Who's modding?

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by team a, May 10, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

What is your involvement in modding Arcanum?

1. No interest in modding Arcanum

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I just fool around with WorldEd from time to time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I'm working my way through AMTUT and am learning to mod

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I am making my own mod for Arcanum, or adding an expansion to the Arcanum mod

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I used to mod but I'm no longer active

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. team a

team a New Member

I'm wondering who has a mod that is currently in progress. There seem to be quite a few older modders that have been working on projects for a long time, but the only ones I know of are A:WIP, Zaikon Switu, and my own mod of Jameson, which i have as yet been reluctant to provide details about, but hopefully that will soon change.

It seems that there are a lot of people who are just now starting with worlded, and I wanted to know how many people out there are considering starting the modding progress, so that I can support it, if possible. Or, if you're just fooling around with Worlded to get yourself some mad lootz when playing the Arcanum mod, that's cool too.

How many users used to mod but have 'retired' from this process? Chris Beddoes and DU are good examples of these figures, but is anyone else on this site responsible for the user-made mods available, or has diven up on bringing a module to completion?

With that, hopefully this won't be considered an inane poll post. Also, I posted here because the question is more about mods in progress and users' skills than any specific mods.

2. theorel

theorel New Member

I'm working on a mod, although I've just barely started...it's a different setting, with different storyline etc...Actually I'm first creating a small mod, that'll be the first couple areas in the final module, so that I can get the hang of scripting, building towns, etc...I originally wanted to do a major edit to the original Arcanum to make a sequel, but I got stuck on storyline, and wanted to start small...that small project just kept getting bigger :)

3. team a

team a New Member

that's a good idea. It's easier to make a small mod bigger than to make a big one smaller. anyway, you will have something you can share with others so people can await the completed mod.

4. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I've dinked around with WorldEd, but don't really've the patience to actually create something.
    Well, that and the fact that I'm currently writing out a "script" for a webcomic.

P.s: My elbow hurt everytime I poked it. Examining it closely, I just noticed it's bruised. I poked it again to be sure.

5. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

I've been working on a mod for years off and on. If I feel a burst of motivation, perhaps I'll get it releasable this summer.

6. Shota Shernokavich

Shota Shernokavich New Member

http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic ... sc&start=0

Scroll down a bit. I start to write under the username Shota Shernokavich on like the second page. Screen shots are posted on all the pages of the thread. I've come to a sort of standstill, what with exams, lack of time/motivation, etc.

In the summer break, I'm probably going to release it as a beta, and start a new project, and I might come back to that one later.

I'm kind of annoyed, because every time I start a new project, i get bored with it after like 2 months of work. I currently have 3 unfinished projects. Any suggestions for something that will keep me interested for atleast 2 years?

7. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

The big question on what to suggest would be: How much scripting are you willing to do?
    If your answer is whatever it takes, then take a look at the Thieves' World series by Robert Asprin.
    Creating a town like Sanctuary could easily fill two years worth of time.

One town, the old and new at odds with each other, greedy polititians, thieves, murders, whores, priests, and honest folk who can't get a break.
    There's a thousand possible adventures.

Granted, in it's original form it's purely magic-based fantasy, but I'm positive it could be adapted for steampunk without too much hassle.

Sanctuary is the inspiration for my Norleigh Seahold (a VERY scaled-down inspiration!) but it would be fantastic to see a place like that come to life in a video game.

If this is of any interest to you and you don't want to buy the books, let me know. I have txt versions of the first 12 stories.

8. Shota Shernokavich

Sure. :)

And yes, I plan on doing a lot of scripting.

9. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

10. Shota Shernokavich

11. wastelandhero

wastelandhero New Member

Just out of curousity Shota, are you Lich, the Black Steel Fallout mod guy?

That comment seems bang on to how Lich's Fallout modding is progressing.

12. DarkFool

Hey look! WLH gave my advice. But yes, provided you're of a legal-age, and all that rot, sex is a great way to keep yourself motivated.

13. team a

team a New Member

The best motivation for me to keep going is that I have a story to tell that otherwise won't be told. I started a second project that was supposed to be a lot simpler than my main project, with very little scripting. It was sort of a progression from one area to another, not quite a treasure hunt, but like it. Even though it was easier, I never finished it.

Although there aren't as many people who play Arcanum as other games, I think a mod would be better appreciated by the people who play. And, besides A:WIP, there don't seem to have been any English mods released on years. Those are some of the things that keep me going on the same project, but it's mostly the story.

14. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

A small correction: Doomsday was released just a few months ago.

15. team a

team a New Member

Oh yeah, you're right. I think I must have been confusing it with something else.

16. DarkFool

So it goes. Team A, I feel ya on that one. That's why I devoted so much time to my script (*realizes he's neglected it as/of late*)... because I've a story to tell, and hopefully, if I can get the story out of my head, everyone will appreciate it as much as I do, and perhaps understand my insanity a bit better.

you'd be crazy too if the same damn story was running around your brain perpetually

17. Shota Shernokavich

Nope. No idea who that guy is. Anyways, I've decided on what I'm going to do. Working on it right now, actually, since my Summer has already started. It includes a whole bunch of things, but the main thing I am trying to decide on now is whether to make a balancing patch, or a revision.

18. team a

team a New Member

So I am. but in a good way, I hope. And a piece of it is almost playable, too... hopefully I will have a release soon. But I always say that... anyway, I am trying to make it more polished for people's first impressions, but that means waiting, unfortunately.

19. Darkform

Darkform New Member

I'm trying to make 4 protos 1 of them a Schematic for Meca Suits. I will give to Rroyo when I fix them right so he could add them to AWIP (hopefully 5.0). I already made all the files that the protos are going to refer to.

20. team a

team a New Member

you mean, you made the wield on/wield off scripts, effect entries, and schematic text? How about the art?

Our Host!