What kind of view and combat style do you want in Fallout 3?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DarkUnderlord, Jul 16, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

What view and combat style would you like in fo3?

1. First person real time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. First person turn based

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Third person over-the-shoulder real time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Third person over-the-shoulder turn based

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Isometric top-down real time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Isometric top-down turn based

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Since I've been inspired...

Just for fun, what do you guys think?

2. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

I chose "Isometric top-down turn based" but I could also accept "Third person over-the-shoulder turn based". I'm strongly opposed to FPP and/or RT.

3. mathboy

mathboy New Member

same here, but I can't remember any game that has a good Third person view, especially not turnbased.

4. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I picked "Isometric top-down turn based" mostly because I'm a mainstream whore, but also because that's what truly defines the word RPG for me when it comes to views.

I'd die to see a game in second person view.

5. Icairus

Icairus New Member

I went with over-the-shoulder turn based.
    Not because I would actually prefer it over isometric, but because it is a much more reasonable expectation.

If it isn't turn based and third person the makers should be shot. Preferably by someone with high skill in Big Guns.
    Oh, and it must use SPECIAL. And it can't be watered down. They can add new things, their own new perks, maybe even new skills, but it has to be SPECIAL.

6. Quethim

Quethim New Member

What do you mean if it isn't third person the makers should be shot? We don't WANT it to be in third person. How can you make a third person turned based game? It just doesn't seem like it would work.

I voted Isometrc top-down turned based. Cause like DE said, RPGs are best when in that view. You can see a lot more, do a lot more...and Fallout has a party system, you can control a party a lot easier in a top-down view....

With third-person, you'll just start getting all confused with the view, having to change it every now and then and it gets to become a pain in the ass.

7. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Isometric top-down with options for both turn based and real time. Just in case.

8. Icairus

Icairus New Member

Isometric is a form of third-person, Quethim.
    If you don't want it to be in third person, you want it in first or second person. First person is from the eyes of the character, and second would be from the eyes of another character, or something like that.

A well-done 3d over-the-shoulder view will allow you to zoom in and out, so you can see more of the area or more details. I cannot see how it is any more difficult to accomplish something between a well-developed over-the-shoulder and an Isometric.

9. DEATH AT THE DOOR

DEATH AT THE DOOR New Member

Worms 3d had a first person view. Was actually useful. Nevertheless, Worms had aiming controls unlike Fallout where the chance to hit is based on your stats and skills.

10. Quethim

Quethim New Member

Still Icairus, most of the hardcore Fallout fans (which you don't seem to be) want the game to feel like Fallout. Having it where you can mess around with the views and such will get very annoying...and the game just won't feel like Fallout.

11. Icairus

Icairus New Member

I am a huge Fallout fan. I think that a view that is made by 3d rendering instead of having the art made that a 2d isometric requies, will look much better, be cheaper to make and sell more copies. All of these are good things.

The feel of fallout, to me, was defined by how things you did had permanent affects, the special system, the dialogue, and how everything worked together to create a cohesive feeling and whole.
    The feel of fallout is not the archaic graphics and view, or even the turn-based combat (although the turn-based combat is neccessary, or the SPECIAL system really doesn't work).

12. 5th_horseman

5th_horseman New Member

I don't care so long as it's turn based, and VERY good! :D

13. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

just out of curiosity, can anyone actually imagine a first person turn-based game?

14. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

15. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
  16. Role-Player

Role-Player New Member

In many 2D isometric games, 3D rendering is actually made; the end result however, is that the 3D is flatened so it ends up being 2D. Fallout could just as easilly been 3D with the same fixed camera angle, and it wouldn't be any less 3D because of it.

As for the poll, i'd have to go with Isometric Top-down Turnbased. Preferably using a scheme which allows for rotation and zooming.

17. Settler

Settler Member

Blech.

18. Aries Shion

Aries Shion New Member

Seconded. Those first person, turnbased games gave me serious migraines. Once I started playing games where I wouldn't have to gaze into one point and keep staring, the migraines went away.

19. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

You guys don't know what the fuck you are talking about - Wizardry 8 is a great game. The first-person turn-based combat actually works, because you have to position your party, and make sure they're facing the right way, or you're going to get fucked up.

20. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

Did this make anybody else giggle, or just me?.

Our Host!