What do you look for in a car?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xento, Apr 30, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

What do you look for in a car?

1. Speed.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Power.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Body Design.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Good Sound System.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Extra Features (TVs, GPS, etc.).

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Mileage.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other (specify)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. xento

xento New Member

What do you think is most important?

2. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Gas mileage, a cd player, room for lots of shit (my bike, an amp or three), room for lots of friends, and air condition and heating, and power windows.

I think the car I dream of owning is a volvo station wagon, one of the ones with the third row in the back that folds up and faces backwards.

3. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

warranty. i'm a broke motherfucker, and i hate paying for repairs. not to mention Fish drives cars into the ground...

4. Quethim

Quethim New Member

I love music...good sound system is what I want.

I can't drive though...so I don't know much about cars. But yeah...I want it to look pretty nice too....sound system is most important though!

5. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Nope, brakes are...

I'm a very pragmatic fuck when it comes to cars. In my book, a car is something you have in order to move your ass around with, no more, no less. So if it's cheap to have, ain't too rusty and doesn't need too many repairs, then I'm all game.

I guess you could say that all of that applies to the car I currently have. A Mercedes Benz 230 made back in 1979. Got to love that one. :)

6. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

You're what, 15? If you're seriously looking at buying a car, buy a cheap piece of shit. The kind you pick up for $200 - $1000. You *will* have an accident and paying to fix a decent car is a lot of money. Insurance is what'll really tear your balls out though if you buy a more expensive car. Just get any third party compulsory insurance and buy a new piece of shit if you're ever in an accident.

Of course, there are safety drawbacks. If you are in an accident in a $400 piece of shit you're more likely to die than if you're driving a $17,000 car with airbags, ABS etc...

Ultimately you look at saving up for a decent car and then buying that later, when you've got a better insurance record.

7. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

especially if you're in the US. until you're 21, most companies will charge you out the ass... the biggest breaks go to females over 21, married with children. any one of those requirements you don't meet, you take a hit for. and your premium will always be higher than mine, even if you have a perfect record.

also, a new car will always require full coverage insurance, whereas a piece of shit only needs the state minimum--basically, you pay the government to drive your car, cuz you're not paying your insurance enough for them to reimburse you for crap.

8. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

That's just the spice of life, and scars=good/funny stories, and those = poon. Unless the scars are like, the the stub where your ick used to be, thats definitly not a cool scar, but if you get a nice dramatic one across your chest... girls can't resist a pirate!

9. xento

xento New Member

I'm prefer to be scar-free, thank you.

I don't intend to drive like a comlete idiot and get myself in an accident, or get a ticket. I already passed Drivers Ed with an A (the written part, that is), and I don't intend to screw up my premium discount by doing something stupid.

By the way, I didn't make this thread to decide what kind of car to buy, but rather to know what everyone else thinks.

10. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

The more terrified of her surroundings a female is, the more she feels the need to procreate as fast as possible because her instincts tell her she might not be around much longer. So unless you're a total faggot, you'll suck it up and drive like a man, there is a stinky flower in the garden at the end of a high speed chase.

11. Wolf

Wolf New Member

What the fuck is the point in having sex if you're not gonna be around long enough to keep your child alive?

I mean from a reproductive point of view.

12. xento

xento New Member

What does this have to do with sex?

What do you mean, Sleek? I'm just saying I'm going to drive safe, because I don't want to pay high premiums or get myself killed.

13. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I drive a van that was new in 1986. It's fine for my purposes - it's got a shitload of room, decent fuel efficiency, and it seems to keep itself in pretty good nick. The radio is busted, but I don't care - it gets me where I want to go, and I like driving it. The clutch is still the original one, and it's got a very forgiving engine (I can start driving in second gear if I really want to).

Edit - that said, I'm a speed freak, and while I never break the limit, I love getting there as fast as I can. I also love chucking a car into a rear wheel skid, but that's not something you can take advantage of nearly as much, and pretty much any car can do it anyway.

14. Aries Shion

Aries Shion New Member

I always take into account of the amount of dead hookers I can fit in the trunk.

15. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

What makes you think you're going to have an accident only because of something you do? The next bit is, what makes you think the insurance company aren't going to find you at least partly responsible, no matter what?

Hell, I was in an accident last year. I was turning right at a busy intersection. There was a car in front of me turning right too. He turned. Now I couldn't see the traffic light because it was quarter to six and the sun was right in the wrong spot. So I turned thinking it was safe seeing as the other guy went before me about 1 - 2 seconds ago...

... only I turned right at the time when traffic started coming across the intersection the other way. So there I am turning around a corner right across this row of cars that are coming towards me out of the corner of my eye. In the end a guy who was turning from the other road onto the road I was on collected me in the side.

In the end though, I was only held 50% responsible when really, we both should've been absolved of blame and the sun should've gone to jail. This isn't the only time the sun's gotten away with causing an accident you know.

16. Chunky944

Chunky944 New Member

I like Porsche's, they go broom! and they look nice and the seats are comfy :D i've never been the same since playing nfs:porsche...

17. Twilight'sHammer

Twilight'sHammer New Member

Not quite true, dear DU, I spend $300, and bought myself a 2.5 ton Diesel Military Cargo Truck. :D It's got a Continental 165hp in it, but I'm going to get a Biodiesel for it. :)

18. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

enough about the stupid diesel!!! post about something else!

19. xento

xento New Member

DU, I will be completely safe from premium rises as long as I drive safely. If I don't do anything wrong, then even if I get into an accident due to someone else, I won't be trouble unless someone can prove neglegibility (spelling?).

As for your story, you were being neglegable (spelling?), even though it doesn't seem like it would be your fault. You should have made sure that it WAS safe.

20. Icairus

Icairus New Member

The engine. It must rotate correctly most of the time.
    Oh, and wheels, they must have plenty of rubber, all be on the ground fairly evenly, and cause the car to move.
    Brakes are important, too. As much as I believe stopping is overrated, there are others who do not, and I would like to be able to slow down so that I don't crash into them.

Our Host!