XP requirements

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by DMCain, Jun 27, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. DMCain

DMCain New Member

(not sure if this goes here or in general discussion)

I've dug thru the .mes files and found the xp_level.mes. I noticed that it has a note -

Has anyone edited this to the values that were originally intended? If so, how much does it affect general gameplay?

I got bored fairly easily since I was leveling so fast. Easily lvl 10, but usually mid-teens, before hitting Blackroot. So I doubled the listed values, except for lvl 41-50 where I doubled the value and tacked on an extra 10%. So far, this, along with a couple of custom backgrounds, has been the best change I could have made to the game. Makes it a bit more challenging, but not overly so.

DMCain

2. Darkform

Darkform New Member

the follower Dante in Blackroot needs you to be lvl 12+ to pickup and you can only get him at lvl 12+ AND while your doing the Blackroot taxes so you need lvl 12 fast. if you edit xp_level.mes you should add quests that give you the xp you need to gain the lvls by the same point in game you had to start until lvl 35 I think. at least I think lvl 35 is the last lvl that you can already reach a lvl required thing at a lower lvl than required easyly. of corse you could edit xp_level.mes and just edit all the lvls of followers and their scripts so that they are lower lvls when you find them.

3. DMCain

DMCain New Member

I dunno. If I need one of the NPC companions bad enough, I can just go beat on stuff (Liam's Workshop is a good place to get fast XP). Better XP than questing. So far I haven't had any problems with reaching the level requirements for any of the companions.

Between playing thru the game and looking at the file, I just thought a 4x multiplier was a bit much and would force grinding to get anything done. So far, doubling the XP requirement has worked out really well. I will be better able to judge the total effects once I get further into the game and finish it with the new requirements.

Besides, after hacking, bashing and cheating at the game for a couple months, I decided to make it harder instead of easier.

DMCain

4. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Try this:

I've added a lot of new monsters and it was messing with the leveling scheme. The resets he suggested have worked beautifully in keeping the PC from advancing too fast and at the same time, you are progressing at a reasonable rate.

5. DMCain

DMCain New Member

That looks like a fairly good level scheme. I've been thinking of altering the mid and upper levels (20+) quite a bit, but not sure if it would work out well or not. Here's my thought on the progression --

1-10 - 1x
    11 - 1.1x
    12 - 1.2x
    20 - 2x
    21 - 2.1x
    22 - 2.2x
    ... (you get the idea)

Would begin a fairly steep learning curve around the mid 30's. The 2x xp I'm currently using is working fairly well so far, but is a bit too linear for my tastes. So, in the end, I'll probably use Darkform's plan or a similar scheme.

DMCain

Our Host!