here I am just to lower the tone and post songs again.

So first, for all you hippy liberal types, here's a song. It has (a) a soft spoken woman mispronouncing the word "crook", (b) an acoustic guitar and (c) I don't really have to give a (c) because the people reading this far already committed to the premise of (a) and (b) and are obviously in a deep state of arousal.

To be honest, I was hoping for some sea-monster on minotaur action at the end of that video - you know, things just smashing together. But I guess I'm just not supposed to happy.

I was resolved to put up a quirky upbeat mainstream rock video. But seeing as I'm such a lover of mainstream pop these days, you'll have to "enjoy" some Scottish synth pop, here you go:

It's pronounced "churches", for anyone wondering about their douchey name.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
    ytzk likes this.
  10. TheDavisChanger

I heard this the other morning and it took me back to a simpler time when Grrl Power wasn't obnoxious and all men weren't rapists.

11. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

One of my all-time favorite artists: The Horrorist;

12. Arthgon

13. TheDavisChanger

14. Arthgon

Join us...join us....join us....WELCOME BACK!!!

15. Arthgon

16. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Wow. Skimming this thread has convinced me of how awful of taste in music all of you have.

17. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Music taste is pretty subjective. I really don't go to this thread much either.

18. TheDavisChanger

I have a soft spot for glam rock (may be NSFW, I forget):

19. Arthgon

20. Arthgon

Or do you want something harder so that...

Or some blast from the past?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
Our Host!