Worthless mule????

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by wastelandhero, Apr 22, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. wastelandhero

wastelandhero New Member

Is there a way to hack Worthless Mutt so he can at the least carry stuff for you? He would make a very good pack animal.

2. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

You do understand that it's a free follower who's somewhat kickass in combat, right?

3. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Assuming this is for your personal game -

I don't know which WorldEd you're using but follow the procedure to access the map.
    Original game: Arcanum.dat/maps/Arcanum1-024-fixed
    A:WIP: Arcanum.patch1/maps/Arcanum1 - Note name change.

You'll find the Mutt is at 32234 X 62469.
    Right-click on him, then left click on Flags.
    You'll see a selection of check-boxes with some of them checked.
    Find the one marked Animal and click on it. This will remove the check.
    Click OK to close the flags, then OK to close the Edit section, and Save in the upper left corner of your screen.
    Now the Worthless Mutt can carry up to 7500 stone in weight.

Exit WorldEd according to the version you're using, start the game and enjoy the result.

4. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Would it be possible for you to make that into some form of "bonus pack" or something that I could easily initiate into my edition of Arcanum?

5. wastelandhero

wastelandhero New Member

Yes I do understand this, I love Mutt like a family member. I am currently running a game with him as my only follower and was wondering if he could be used to carry supplies into BMC mines and the dredge so I don't have to keep exiting and restocking.

Rroyo: I am running A:WIP 3.0 and have the world ed that comes with the patch.

Will I have to restart my game after changing Mutt?

When I fire up world-ed I have to select a module but there is none to select, and if I type in Arcanum it says it does not exist. What am I doing wrong?

6. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    The only inventory Dog should have is a tiny space to accomodate a small keg of brandy.

7. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

D.E. - Now why didn't I think of that?

Wasteland & Dark Fool - Check your P.M.s.

And yes, if you already have the mutt, you will need to either use a save prior to going to Ashbury or start a new game. (Possible save game corruption)

Edit: I was a bit rushed this morning.

It's been about 2 years since I've used the 1.0.7.4, so I hope this is right.

WorldEd - For select module choose Arcanum.patch1.
    This may take a while to load into the 1.0.7.4, so be patient.
    When you get a screen of grass, go to File, Open, click no when it asks if you want to save the changes to Untitled, and choose Arcanum1.
    Type in the coordinates listed above in the Location boxes and click Set.
    You should be looking at the Mutt and gnome in Ashbury.

8. wastelandhero

wastelandhero New Member

I tried your instructions and still the message that it does not exist. I PM'D you about this but I will post here. Mutt has no melee skill points. 3 into dodge, but 0 into melee. If this is going to be a pain to do I won't be offended if you scrap it. Thanks for everything so far.

9. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Your PM never came through.
    Did you get the one I sent I couple days ago?

And - Here's what I see when I fire up the 1.0.7.0 WorldEd:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o314/rroyo/Arcanum/WorldEd.jpg

The "Arcanum" listed is the main dat.
    By choosing .patch1 I can work on my hack.

If you want, get me a screenshot of what you have.

10. wastelandhero

wastelandhero New Member

You know what, this is starting to be too much of an issue for my in game laziness. Thank-you for humoring me on this and for all of your efforts, they are appreciated greatly. I will stick to how Mutt should be.

I am curious though about Mutt having no melee skills in your hack. Was that intentional on your part, seeing as a pack mule would not be used for fighting? Or was it an oops?

11. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Download Arcanum Character Editor. Give him a point or two in Melee. Issue solved. :)

12. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

It was an oops. I just unpacked the patch2 and took a look. Sure enough, the Mutt's melee skills got wiped.

This is the third time WorldEd has done this to me - that I know of....

Say the word and I'll make a new one - or wait a couple months and you can have it all. I'm going to try having the Mutt be able to carry stuff and see what kind of feedback I get about it.

Edit: Damned hairball got nerfed in my hack too!

13. team a

team a New Member

As you probably know, making arcanum expansions isn't my area of expertise, but this intrigued me. Are you saying that you can edit a *.patch* file and worlded will automatically load the original module underneath, and only save your new changes into the .patch*? Or am I misunderstanding you?

14. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Now that I re-read that - there's a little something I noticed. WorldEd won't recognise a .patch file unless it's unpacked and in folder form.
    I've got too much going on and I do apologise for giving bad advice.

team a: It doesn't load the other maps from the main module but WorldEd will let you use all the art resources of the main game and - provided you are working from a patch - will save the change to the patch file, and that's what you'll see in the game.
    You will also need to have things like the maplist.mes and townmap.mes in the patch file to make it function like a DAT.

One thing to note though: When I redid the SH temple interior the rats kept appearing in the new interior until I changed the name of the new interior on the map I was using and the two map list files. Then they were gone. Now the game engine reads only the new interior.
    Something to remember if you should replace an existing object with something else.

I hope this came out right. I'm still working on my morning coffee.

Our Host!