Would you?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Zanza, May 12, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Maloch

Maloch New Member

I'd lean towards magic as well, though I'd learn black necromancy,summoning and Mental collages. If I had to deal with someone like doc roberts, my summons,undead and mind controlled minions would make short work of him while I sat back and enjoyed the show.

2. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Based off of the mechanics in this game?

Magic. For sure. Every time. Anyone who picks a stupid gun when they can SHOOT GODDAMN FIREBALLS FROM NOTHING and instantly teleport wherever they want is a fool.

The only arguments that come close are the tesla gun, the deflecting top hat, and some of the cooler, more subtler stuff in chemistry that didn't work out too well in game but could be incredibly handy in real life.

3. General Mandible

General Mandible New Member

Magic for sure. I hate math and physics (doing it, that is, I like the idea and wish I was good), and building something would take a lot of that.

I'd study Mental and Black and White Necromancy. I'd be the best investigator ever, I'd just ask the dead bodies who did it. Or the best doctor, I'd just say some words and they'd heal. Or the best salesman, just Charm the hell out of them.

4. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

Magic. If it was all silent casting. I hate reading out spells.

5. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Magic, easy peasy. I'm borderline magical in the REAL world, for crying out loud. Mostly Necromantic White, with probably a little Mental (for Charm and Stun), Elemental Earth (Strength boost + Stone Throw) and either Summoning or Temporal thrown in.

6. knightlag

knightlag New Member

I'd go the mage route, mostly with the force college along with whatever the one has the teleportation spell.

7. General Mandible

Temporal would be super-awesome as well. Imagine in a fight, you'd just waste everyone real fast.

Conveyance (teleportation) would also rule, but that's a whole college of magic right there. I suppose it's worth it though. Then you can go on a free vacation to everywhere you want over a weekend.

How many spells/schematics are we allowed to learn in this question?

8. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

If you can cast Time Stop would be something cool as well.

I probably go for magic.

9. General Mandible

Yes, but it isn't total timestop, is it? It just slows it down significantly plus speeds it up for you.

A total timestop would be just about the most powerful of them all, especially mixed with teleportation.

10. Ramidel

Ramidel New Member

Question #1: I would...if I had someone behind me with a Resurrect scroll handy. (Why yes, it -does- work.)

Question #2: Technology, because I love my computer too much to want to let it go.

11. Minuos

Minuos New Member

I'd take magick, I think. Simply because I think it'd be worthwhile to cause some havoc with undead summons.

12. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

My turn to ask a question! It's a little bit spoileriffic, so it's going in a Spoiler Space.

So you've fought your way across the length and bredth of Arcanum, either doing good or evil or even sitting in between. You've found yourself in the Void, face to face with the man you came here to kill, only to hear his story and to realise that, in this at least, he is innocent. So, having heard his tale, would you release Arronax or would you leave him to rot for an eternity in the Void, alone and helpless?

Anyone who knows me knows what my answer is; for those who don't know me that well yet, the answer is the first option, not the second.

13. Minuos

Minuos New Member

Just as a precaution:
    I'd cut the elf some slack. Because I like his story, his portrait, and his age. Hell, I just like him. On that note though, I'd probably also release the Bane of Kree...so my logic is questionable.

14. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I like where this thread is going. It seems so... <i>:takes a deep breath:</i>... refreshing.

Think about stasis. It isn't a trap, it's in the temporal college after all. I believe it's mechanism is stopping time on a limited space, which is just enough for a typical creature to fit in.
    In terms of combat, tempus fugit (especially when combined with hasten) would make you fast enough to consider yourself the Flash fighting with zombies from Night of the Living Dead.

In real life Earth I'm definitely 100%. Hard to find a more rational-thinking, sceptical and analitical mind. Yet in real life Arcanum, knowing that magic exists and is possible to study, I would go for it without a second thought. There simply isn't a sphere of technology which magic doesn't do better, faster and easier. And a mage doesn't need any toys, he's deadly powerful even when he's completely naked.

I wouldn't believe him. Why should I? Just because he says so? I would consider the whole situation a trick, or a trap of some sorts. How could I be sure that he wasn't trapped by Kerghan two days before my own banishment for stealing his cookies, and now just pretends that it wasn't him involved in the whole Dark Elf affair?
    But even if I did believe him. He destroyed Vendigroth (How many people lived there? Thousands? Dozens of thousands?), and now all I get is his regret. It a little late for that, being sorry doesn't erase the evil aligment earned by his actions.
    Still, I have a specific view on morality, I would actually strongly consider joining Kerghan, which means a lot for most poeple. But no matter what would Arronax do, he doesn't deserve to be trapped in that shell forever. He deserves to have the chance to die, his soul deserves to have the chance to rest as much as any soul. So whatever would I do, I would leave him there. Either free him or kill him. I since I wouldn't believe his story, I would propably do the second, and still feel morally justificated about it even after I found out the truth.

15. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I would send my army of mechanized arachnids to claw his ass. In fact I would probably have so many of them that I would probably have just sent them in to do the dirty work while I sip on some earl grey. Always considered the mechanized arachnid to be a steampunk version of the replicators.

16. General Mandible

I'd probably kill him. The Void won't last forever so even if I just let him be there, he'd get out eventually. It's not that I don't like him, but he seems to be very powerful and I wouldn't want anyone back in Arcanum that could be a threat to me (being as powerful as you probably are at that point in the game).

17. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

Now it's my turn to ask some questions:

1. Would you be born as a human in real-life Arcanum or one of the other races?

2. Would you be born in real-life Arcanum with the same gender, or do you want to be born as the opposite sex?

18. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Human? Hell no. Humans live way too short compered to other races. I would go for elf. I'm not sure if I would want to live that long, but at least I would have the choice to do so. Plus they are the most skilled ones in magic (they have lots of time to learn it after all), they make great phisophers amd mystics and have sexy bodies. Well, maybe the lack of facial hair somewhat would bother me, but I could get over it.
    I wonder if there will be anyone actually wanting to be something different that a human or elf. And possibly half-elf.

As boring as it may sound, yeah.

19. General Mandible

20. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Human or half-elf, and I would stay male.

Our Host!