What is wrong with the world today?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DarkUnderlord, Jul 21, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

I just love how the health-conscious society of today has changed children's products.

Coco-Pops - A chocolate milk-shake only crunchy? Think again.

Nutella - A chocolate kids spread just for fun? Nope.

Here are two ads that are now appearing on a television near you!

Coco-Pops - Coco-Pops are a source of calcium. Eating Coco-Pops makes your children healthy and gives their bones the strength they need! If your children aren't eating Coco-Pops and instead are eating some kind of non-sugar loaded cereal which makes them hyper-active, they just won't be getting the calcium they need! THE TERROR!

Nutella - Nutella gives your children the added energy they need to get through the day. See these kids without Nutella? They're all tired and sleepy but these ones on Nutella! Woohoo! Are they active and full of energy and excitement for school or what?

What scares me is that there's a generation of parents - parents who presumably grew up with the "chocolate milk-shake only crunchy" while they were young - who'll be watching thesem ads and thinking "Now it's healthy! Oh boy! My kid's gonna love eating this stuff! 'll feed it to him all day! Exclamation mark!"

2. Neo

Neo New Member

yea, the original was "Ovaltine".
    they almost make you think your a horrible person if you dont buy this junk and practically force your kids to eat/drink it.

noone seems to realize that children have survived and grown up just fine throughout time without calcium-fortified, vitamin-enriched, preservative-soaked food force-fed to them by commercials.

for fuks sake people, ever heard of milk? meat? bread? NORMAL food eaten by people for sustainence for the past ...well FOREVER?

-Neo

3. Bunny

Bunny New Member

The "healthy food" ads are the most horrible thing on TV. I mean it. If you don't eat this, you won't be tall enough and nobody will pick you for their soccer team; if you don't drink that, no girl will make out with you at the disco this weekend. And nowadays everything has Vitamin X, Calcium for your bones, and only God knows what for your bowels. And they taste horrible. And they're more expensive than your regular fattening food.
    But anyway, who'd want overenergetic children?

4. Neo

Neo New Member

yea, i was going to comment on that too but forget.

SERIOUSLY! why would u wanna pump a bunch of energy into your children, they already have way to much, and if they dont, they need a doctor not some kind of pedia-crap health cereal bar.

-Neo

5. Baal

Baal New Member

The only question is… If the food is healthier now and support give you more energy, why are there more fat and lazy people now than ever before? Other than the economy and video games wich are a big part.

6. Neo

Neo New Member

well the main factors is junkfood, fastfood and TV, which can also be attributed to the insanity that gos on outside.

for one, kids scarf down bags and bags of doritos, cookies, icecream, mcdonalds, french fries, fried EVERYTHING, and tons of softdrinks.

Second they sit around all day watching tv, playing videogames or lurk on the net, rather than playing hide 'n' seek and cowboys and indians like they used to.

this is becase A: cable offers buttloads to watch all the time, video games are on whenever you want them to be, and the internet offers limitless content which is always changing.

and B: with all the crazy shit going on in this world now adays, most kids are AFRAID to go outside and play, if not, then thier parents are afraid to let them out.

even PhysEd in school is a joke, at least it was at my school when i went.
    most the kid's half-assed everything and the teachers could care less.

-Neo

7. Bunny

Bunny New Member

Great point, Baal. I'm proud of you. :thumbup:

Well, that'd explain the zombie-like attitude that most kids have when you're talking to them and they're "plugged". The truth is that they don't even pay attention to what they're watching, so it doesn't matter whether it is quality stuff or bullshit.

You've got a point there. But I don't know if that would apply for teenagers.

I took it as a rule that P.E. teachers were all overweight and none of them took their work seriously.

8. Neo

Neo New Member

mine was buff... like too buff... it was almost scarry, but he was real monotonus, he barley even moved or talked.
    In our yearbook it shows him in several pictures with the different school teams, but he never moved, even his whstle around his neck was in the same position.
    everyone joked they just used a cardbored cut-out of him, which wouldnt suprise me, he was so emotionless you would have never noticed.

