YO-HO-HO mother fuckers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mrnobodie, May 24, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

See, that almost never happens for me. I can have double the culture of anyone else, be surrounding a city of theirs with my superior way of life, and it avails me nothing. Course, if you have enough military units in a city, it won't defect...and I'm also only playing with patch 1.17f, which could be a problem, but I can't be assed downloading the latest one...although, now that I've said that, I'm going to.

2. Sea Dog

Sea Dog New Member

3. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Update: I'm kicking much ass with the Persians, and I've absorbed about 5 Zimbabwean cities through my far superior culture. I have so much more than anyone else I'd say a cultural victory is possible. I also patched the game to 1.29f, and it's heaps better - no barbarians means no free techs for me, but it also really fucks over expansionist civs who really get an early advantage. So suck shit to them, because I'm a world leader now baby :).

4. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

Which brings me to the reason why I have'nt been here lately, as I've been playing MOO3 pretty much constantly for the last two weeks... and i mean constantly, the only time i've turned my system off or even quit/closed the game in the last two weeks was about five hrs ago after installing Beyond Divinity, which I'm about to play after i go looking for any patches for it and some other games i bought today. EB Games had a sale on the same day my copy of B. D. that i've had reserved for so fucking long, so i geuss it's a good thing i had to wait so fucking long as i managed to pick up Beyond Divinty, Breed and Deus Ex for just over a hundred buck's.
    But back to MOO3, I've yet to get up to 700 turns and/or past lvl 40 for tech before having my fine arse handed to me or about to get my fine arse handed to me and starting again before it happens.but I think I'm onto a winner with this game as I'm seven tech lvl's ahead of the next race and i've just put Titan sized orbitals and system ships on all my planets.... and no I'm not cheating* I'm playing on normal difficulty and kicking ass... for now.

*although any cheat's would be aprecciated :wink:

5. DEATH AT THE DOOR

DEATH AT THE DOOR New Member

I love Beyond Divinity. Sure there are bugs and the sys-requirements are a bit high for a game with 2d backgrounds but still this is a great game. Interesting skill system, good chracter customization and at least *SOME* tactics, unlike other games.

Speaking of tactical games, I remember I spoke with Canis on Larian forums about Baldur's Gate 2 which she didn't like. She told me to ask about people's opinions on Terra Arcanum. So, do you people really dislike BG2?

mrnobodie:
    You mean Deus Ex 2, right?

*Edit: changed 'he' for 'she'.

6. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

Nope, Deus Ex is all that's on the cover so I'm tipping it's not Deus Ex 2.... that and it only cost me $7.49

7. DEATH AT THE DOOR

Ah, alright.
    A good game anyway, in fact, some claim DE2 was a flop. Can't agree with them because I haven't played DE2... Stupid Pentium 3 666MHz compy :/ .

8. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

just so you know, Canis is also a chick. and most of us do indeed hate all things Baldur's Gate.

9. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

The entire BG series sucks. It has no redeeming features whatsoever. If I wanted to torture someone, I would force them to play through Bioware's catalogue of shitty games.

10. DEATH AT THE DOOR

Having loved most Bioware games (MDK2, BG1, BG1 exp, BG2, BG2 exp, haven't played KotOR), I would disagree.
    NWN was awful, though. Not only blocky characters, de-saturated colours and lack of any RPG elements but it also had a sucky storyline.

11. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I have tried playing Baldur's Gate, and it was like someone had shoved a red hot poker up my ass and everyone else was saying "You mean you DON'T like it?"

12. DEATH AT THE DOOR

Oh, for the love of god, would someone here explain me what EXACTLY he didn't like?

13. Sea Dog

Sea Dog New Member

I like BG2, BG throne of Baal and KotOR. But now I wanna play Alpha Centuri

14. Twilight'sHammer

Twilight'sHammer New Member

I wanna play Dungeon Siege, and once me and Chunks are done battling it out turn-based style in Msn, (with some help from SD) I'm probably going to go back to doing that.

15. Sea Dog

Sea Dog New Member

*Casts level eight eroticism on the whole forum*
    You now all look dead sexy with the exception of nobodie because he already was and I now have the world's biggest building in my pants

16. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Let's see...combat? Sucked. Storyline? Sucked. NPC's? Annoying. Interaction? Zilch.

Specifically, I found it very annoying being asked to do a heap of quests, including that gnoll castle and that mine, with shitty combat skills, zero spells and a handful of hitpoints. I don't care if I have 6 or half a dozen level 1 characters with me - I'm still facing a shitload of gnolls, any one of which can kill me in a single hit, and which give shit all experience. I found it impossible to level, complete any quests or generally achieve anything worthwhile. And no, I didn't quit the game because it was too hard, but it takes 1000 experience points to get to level 2 yes? Most things you have a hope of killing at level 1 give you about 15 experience...which means something on the order of about 70 kills to hit level 2. When you've only got 12 hit points, resting for 8 hours restores 1 of them and you're on a quest of supposed urgency, it kind of ruins any sort of fun or immersion factor for me.

Conclusion? BG sucked balls. I even had a look at the sample party from the Sword Coast expansion, who were supposedly near the end of the game, and they were level 6. Sorry, I am not playing my way through an apparently 'epic' game for less than half a dozen levels.

17. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    BG2 is actually pretty good, or so I think at least. I've never really played the original BG, and when I finally had the opportunity (long after I'd completed BG2), I wasn't impressed at all. Everything seemed worse compared with the sequel, and I never bothered going further than leaving the first town.

The big problem is that the games were based on 2nd edition D&D. That system should never had been invented... :x

18. Sea Dog

Sea Dog New Member

Well, I think we can all agree that the Diablo games are worse than BG2 for the exact reasons Jar outlined...except...worse

19. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

ah, but the Diablo's were excellent exercise for my clicking finger...

20. 5th_horseman

5th_horseman New Member

Health warning for some games;

"This game will cause RSI and carpel tunnel syndrome"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!