What does your alias mean?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DarkFool, Apr 28, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Well then, I'll kick this off. First, however, I've to assemble a list of all the aliases I can remember. Sounds like a time for a trip to the Vault of Folly. Because I'm in a bit of a story-telling mood, I'm also providing a brief statement about each account.

Matt_Thorn: Matt_Thorn, despite some rumors & lies I spread that I had a prior account, was my first one. The name was drawn from my girlfriend-at-the-time's alias, Lily Thorn. You won't find any posts on this forum by Matt_Thorn, because our breakup caused me to beg Jinxed into changing the name on my account to the next one in line.

Silvio Arjunza: The name I adopted post our break up. Silvio was adopted as a nickname/shorter version of Salvatore. Silvio comes from a character in one of Mario Puzo's books. Omerta, I believe. Salvatore is a reference to R.A. Salvatore. The last name, Arjunza, is the brand of incense I was burning at the time, Arjuna, with a 'z' added for flair.

SilverKing: Never actually used. Account exists. I don't think I know the password though. I actually can't remember the meaning behind the name, for that matter, either. I think it was a reference to something that a friend and I had cooked up, involving these huge, elaborate titles. No actual idea on this matter, however. Created as an "emergency account." Along with one or two theoretical others. :p

DarkChylde: My next attempt at returning to the forum. I believe I managed a few months before anyone caught on to who I was for sure, and banned me. This is inspite of the fact that we had the same ip's and the miss-spelling of "Chylde" matches my style from that era. The fact nobody ever caught that has never ceased to amaze me.

Spaminister: A whopping 23 posts, this account got banned quick. The basis for this name is simple.

TwilightsHammer: Giving up on the idea of secrecy after a few posts (which sufficiently stated who I was due to my typing style, etc), I managed 415 posts before recieving my fourth ban. This was a reference to Warcraft 2's Twilight Hammer Clan.

Dark Fool: My most recent account, and the one I still use. This account is a reference to the gothic/medieval name for bad luck. It seemed fitting, given the forum's opinion of me.

p.s: I admit to do thing this for my own curiousity as to how many names of mine I could delve up.

2. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

3. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I blame Drizzt fanboyism and, to some extent, Morrowind.

[​IMG]

That guy is badass, no argument on that point.

4. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

You should put him in the tougharse thread. :D

5. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

6. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

Somewhat 9 years ago I read "Johnny, Only you can save mankind" by Terry Pratchett. Johnny had a hacker friend whom called himself Wobbler.

I stole it and has used it ever since.

7. Dark Elf

Media:
    Make me one with everything, because I'm going to become a Muslim.

8. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

Jungle Japes was the name of a level in Donkey Kong 64. It suited me. I can't remember if I first used it here or as my XBOX Live! gamertag.

9. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

How come?

10. Dark Elf

Media:
    You call yourself Wobbler, yet you fail miserably at understanding what I'm getting at? Disappointing.

11. Minuos

Minuos New Member

Minuos is a character from a manuscript I'm producing. A character of my own design, whose name is derived from the latin word 'minuo' - to bleed / draw blood.

Oh, and Dark Elf... Drunk posting seems to be working quite well for me.

12. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Zanza was a rarely used nickname for a character in an anime called Rurouni Kenshin. My best friend and I used to love that series and it was obvious to us that Sanosuke Sagara and I were very similar in attitude. I used the name Zanza for almost every game and alias until I dabbled in the World of Warcraft where apparently Zanza is in fact a Troll God. So having to change my name for the first time I settled on Church as my other alias, and later on I adopted Groot as I knew a boy from school years ago who had the said name as a surname (he was Dutch in origin). As of late I have recently been using the name Simocrates, a variation of Socrates who I am going to assume you all know (not personally). Try and guess why I made the variation of the name, the answer is shockingly simple and obvious. Only reason I did not use it as my alias on this forum is that I was hoping I would run into an old friend from the original Trokia run forum for Arcanum.

13. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

Arthgon means "Commander of The Realm" I made up that name when I was looking in a Dictionary of the Elvish languages that lived in Middle-Earth.

14. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

What she said.

15. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Sure thing Xzbyte.

Back in ye olde days Vorak had little forum or internet knowledge and naively perhaps decided that The House of Lords sounded like a nice place and joined up. It was an Arcanum forum and to this day the most fun character I ever played in Arcanum was an Orc hating Half Orc mage called Richard Vorak so out of respect for Richard's sheer levels of awesome I used his name. After a while I dropped the Richard because I was to lazy to type such a long name. Shortly after this the comic Looking for Group was started in my honour.

I use the name Vorak pretty much everywhere, occassionaly I'll use the anagram Kavor if Vorak is taken of if you find a truly ancient account of mine ie. pre Sept 2003 I used the name Coltaine who is the most bad ass fictional general ever.

16. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Well, my current alias is my real name.

Xzbyte, well, I don't think that has a meaning.

17. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

Trilith Magi'Kot was an arrogant magician from the online game EverQuest, who believed he could command the elements. Young magicians follow his tale and attempt to succeed where he failed in order to obtain the legendary Orb of Mastery.

18. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Xiao Caity is the only name I've used here. Xiao is a chinese term for small, seeing as how I'm not even five fucking feet tall it seemed appropriate. Caity is an abbreviation of my full name, Caitlin, because I got suck to death of teachers calling me Catlin all the damn time.

Other nicks I've used:

FOnewearl Caity - My old nick on the Phantasy Star Discussion Board, before it died an ignoble death. I'd just discovered Phantasy Star Online, and was somewhat enamoured of the FOnewearl class - small, cute and deadly.

Otherworld Sin/Lady Sin - My nick on the PSDB immediately before it vanished and then on Battle Forum. I started as Otherworld Sin (I really liked the Jecht boss fight in FFX, it was freaking sweet), and then became Lady Sin when I got sick of everyone calling me a dude.

Tolly - One I use quite a lot these days. It's the name of one of Anne McCaffrey's fire lizards.

19. Minuos

Minuos New Member

I agree with you on that. However, the first time through it wasn't too enjoyable seeing how I'd filled and modified a good deal of the sphere grid. It was over before it really began. Second time I played it though, I was much more reserved and enjoyed a slower pace, being able (sometimes needing) to use a few tactics here and there. That's where I can relate enough to agree with you.

/end digression.

20. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    PapaDog1999/papa_dog_1999: Comes from the Missus. She sometimes refers to me as the family German Shepherd. Plus everyone says I’m a dog personality. I got in the habit of shepherding my Granddaughter around (blocking this path, ushering down that path, nipping heels, etc). I usually place myself between them and shady situations/characters. Thus Papa Dog. Had to add the year 1999 to make it unique on some forgotten site that I register for that year.

Morwith Grimm: Currently my CN ruler. Came up with this a while back as a name for an RP character.

Lanuvian: Was my EQ Monk way back before the various expansions. I think I used this name on another Arcanum board many years ago, but do not remember which one. I just remember one of the members loved Miada’s.

Our Host!