What the hell, might as well have a drunk thread too

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Muro, Jan 16, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

2. Vendigrothian

Vendigrothian New Member

3. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Yes, exactly.

While Unreal Tournament 2004 is superior in all ways to Unreal Tournament 2003, I just love the menu music of UT 2003. Too bad it didn't make it to 2004 in any way. It's so deliciously epic.

4. Third ankle

Third ankle New Member

Sounds like "The Final Countdown"-ish sort of epicness ;>

5. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

I like the sexy announcer in UT 2004. Didn't play 2003, so it might be there too. I just think if it sounds like a woman is getting turned on by me fragging people in a first person shooter, as unlikely as that is, I'm game. Literally.

6. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

The UT2003 announcer was pretty funny.

Shhhpeeeed.

7. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

UT 2003 only had the announcer sounding like an overenthusiastic football commentator. From what I understood, players generally considered him one of the annoying elements ruining the dark atmosphere of the tournament, which is why it was decided to add a few more announcers to choose from in UT 2004, including the grim one from UT. Me, I liked the football guy and kept him in UT 2004. I prefer a epic sport match feel over a dark feel in that specific bloodbath.

The aroused woman was pretty intriguing, though, got to admit.

8. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Dammit, now I've got to play UT 2004.

9. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

Oh goodie, Muro's going to waste our time with a drunken thread. Congratulations Muro.
    Why did I click this? I never even played
    Unreal Tournament...
    This music is kind of good.
    WAIT A SECOND! DID THIS YOUTUBE LINK JUST REPEAT?!??!
    "&loop=1" ?!??!? Cool.
    Hmmm, must only work for embedded videos.
    Yep.
    Vevo doesn't let me embed videos?
    Fuck you, Vevo.

10. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Is it truly a drunk thread if I haven't said anything I would regret to the end of my days, though?

By the way, I like the inverse italics on the game title in your post, TDC. A creative touch.

Can't say if looping can be done in Vevo. Never heard of it before and the site just gives me "not available in your region" talk.

11. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I think the rule is if nothing went in anyone's bum it's not truly a drunk thread, just look at Grakelin's drunken post.

12. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

Thanks. That was my stream-of-consciousness style. To the uninitiated, it can be as confusing as actually being drunk.

It was also my 1234th post.

13. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Was Unreal Tournament the game that started the game with the word "slay" and you could play as an eyeball on two legs? If it was the game I'm thinking of then yeah it is pretty cool.

14. Third ankle

Third ankle New Member

Nah. You're referring to Quake 3. But you were very close. I remember enjoying Wild West/Smith & Wesson/bank robbery themed mod to Q3 (it later became a standalone game called Smoking Guns) with some of my friends, but all in all multiplayer shooters are not my cup of tea.

15. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Speaking of the quake engine, I'm whoring myself to Jedi Knight Academy atm. I'm actually keeping pace with cutting edge games, just nine or ten years behind. Go me!

16. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

I'm trudging through Quake 4 at the moment. Nice graphics, actual difficulty. But it's still bald space marines fighting aliens in tight corridors. Oh well, at least the obscene amounts of violence set this game apart somewhat.

Also, finished BloodRayne 2 recently (played the original back in the day, but never got around to playing the sequel). It was terrible, especially the harpoon "puzzles". Played the second half of the game with god mode, because of poor balancing and check points, just to see the shitty ending. 真是垃圾游戏

Oh, and I'm also slowly playing through FO:NV, 2-4 hours a week, it seems. I'm finding it immensely boring, even compared to the original Fallout 3. Boring landscape, long, dry dialogs. I don't give two shits what kind of grandiose plans the NCR guys or the Legion have, let's get back to the game already, stop spitting out the lore, I don't fuckin' care. It seems like everyone you talk to in this game wants to tell you their own version of the backstory, as if the PC was a foreigner. OK, I get it, the NCR are the good guys, the Legion are the bad guys, let's leave it at that. That's how the video game stories should be written. Concise and to the point.

17. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Yeah, who cares about a game's setting and backstory? Come to think of it, those levelling up systems where you customize your character are really stupid. Just let me use bigger guns as the game progresses. It amounts to the same thing. It's not like anyone ever chooses the lame "stealth" or "diplomat" options anyway.

18. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I usually play a merchant/diplomat the first time round, get to see the story etc. My second playthroughs tend to be of the hack and slash genre.

I remember playing a Dragon Ball Z mod to one of the quakes which was really fun. Whole year group played it during our free periods back in year twelve. Those were the days.

19. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

I'd rather have deep gameplay mechanics (as deep as yer momma's cunt), with various kinds of guns/stealth/whatever than listen to nerds trying to pollute my brain with politics of an imaginary world.

20. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

There was Bid for Power on Quake 3, but they got a cease and desist order from Funimation considering they actually wanted to build a game on the quake 3 engine and sell it at a time when Atari had just gotten the rights to make the games and nothing they were making was as awesome. Now, if you activated cheats and used devmaps to find a level, you could play a good amount of "deleted" levels or ones that were renamed to allow the mod to be finished in its crippled state.

Then there was Savior of Strength for Quake 2, which I never got to try...though I think the character models looked much better than the ones in BFP.

The only things I didn't like about Bid for Power were the six characters in the final mod, and from them essentially 6 movesets and really the power level cap of 1,000,000. Nobody got stronger than 2nd form Freeza, which made any downloadable transforming models stupid - according to canon, a super saiyan transformation multiplies a person's power by 50 times.

Now, if you want a more "realistic" DBZ mod with an optional Capture the Dragonball mode where you can actually get an in-game wish granted, Earth's Special Forces in the Half-Life engine is pretty awesome. I don't believe there's a power cap, and transformations will actually increase your power by a certain amount, though obviously if you need to be at least a power level of 1.5 million to reach super saiyan, becoming 50 times stronger will make you impossible for everyone else to kill if you've all started at the same time.

Our Host!