You say potato, I say shut up

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Jojobobo, May 31, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

How do you pronounce "Arcanum"

1. ar·cain·num

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. ar·can·num

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. ar·car·num

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. other because I'm weird

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

So I know the correct pronunciation of "Arcanum" is ar·kay·num, but that pronunciation has always left a bitter taste in my mouth. The is no earthly reason why that middle syllable should be pronounced "kay" - it should be "ca". The only reason I can see for it being pronounced like this is because they wanted it to sound - rather awkwardly - like arcane; or that Tim Cain was such an egomaniac at the time he wanted his name in a title and the proper rules of pronunciation be damned!

Really it should be ar·ca·num, but being the massive hypocrite I am Ipronounce it incorrectly as ar·car·num - when I first bought the game in the shop many moons ago I had decided that this was how it was pronounced and so the name stuck irrespective of what is said in the game. So for those you who don't know, I call this forum Terra "ar·car·num".

So without further ado - how do you pronounce "Arcanum"? Or am I the only one who pronounces it incorrectly?

2. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

Isn't it supposed to be pronounced ar-kay-num [α:'keɪnəm]?

3. Jojobobo

Yes it is, at least in the game (I suppose ar-kay-num is a better way of putting it then ar-cain-num so I'll change the poll and my original post) - but there's no real precedence in the english language for it to be pronounced as such. At least with ar-ca-num or with ar-car-num there are plenty of similar words pronounced with short or long A's.

EDIT: Actually there's no way to change the poll now but I'd imagine people know what I mean.

4. General Mandible

General Mandible New Member

I always said Ar-can-num until I heard it said in the game, but I agree that Ar-kay-num sounds dumb, even though it makes sense.

5. DivinePonies

DivinePonies Member

6. Wasted_Savior

Wasted_Savior Member

I always pronounced it ar-kay-num. Like the word arcanum.... I figured that is how they meant to use it anyways, I could be wrong and they were trying to invent a word. Doubt it though.

7. Jojobobo

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one!

8. Constipation

Constipation New Member

arcane = /ar-kay-n/
    therefore
    Arcanum = /Ar-kay-num/
    It's only logical.

9. friartuck

friartuck New Member

It is an actual English word with a standard pronunciation. It's the singular form of arcana, as in the Tarot cards.

Also, for English language precedence, how about the word "arcade" or the cities called "Arcadia?"

10. Jojobobo

Arcade ends with an "E" though and Arcadia has an "E" sound after it, so it's often the case that words like that an "ay" sound in them. Arcanum has no such voweliness (definitely the correct techinal term, obviously).

11. friartuck

friartuck New Member

I see where you're coming from. The word's adapted directly from Latin, though, so it doesn't play by the same rules for spelling and pronunciation as similar words with more twists in their etymologies. This reminds me of a poem...

12. Jojobobo

Going by what you said earlier however if it is derived from latin and from arcana (which as you noted is the plural) "Arcanum" would be a 2nd declention neuter singliar noun - and if it is from latin it would be pronounced "ah" or "ar" depending on the metre of the sentence derived from scansion; none of this "ay" business. As I said before there isn't really any precedence for it being pronounced as such (latin knowledge stolen from fiancée who studies latin texts).

13. friartuck

friartuck New Member

You (and your fiancee) are spot on, so far as I know. I'm grasping here, but I think it would be the accusitive form of arcanus ("secret, concealed"), which is, as you say, second declension neuter. So the odd pronunciation must come from elsewhere.

Here's my best guess: the Online Etymology Dictionary claims "arcane" entered the English language 50 years before "arcanum." Most likely, the former was in frequent enough use by that time that non-Classicists looked to it for a key to pronouncing the "new" word.

14. Jojobobo

You're quite possibly right, it's an interesting interpretation regardless so thanks for sharing.

15. DivinePonies

DivinePonies Member

I think that pronunciation varies from country to country, depending on the language spoken there (in general). For example, everyone I've talked about Arcanum in person (not a large number of people) pronounced it Ar-car-noom (first 'R' is not left out, just to clarify). Not because they don't know better, but because it's just easier and we don't have to 'struggle' with correct English stresses and pronunciation. I believe that's the case in all Slavic language speaking countries. Well, there are of course those who like to sound 'cool' and pronounce it Ar-kay-num as it should be pronounced, but those are in minority. Another reason for this kind of pronunciation is that, for example in Serbian/Croatian language, we say every letter of a word as it it written, so that second 'a' is not pronounced as 'ay' but rather as a *sound you make when you open your mouth at the dentist/doctor*.

16. Crypton

Crypton Member

Exactly the same way as the guy in the trailer, because I learned the pronunciation from that. In Czech, it's pronounced ar-kaa-num :)

17. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I met a guy who pronounced it "Ar-can-um" (with a short 'n' sound, rather than the longer 'n' sound I assume the pole option implied). I liked everything else about him, but that pronunciation.

18. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

For some reason I pronounce it ARE-cun-um. Emphasis on the first syllable. Don't ask me why.

"But Philes, why do you-"

"I SAID DON'T ASK ME WHY"

19. Rupert Pupkin

Rupert Pupkin New Member

I picked the second option and it's probably because I'm French and first played the game in French before switching to the original language.

20. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

Our Host!