wtf, how to deal with Brute Fangs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Coffeegrrl, Sep 15, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Coffeegrrl

Coffeegrrl New Member

In Black Hills Clan mines, there is this one staircase where you go down and immediately get attacked by 3 Brute Fangs. I've tried about a dozen times, I cant get past this spot.

I'm level 16, a gun-toting thief, not a combat powerhouse by any means. My followers are Magnus, Sogg, Virgil, and Jayna. They are all level 16.

I go down stairs, my main character gets to move, then all 3 Brute Fangs attack, and then my followers go.

Two of the Brute Fangs attack Sogg. They each hit 3 times each for around 25-30 damage each time, for like close to 100 damage. Sogg dies instantly, every single time.

The third Brute Fang then kills one of the other followers with another 100 or so damage attack.

After that, next round, they each kill the remaining two followers, and then me.

The above has happened every single time down the stairs, the Brute Fangs have not missed an attack yet. My followers do not Dodge often enough to make a difference.

So, two members of my party die instantly before they can even attack. I dont even get a chance to heal.

Is 16 just too low for this? I've done a bunch of side quests, and this is in line for the main plot.

Do I need better equipment? I just have not gotten the money to buy the good armor in shops. Do I need to stand there and save/reload every piece of gold all the shopkeepers have, and buy better armor? That seems so cheesy.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Coffeegrrl on 2001-09-15 01:09 ]</font>

2. RightTurnClyde

RightTurnClyde New Member

Very difficult task. The tactic I used was to draw them out of their little area one at a time. When you hear the growl which indicates that you've been spotted, imediatly hit the "R" key for turn based and run away. He will follow, draw him far enough away so his buddies wont see you attack him. Repeat the process. You may find yourself reloading a lot to only attract the attention of one B.F., and you may need to instruct your followers to spread out and back off until you are out of site of the others.

3. Coffeegrrl

Coffeegrrl New Member

that's not the part i mean

This is the second time I've encountered a group of Brute Fangs. The first time, the one you're talking about, they're in a room and you can see them from a distance. Those guys I got past.

This one is a group of 3 Brute Fangs right at the bottom of stairs. All 3 attack you as soon as you go down, you have no time to draw one of them out, throw grenades, or anything.

Its the stairs at the end of the area where there is like a garden room full of herbs you can pick up, and there are a couple of rooms with Dark Elf Thieves, and there are traps everywhere.

4. Coffeegrrl

Coffeegrrl New Member

o i c

Never mind, I backtracked and found out you dont have to fight those guys.

5. masCh

masCh New Member

I know that one you're talking about.

There is actually another way to meet up the brute fangs, not through the stairs you went up (you get your ass handed to you if you go thru the stairs). The other way to get there is from the entrance to that garden place, right next to it, you can go top right and there's a path there that leads to the brutes.

What I did was ask all my followers to wait somewhere far but not too far, drop a bunch of those spike traps, fire a shot at a brute and in turn-based run and hide behind the traps. You'll kill at least 2 of them while they try to make their way to you with 15 of those traps around you. Your followers and you can take on the other 2.

6. Wookie7

Wookie7 New Member

The other thing to do is to use Molotov Cocktails on them. Talk about a ridiculously overpowered weapon--wait, we have talked about that before :grin:

Anyway, one of the best tactics around, though I still feel dirty using it, is to carry around lots of those firebombs and toss them at the bad guys. You can use them point blank with no damage to you or your group. And they cost no AP's to use. You can destroy creatures 4x your level with them, no problem.

7. cnedescu

cnedescu New Member

How I deal with Brute Fang. I understand that your thief use guns. OK!! Choose looking glass rifle. You'll be able to kill one from 3, sometime 2, shots. At least this was for me. I think even you don't want to be a tech war machine is good to have 12 perception, expert guns and put 4 ponts to be able to buil a looking glass rifle. You'll
    spend about 10 points but you'll be able to beat almost everything and your teach will grow with 35%.

8. cnedescu

cnedescu New Member

Excuse my mistakes, I'm still sleepy.

9. Acacia22

Acacia22 New Member

Fortuantely I had the 'Charm Beast' spell, the spell not only worked, but they stay charmed whenever I return to Black Mountain without having to maintain or cast it again!

10. tarin

tarin New Member

i ve a question
    WHAT IS A BRUTE FANG ?
    i found out that it is an animal that makes 30-40 damage
    but what kind of animal is it ? i cant remember of some hard enemy s in one of dwarf clans

11. Acacia22

Acacia22 New Member

I think a Brute Fang is, for the most part, a wolf. A wolf on steroids.

12. tarin

tarin New Member

oh now i know what kind of animal you mean but that one was never a problem for me i killed him normaly with 3-5 shots of my good old fine revolver
    the dog from ashbury looks like one of these "reisszahnmonster" how their are named in the german version
    i think there is one of them in the backyard of the maug clan

13. Skie88

Skie88 New Member

Well, 4 me at level 15 mage of course, all of it goes down with just 2-3 fireflash, 2 agility of fire activated ofcourse just In case they get fast that...=)

Molotov cocktails should work I guess if your a techie...

14. Saint_Proverbius

Saint_Proverbius New Member

There's a Brute Fang in the northmost section of The Boil. It's being kept in a pen by Clan Maug.

That's probably the best way to get a look at one without having to fight it. :smile:

Oh, and I'm reasonably sure that Worthless Mutt is a Brute Fang.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saint_Proverbius on 2001-09-18 09:51 ]</font>

15. Blackwolf

Blackwolf New Member

Id almost say that worthless mutt is a brute fang on steroids sometimes :smile:

16. TechDude

TechDude New Member

Traps work too, I laid traps and lured them one at a time over the traps... they were fairly easy to finish off in one round after that. They run way fast tho so you need a good head start...

Molotov cocktails would do the trcik too, especially since your action points seem to gte re-set after every throw... I'm seriously considering starting over without explosives and throwing skill since it has made so many fights reduculously easy to win...

17. com2kid

com2kid New Member

I played that area at around level 30. . . .

Go complete the dragons blood quest first, heh, that should give you 10 or so levels :smile:

18. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

I went through Tarant sewers first, gained few levels there and invested everything in Intelligence and Gunsmithy so that I'd get Looking Glass Rifle. They're a laugh when you have this. Also your group will be more powerful due to levels and stuff that can be found in Tarant sewers. I think I was somewhere around level 20 when I dealt with these fangs.

Where do you get this quest???

19. com2kid

com2kid New Member

Yes indeed the looking glass rifle does own.

I just stole mine, heh. Well killed the pacifist dude and took it actualy, heh.

Go from Tarent to Blackroot, walking, you should stumble upon the Ancient Somthing or other, anyways, go in there, kill lots of baddies behind a locked door there is a skeliton dude who you can talk to, he will give you the quest. Finish it to get a l33t ass evil melee charecter ^_^

20. Saint_Proverbius

Saint_Proverbius New Member

No, no.. The Ancient Ruins is north west of Ashbury. Find a person to talk with in Ashbury and just keep talking to them about rumors. Eventually, that person will say something about an explorer finding some ancient ruins nearby.

In that Ancient Ruins dungeon, there will be a skeleton guy who won't attack you, he's in a room with a pile of dust. Talk to him and he'll give you the location of the Dungeon of the Dragon's Blood.

Our Host!