Working on my internet creeper credentials.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vorak, Feb 18, 2014.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Re:

Considering most high school kids are texting in class, and I was writing notes at that age, I'm guessing 30 is the new 60.

2. werozzi

werozzi Member

Texting?
    Nah, my schoolmates spend their class-time whatsapp-ing or whatever the verb for using it is nowadays.
    The new trend on note taking seems to be a quick snapshot of the whiteboard after class, and there you go future rocket scientists!

And also, Wobbs, last time I checked, you can sign up to FB with nothing but a phone number.

My brother's best friend/unconfessed lover tends to do at least two FB grovps for every single school project. That comment hit the nail, ytzk.

3. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

I've been in a few group projects and the like that tried to insist on using facebook. My solution is to always volunteer to take on the most important piece of the work so that they need you and then refuse to use facebook. They can plead as much as they like but stay firm and say you are doing the sensible thing and sending everyone emails and that the data will be stored in skydrive, google drive or some other equivalent so that everybody has ease access. You have not refused to put the info online and are using services everyone will already have anyway. How is it fair to expect someone to sign up to a service that they don't have when everyone else already has access to perfectly good alternatives? I have never encountered anyone without an email address and an internet connection but who somehow still had facebook so my solution has always worked thus far.

As to not having facebook, well nobody in my family except my sister in law uses it so far as I'm aware and most of my close friends don't either. In fact I can think of 2 friends who have stopped using it because none of the rest of us were ever on there and another friend who got a message from a job he didn't even have anymore when he logged in for the first time in 17 months. I have always been able to reach people through forums, private messages, emails and chat rooms or even telephone calls and written letters (yes I still send those). Given that I have had no issues getting my communication sorted using the above methods why would I want to move to what is essentially a halfway step between all of the above? You want me to take less specific tools that pretty much nobody I know uses and try and apply them? No thanks.

Also without dragging work into it to much I can think of 2 cases where I have fired people over stuff they put on facebook so you always have to remember that everyone else is watching you on there.

I have conceded that text messages are of occasional use but I still don't like them. It seems wrong to take a device specifically designed to remove the need for writing a letter to someone and use it to write them a letter.

4. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

After your last post, I'm assuming you did the firing by either carrier pigeon or wireless telegraphy?

5. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

The only way to fire someone is to their face and with a good reason as to why.

If you have to resort to any other method (excluding that the other party refuses to meet with you) I would question whether your reasons are all that valid.

But yes, I do actually have some carrier pigeons.

6. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

String and cup more like.

7. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want to be the pigeon delivering your "Step into my office" message.

8. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Pigeons? I send heralds with proclamations on parchment.

9. Grossenschwamm

I send runners, which keeps all my contacts within about 26 miles.

10. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Why would you work on this, when we still haven't located Jarinor?

Also, before any of you go "omg, DF is back!"* I've been stuck for the past three hours travelling ~5ft from my bedroom computer to my toilet. Since I'm incapable of attempting to masturbate in between bouts of painting pressurized chocolate pudding across the inside of a porcelain structure which doesn't even have the decency to spray water up and help me clean myself, I finally got bored enough to pay this place a visit. I'll have to do so more often.

You'll hope this is unrelated: I now understand why wookies don't hold mud wrestling competitions.

* as if you care. I delude myself.

11. Dark Elf

Media:
    Welcome to the forum, DarkFool! If you haven't already, please check the rules. We hope that you will have an enjoyable stay here at Terra-Arcanum.

12. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Why does the new guy have a custom avatar? Are we just giving them away these days?

13. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

Well, Since the Great Newb Movement of 2009, it pretty much were Halloween candy.

Found mine in a Morning Cereal package

14. Grossenschwamm

Ah, Morning Cereal. I remember being confused by their slogan as a kid:

"Mor-ning Ce-re-al! It goes with your wood!"

Makes a lot more sense to me now.

15. Dark Elf

Media:
Our Host!