Would Terra-Arcanum benefit from a Wiki?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by DarkUnderlord, Jun 30, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

What do you think about a "Troika Games" wiki?

1. I love the idea and would add stuff to it daily.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. It's a great idea but I probably wouldn't add anything to it myself, instead hoping someone else out

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I don't mind either way.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I'd never use it. Ever.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. It's an out-right bad idea.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

I'm in the midst of umming and erring about putting up some new code here at Terra-Arcanum. The new code I have is what currently runs Duck and Cover (check out things like the news archives, content stuff, the poll, picture of the week and what-not). That code also uses a "wiki" for a database of information which news items can be posted about. There's the main wiki (Wikipocalypse) (which is sadly under-used) and the more-used Fallout Wiki (The Vault) which has a whole boat-load of info on Fallout.

My question is, do those that are here think it'd be worth giving it a shot? The idea is a wiki would be installed (possibly in a sub-domain like http://wiki.terra-arcanum.com) and anyone would be able to edit it to add in information about Troika Games and all of their games (Bloodlines, Arcanum, ToEE, Mystary). So quest information and anything and everything about the games would be in the wiki format, along with info on people who worked at Troika and whatever other "Troika stuff" people can dig up.

I can install the new code without the wiki, though there is a slight loss in functionality which I'd have to spend a bit of time coding to work around (basically to add in categories and what-not as at the moment, they're pulled from the wiki).

Take the poll and if you want, comment to let me know what you think. Fancy name suggestions for the wiki (presuming we go ahead with the idea) would also be useful, if you have any.

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Basically I'm just dying to see hard-earned Aussie tax money in action.

Encyclopedia Obscura?

The Temple of Elementary Knowledge?

The Troikapedia?

Terra Librarium?

3. mathboy

mathboy New Member

It must have a really long name like their games.
    My suggestion:

Troikapedia: A post Troikan temple of vampires, steamworks and obscure information

4. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    The above suggestion stole my heart.

5. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

6. DarkUnderlord

Troikapedia: A Post-Troikan (Troikian?) Temple of Vampires, Steamworks and Obscure Information it is then!

Wow. That was a mouthful.

7. Baal

Baal New Member

It’ll do MB, it’ll do.

8. DarkUnderlord

It's up, it's online, it's empty. Visit the Troikapedia: http://www.terra-arcanum.com/troikapedia/

I decided against installing it in a subdomain (they're a bitch to setup and manage over here). I won't announce it until it's got some more stuff in it other than the tentative stuff so far but please feel free to add and edit any content you feel should be there. It's a fairly flexible format so it can grow over time and we can just add the content for now and worry about categorising it and stuff later.

If you need help on how to use a wiki (they're not really that hard, just find a page, hit edit and start typing) you should visit the User's Guide.

9. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

See, now you've given me an excuse to play it again, and possibly beat the game this time.

10. xento

xento New Member

Aside from being fun for the regulars, I can't really see the point of it, since the number of new Troika gamers is but a small trickle. It'd be easier, at this point, to just answer questions in the forums, but this would have been a very good idea 2 or 3 years ago.

11. DarkUnderlord

That's what they said about Fallout too. I think there's a use for it though, provided we get just enough crazy people to add to it. Terra-Arcanum is still getting about 10 new members signing up per day. Having all the quests detailed along with everything else in one big wiki means it becomes a huge drawcard and something everything can use.

12. Baal

Baal New Member

Hay Du, a little something for the frunt page…

[​IMG]

(why is it that i can't post .BMP file any more, too big?)

13. xento

xento New Member

BMP files should never be used on webpages.

And it's "front"; not "frunt".

14. Baal

Baal New Member

oops... I was typing too fast.

15. DarkUnderlord

Sure, you make one that doesn't look like crap and then maybe we will.

BMP files also can't be included in phpBB [ img ] tags.

16. xento

xento New Member

[​IMG]
    Large

[​IMG]

I can change it in any way you like.

17. DarkUnderlord

You know xento, the Codex is looking for a graphics person to do a site revamp...

I love the concept. The font at the bottom needs to have a more "dirty look" - similar to the word "Troika" in the actual company logo. It's too clean at the moment. I'd also break the "A Post-Troikan Temple of Vampires, Steamworks and Obscure Information" up over two lines to:

A Post-Troikan Temple of Vampires,
    Steamworks and Obscure Information

Then mess with the font a bit to make those two lines the same width as the word "Troikapedia" above it.

I love it though. Only down-side is it's impossible to read the words in the smaller version.

18. xento

xento New Member

There are two versions; one is a bit darker, but I like the color better. The other is a bit lighter and it's color blends a bit better with the background. Both are still difficult to read at 120x120, but it can be read, of one looks closely.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any other changes you would like?

19. DarkUnderlord

I prefer the second one because I can't read the first one at all, really.

Two things for perfection:
    1. Move the "Troikapedia: blah blah" bit down towards the bottom of the book. I'm mainly after a larger gap between the bottom of the "Troika logo" and the beginning of the "Troikapedia" text so they don't look completely merged.
    2. The font of the "Troikapedia". Can you do that spacing thing so that the three lines of text you've added are all the same width? For example:

Code:
      Here is some text
      This  is  less  text
      t      e       x      t
      Kinda get the idea of what I'm talking about?
    ... and seriously. The Codex is deperate for design help... If you think you're tough enough to handle teh presh0r (or are evenly remotely interested or something).

20. xento

xento New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hopefully I caught the look you wanted. If not, I can continue to refine it to your tastes.

Our Host!