Would a MMORPG Work Where

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GarmGarf, Oct 2, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. GarmGarf

GarmGarf New Member

Would a MMORPG work where there are 3 factions, one being pro magic, another pro technology, and the third being like a neutral faction of mercenaries where players of this faction may switch to the magic or tech, and also that the magic and tech factions are in a kinda cold war, with the neutral faction kinda being neutral in the middle (being able to serve both the other factions)?

(Oh, and there is the whole magic vs tech fictional theory thing going on.)

2. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

I believe that the concept could work, yes. Depending of course on the surrounding factors.

3. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

An MMO is just a delivery system, really. You can make an MMO game based on just about anything that isn't completely retarded. It just needs to be well constructed and executed. Say what you want about World of Warcraft, but that game reeks of excellent planning and implementation.

Also, the thought of an Arcanum MMO arouses me just a little bit.

And if a truly great Fallout MMO was ever made, you'd never see my fat ass again. EVER

4. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

I don't know about Magic/Tech, but I just had a sweet idea about an MMO where you can be American, Russian, or Cuban...

5. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

And I just took a shit a couple of hours ago. Nobody cares.

6. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Huh... that could really work.

And yes, the thought of an Arcanum MMO makes me all giggly. That would kick about fifty zillion kinds of arse.

7. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

I am, and will always be, a die-hard supporter of strictly single-player or co-op RPGs. Immersion in the story just doesn't happen when there are scores of idiots running around dancing, jumping around in circles and speaking in incomprehensible game lingo gibberish, and when the greatest depth achieved by any of the quests is, "Go kill X number of Y creature and I will give you money."

8. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I stand by Japes with this one. I dislike MMO's of all most all types. The only game with online play that I enjoyed very much Dungeon Siege. Then again, the plot for Dungeon Siege was beautifully transparent. ^_^

9. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong, I love a great cRPG like Arcanum and Fallout, but I enjoy some aspects of MMOs as well. Two different things totally.

And dungeon siege was like a diable clone in 3D without the Blizzard polish.

10. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Unfortunately, I have heard rumours about a Fallout MMO done by Bethesda. True, it's the next logical step in their quest to utterly destroy Fallout, but they don't even have the decency to ruin things with the tiniest touch of class.

It sucks when you're right, Philes.

11. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

They might be doing a Elder Scrolls MMORPG to.
    A year ago or so they registered "Elderscrollsonline.com", but said that there were no plans on doing such a game, but registered it to prevent anyone else from doing so, if they would decided to create such a game later on.

12. GarmGarf

GarmGarf New Member

Hmm. Alrighty; thanks for the comments people; I'm a little bit more relieved.

Anyways, the game might not just be as simplistic as I stated in the opening post, and the 3rd faction wouldn't be an alliance of people, but rather just the state of not being in the magic or tech factions. There could be other clashes implemented as well, like nations in war for non-magic/tech reasons (such as political ideas or religions), and particular nations even within the magic or tech factions could still have issues with other nations for perpendicular reasons to the magic-tech clash, but the main clash in the first continent available in the game may be focused on the magic vs tech factions.

(Oh, and the game's idea was inspired by Arcanum!)

13. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Ideally, politics and religion would be heavily interwoven with the use of magic and tech as it is. What about an important magic relic sitting in a temple on an oil deposit, for example? Plenty of opportunities for conflicting interests right there.

Of course, such storylines are best employed in singleplayer RPG's. An MMO with a tech/magic conflict will devolve into a question whether you prefer to kill people with hot lead or fireballs.

14. verdorien

verdorien New Member

Tech vs Magic MMORPG would be great, but 2 factions would be enough the third one would just get in the way.

15. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

There would have to be a third one. I know I sure as hell wouldn't want to align myself with one side. I'd go around doing whatever I felt was appropriate in whatever situation: That is, whatever gets me the most gold. :p

16. GarmGarf

GarmGarf New Member

Good idea actually! But just so that the game isn't too rigid, and so that there will be room for players who choose to be neutral on the whole magic vs tech theme, there would ideally be other battle opportunities and alliances implemented into the game.

In all fairness, everything works better in RPGs than in MMORPGs (besides pvp I guess).

Well, at the moment, there isn't really a third faction. Imagine like World of WarCraft where players can choose to not be part of the Horde or Alliance, and just be with no one. So their isn't really a third alliance possibility, but a third "state of magic-tech alliance" option, being neutral. Ideally though there will be many other clashes happening so a player can still have an alliance even if they don't enlist into the pro magic or pro tech ones.

Yeah, basically, players wont have to enlist into either the pro magic or pro tech faction. In fact, players might not be able to start the game enlisted into either (I'll think about that). Still, depending on the starting town that player chooses, they may have a conflict right from the begining of the game, even if it isn't the magic-tech one (like water beats invading their home town's farms or something, or better still: pirates!).

Our Host!