What everyone should read, but not everyone should reply to

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jarinor, Jan 4, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

Personally, I'm just relieved that the bigotry and flaming have yet to spread to actually viable threads.

2. Feldon Kane

Feldon Kane New Member

Eros, my comments were directed at EVERYONE.

Except me.

It just ocurred to me that what often takes threads off-topic is that we (all of us) respond to each other directly, like an IRC.
    Perhaps, if we can't access an IRC, Personal Messages are the way to go. It would clean up the forum a bit, but I think it also might suck some of the life out of it.
    Comments?

3. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

I agree with you, Feldon, in a wooly kind of way (sorry!)

I've considered several times putting some of the stuff I say in a personal message (re. my questions to Milo about his Civ progress) but I am a natural sharer.

I also agree with you about flaming. Personal attacks are counter-productive, if one's goal is either achieving agreement with a person, adding to the fun/interest of the board, or just expressing a strongly felt opinion.

I cannot see a good end toward which flaming does work. I suppose venting negative emotions could be valid but I would say venting AT people is unnecessary and possibly a sign of a lack of self-discipline or immaturity.

Eros, I can see something of you point about the Vault of Folly, since it does kind of tar and feather people. I think it's supposed to be pretty light-hearted, though, and perhaps aimed at deterring foolishness. Can't we just laugh it off if we end up in there? Surely none of us considers ourselves above the odd foolish moment and being able to laugh at ourselves is good alternative to psychopathic revenge fantasies (of which I have a few!)

I do not believe ending up in the Vault should dent your feeling of being a well-liked poster on this board. You and I clearly have different opinions, but I don't think ANY board has so many good posters it can afford to lose someone such as yourself.

Why should we give up on TA? I've seen forums live and die also, but I don't see why it should be set in stone. If we get a critical mass of stabilising, fun, interesting users here, I see no reason we can't weather the odd turbulence from idiots breezing through. Hopping from doomed board to doomed board would then be a thing for other people.

Jinxed has a difficult job, and noone is perfect. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be responsible for this place during the period when that rasta impersonator and Bortis were both posting. I think he's doing the best he can, and if we want to improve the service we should try to give him some constructive opinions, or support his attempts when we agree with him.

4. slagger21

slagger21 New Member

I am actually not that new to the board , since i was a guest for about 1-2 months , observing the board and you guys . The posts made by Feldon , Fatman , Milo [and others ] were mostly informative about the game and almost always made most of us laugh , right ? Back then , even Ioo was funny for a while(waaay back then)!
    But the board has taken a BiG downhill slide from there , with lots of dumb assed questions [refer to vault of Folly ]and flame wars coming up .
    If we all could just be more considerate about others , i'm sure the board would be back up in no time ! =]

Don't forget . On this forum , there is always someone watching ....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: s|aGg3r! on 2002-01-05 02:07 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: s|aGg3r! on 2002-01-05 02:15 ]</font>

5. Zen

Zen New Member

hello Slagger or whatever it is!

...and that someone is alway Jinxed, right?

:wink:

- Zen

6. Saint_Proverbius

Saint_Proverbius New Member

The whole point of the avatars are to reward people who post thoughtful posts. In fact, spamming posts have always been discouraged. People who post one line posts, like "yup", "bump", or "I agree" and other silly things like that, are, for the most part, unrequired and waste server space. If you can't qualify a reply with a few words, then you shouldn't be replying. If people wanted to reply, then they would reply. There's no need for bumping threads.

7. Zen

Zen New Member

Ignite this!

No offence but that`s just stupid!

If someone posts something that I wholeheartedly agree with, I will post so!

And if it so happens that I haven`t got much else to add to the discussion I would rather have the post just saying "I agree!", than to hold that and some other totally unnessesary and pointles gibberish to please the suckers who find clear, totally normal and perfectly adequate replies like "I agree" a waste of thier obviously precious time!

One should rather turn the finger on those who fill page long post with mumbojumbo and pointless crap! There is nothing pointless or unnessesary to statements like "I agree!" when compared to what have a tendancy to surface here...

And as for the bumping: as long as the bump is relevant and one has something meaningful or at least entertaining to add to the thread I`d say that`s completely all right!

If bumping is so bad you`ll have to get a mod to erase all the older threads! If not I personally think you shouldn`t complain so much about what others do: Most bumps aren`t ment to be offensive you know!

- Zen

8. carlstar

carlstar New Member

well i agree with zen. not just saying trying to be funny here too. if i dont say i agree then you might think i dont.

9. Saint_Proverbius

If you can't come up with more than two words on the subject, I hardly think you "wholeheartly" agree. After all, "wholeheartedly" implies a great deal of enthusiasm. Two words is hardly enthusiastic.

In other words, a reply with "I agree" isn't productive. It hardly bolsters the dicussion and doesn't say anything new. Now, "I agree because..." posts do.

10. carlstar

carlstar New Member

in the past i have not agreed with zen on certain issues. this way zen now knows that i agree with him and overs know my stance on the issue. it adds weight to his argument. im not going to repeat the same thing that is prtty much already writen. that is pointless shit to read. im spearing you the time of reading the same thing in different words but want too say i agree.
    unless you come up with some sought of system where you can put a cross or a tick next to something then thats what you get.

11. slagger21

slagger21 New Member

Notice that most of the posts now are actually NOT about Arcanum , but mostly about flaming and insulting other users ( see 'Why does Jinxed suck' for an example )
    Btw , i am only 13 , and us young un's are also capable of writing [moderately]intelligent posts.

12. Zen

Zen New Member

Hm..

I do not see the need for the board to longer be wholly reserved for Arcanum discussions: But everyone who has a question regarding it usually seem to post them and thus be rewarded with an apropriate answer.

And I have to say Slagger(or whatever it is. I`m not into that |33t stuff!) for a 13 years old you seem (so far :smile: ) to display a great deal of insight and calm point to your posts, that some others (including myself) sometimes regretfully seem to lack!

:smile:

- Zen

13. slagger21

slagger21 New Member

Thanks a lot Zen , 1st compliment on the board ! You aren't too bad yourself =p!

14. Feldon Kane

Feldon Kane New Member

I agree with S_P. If nobody responds to my posts, it doesn't mean they disagree with me. It means they're not interested or I've said it all. I'd much rather see a response that adds to what I've said or, even, refutes it.
    However, on the rare occasion that I pull off a particularly nifty joke, a :lol: is appropriate. It's like applause.
    Unless I'm told differently, I figure EVERYONE agrees with me, as they usually do. :smile:

15. Saint_Proverbius

His name is "Slagger"? Crap, I've been reading it as "Slavegirl" this whole time. I guess I'm not as young and perceptive as I used to be. Either that or my mind is in the gutter.

Mmmmm.. Slavegirls.

16. carlstar

carlstar New Member

eh. ive decided all here are idiots. guess that includes me too.

fuck it. im gettng a kebab.

Our Host!