-Neo

9. Nukenin

Nukenin New Member

I'm kinda glad my formative years occurred before the advent of the World Wide Web and the flocking of the masses to the Internet. I spent more time in libraries actually doing research than letting Google do it for me. I was moderately physically active, kept myself a little too slender, a good sprint runner but not really one for endurance races.

I was a geek, and did spend way too much time at the screen of a Commodore 64 (which I believe contributed to some vision problems, since I did a lot of coding with the screen set to the default light blue on dark blue colours), and a VIC-20 and PET before that. I was bobbing just under the surface of the computer underground, back when using a wardialer to hunt answering modems could produce some interesting systems to scope out. (Though most of my darker computing side was cracking software protection schemes for a den of software pirates down in Central America--guilt for which I tried to rectify by spending tens of thousands of dollars on software in the '90's.)

But I still went outside and played, biked, swam at the local pool, and did my part to enjoy PE (I liked racquetball best, and soccer/football was my favourite team sport). I only wish I was as active, however mildly active I was, nowadays.

There's always sex as a physical activity too. It seems a lot more prevalent than it was in my day. Somehow I don't see the Presidential Council on Physical Fitness or whatever running public service announcements telling kids to tear themselves away from the TV and go get laid.

EDIT--forgot to mention--I'm cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs! Don't be dissing the Cocoa Puffs! Eating breakfast every day helped keep me healthy as a kid, and cereal was a nutritious, tasty part of my well-balanced breakfast! :)

(Back then we just had four food groups, not the food pyramid or isododecahedron or whatever the hell shape they've got now.)

10. Bunny

Bunny New Member

Yeah, it keeps your muscles fit but it appears that it won't make you lose weight, not unless you and your partner lock yourselves in your bedroom and have sex all day long, without eating at all.
    (The downside of that is that you can't use whipped cream or ice-cream if you want to lose weight by having sex.)

Is it me or the pyramid changes according to the food you buy? e.g. you buy soup and soup is the best food you can get, you buy bread and bread is the best food you can get...

11. Nukenin

Nukenin New Member

You buy potted meat and potted meat is the best food you can get...

:)

12. Baal

Baal New Member

Do you mean along the line of a pot-roast, or more like planting a roast and hoping it will grow?

You just take a pot-roast burry it for a couple of weeks. Then you just dig it up, dust it off, cut it open, and enjoy the wiggly cream filling.

Mmmm… maggots and decomposing fat.

13. Bunny

Bunny New Member

Why, why did you have to say that???
    Now you reminded me of the Lion King!!!!
    >_<.

14. Baal

Baal New Member

Now you know the truth about what they did with the pig after he became king.

15. Bunny

Bunny New Member

The farting pig??? Oh well... He wasn't that funny, anyway.
    That reminds me of a friend telling me, "we only eat animals that aren't funny."

16. Baal

Baal New Member

Hence… the cow, the pig, and the chicken.

17. Neo

Neo New Member

reminds me of a stand-up routine from Denis Leary.

"Ever notice how were so selective about which animals we protect and want to "save"?

Man: What are you?

Animal: I'm an otter!

Man: What do you do?

Animal: (In a super cutsy voice) I swim around on my back and do cute little human things with my hands!

Man: Your free to go...

Man: What are you?

Animal: I'm a cow!

Man: GET ON THE TRUCK!

Animal: But im an animal!

Man: You a fuckin baseball glove, get on the truck!"

lol funny funny stuff ;)

-Neo

18. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

You lie. Speculation of a time before Google is pure non-sense. Google has always been.

19. Sea Dog

Sea Dog New Member

The thing that really makes this add...well stupid and not persuasive is it actually says "Coco Pops WITH MILK is a great source of calcium...".
    Screw all that crap about feeling bad for not buying/eating the stuff, laugh at the people who do. It's a stupid add that will only affect stupid people.

20. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:

Our Host!