what would be more interesting..

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Shota Shernokavich, Sep 21, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Shota Shernokavich

Shota Shernokavich New Member

as a magick college.

Invocation - as in the art of calling upon higher beings to help you during battle (in this case, the old gods of arcanum)

OR

Evocation - the art of calling upon super-natural spirits and demons for your own beneift.

and a little explanation why you made your choice would be nice, even if it is just one sentence.

2. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

Evocation reminds me of boosting ones powers rather then summoning stuff. As such, that might be a nice alternative to the meta college (which is more about affecting whether a spell works rather then how [strongly] it works).

For example having spells that:
    - boost MA (of the party?)
    - act like a fatigue limiter on the target
    - increase magick damage upon a target
    - as above, but on all targets of the caster
    - drains fatigue/hps from the target

3. Shota Shernokavich

those spells could fit into invocation as well..

yes i've thought about it, and evocation is too limiting, and resembles the summoning college too much.

i'm going with invocation.

4. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Cool. That was going to be my vote.

I was wishing a while ago that you could call upon the old god hierarchy for help. Never had time to learn the moding bit, so it just sat and stagnated in my head.

Would it be like a prayer for a temporary blessing? Maybe a prayer to Bolo for a temporary boost to lock pick, for example? Or maybe having Torg show up and smite someone and then leave?

5. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Shouldn't be a magic college, though. There are already ways to call upon the aid of the pagan gods, and magic has and should have nothing to do with it. It's a nice idea, inovocation, but using magic to call upon the powers of demons and such sounds much more likely lore-wise.

6. Shota Shernokavich

You make a good point.

Damn my easy-to-change opinion :(

both of those are possible (although it would be kinda imba to have torg come down and start hacking all your enemies to bits) but like wolfsbane said, does religion have any place in the magick colleges?

im all for the calling upon demons for help idea, but i have no ideas for spells.

maybe i could have a gimmicky college where all the spells are permanent self-buffs with bad side effects? for example for the 5th tier spell i could have a spell that turns your character into a demon permanently, the plus side is that you're extremely powerful, but you cannot talk to people, have followers, or take any more quests? or is that too extreme?

this is really annoying. the last college i have to do before i get to mapping, and i can't decide what to do.

7. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

I really, really like the idea of summoning spirits. Always have, always will. Ergo, my vote goes to Evocation.

8. Wolfsbane

Couldn't you do two sides of Evocation, like they did with Necromancy? Evocation Darke and Evocation White; one demonic/evil/whatever side and one celestial (with celestial being "good" spirits/Arcanums answer to angels) side.

An idea for a fith-level spell; you call upon a demon (in the case of Darke) and make pacts with it. Sacrifice followers, gold, health, Arcane items and similar stuff to gain rewards in shape of buffs, hexed items and other evil, more or less powerful stuff. Can you make multiple pacts? Depends on how powerful they are and what they cost.

This could go the other way around as well, but with the celestial creatures blessing you in stead.

Low-level spells could include summoning slave imps, gaining aspects of the celestial/demonic creatures (for a limited time, like other buff spells) and mid-level or 4th level spells could summon a champion of the chosen spirit type (good or bad).

This is just me babbling, though. It just struck me as cool. Question is, though, if it's possible.

9. papa_dog_1999

Media:
    I was a great babble.
    It combines the best of both worlds. Definitely sounds like a mod I’d be interested it.
    If the ol’ brain was working properly, I might be able to help and contribute some more ideas. Unfortunately, I’m a bit mentally addled for the time being. :roll:

10. Shota Shernokavich

ok guys

which of these do you like the least

- Morph
    - Meta
    - Nature

because 2 of them have to go :/

11. Wolfsbane

Nature. If I really have to choose between Morph and Meta, then I guess Morph has got to go. Meta is much more useful.

12. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

In the original game, all of them were nearly useless, or rather meaningful only for weak characters. However if your mod will feature many spellcasters, then meta is the one I'd suggest keeping. The ability to heavily affect the effectiveness of spells may be lifesaving in an encounter with a particularly pissed off force mage.

Still, for the most part, the game mechanics made me dislike all three colleges.

BTW, why not scrap divination instead ?

13. Wolfsbane

Because it has a really valuable spell.

I've never found the Meta college to be useless, though. It's great for slowing down mages and unsummoning annoying elementals (and such).

14. papa_dog_1999

Media:
    Personally, I’d drop either Meta or Morph. Never really used either one of the colleges.

15. Shota Shernokavich

i seriously considered divination, but drog in his UAP has restored this thing where all NPC's have a unique age, that can be seen thru the divination 3rd spell. im going to see how this works out, and if the college is still uninteresting then i will be replacing that as well.

16. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

Evocation gets my vote. Devil-mingling and demon summoning seems much more evil than praying to or invoking the aid of gods. And evil is sexy. Damn sexy.

Our Host!