We've Moved to a new host!

Discussion in 'News Comments' started by DarkUnderlord, Apr 19, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

It's likely you noticed the inability to access the site over the past couple of days, this is because Terra-Arcanum was moving to a new host. Normally I would've made a news post telling you we were moving, instead of putting something only in the Site Feedback forum. Why didn't I? <a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11791">Because JJTek Hosting, really, really suck</a> and I couldn't rely on them to NOT delete the site before I was able to move it.
    <br>
    <br>Put simply, we here at Terra-Arcanum offer <a href="http://terra-arcanum.com/phpBB/dload.php">a handful of downloads</a> for Troika's Games. Patches, fan made hacks, modules and so on. Technically, some of that stuff is copyright. If Atari was really insistent that no-one should distribute their patches for ToEE other than them - which is highly unlikely to happen - they could demand we take them down. They're unlikely to do that though because the more places that distribute patches for their games, the better. It's also incredibly bad PR and would affect thousands (if not millions) of web-sites that distribute patches for a range of computer games.
    <br>
    <br>Why is this a problem? Well, some of you know that I'm also an administrator at <a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover</a> (DAC). If you've followed the link in the first paragraph of this news post already, you'll see that JJTek also hosted DAC... That is until they deleted the entire web-site because DAC, shock horror, had patches for computer games available for download.
    <br>
    <br>You see, JJTek felt we were violating copyright so badly that they just golly-gosh had to go and delete *EVERYTHING* (even the non-copyrighted stuff or stuff we owned copyright to) before anyone could ever see it again. So Duck and Cover had all their files deleted and the entire site wiped off of JJTek's servers a mere 12 hours after we were notified about the problem. I got the e-mail in the afternoon, told the other admins and asked what were we going to do about it, then woke up the next morning to find the site had been replaced with an "account disabled" message and that everything had been deleted. After they deleted everything, they then informed us that "Oh by the way, offering downloads on our site was a breach of their conditions".
    <br>
    <br>As I've said, Terra-Arcanum offer downloads as well and some of those are copyright. So before JJTek got a chance to realise that and delete everything, we moved. Find out more why <a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11791">JJTek Hosting suck</a>.
    <br>
    <br>Anyway, we've moved now and everything seems to be going tickety-boo. The ads for JJTek will be replaced over the next couple of days. In the mean-time, enjoy the irony of the situation that we're still advertising them.
    <br>
    <br>EDIT: As has been pointed out to me I completely forgot to thank our wonderful new hosts, <a href="http://www.sorcerers.net">Sorcerer's Place</a> run by <b>Taluntain</b> who has been a great help in getting us setup over here. So thank you to Taluntain for offering us his great hosting services.

2. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Be fair DU, they clearly state that in their TOS....

3. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    JJtek needs a great big sledgehammers hurled at their foreheads. Process repeated if necessary.

4. DarkUnderlord

Also in their TOS is that, should either party inadvertently breach the conditions, they will be given "fair and adequate warning" before say, the entire site is deleted. Their TOS says This package is not available for downloadservers, gameservers or streaming video. As far as I'm concerned, that's a download server.

If you read, you'll see it wasn't clear whether they were complaining about the downloads or the copyright. By the time that was clarified a day later and we'd decided to move because of it, everything had already been deleted. As I said on DAC, I am willing to accept that by offering the downloads, we were in breach of their TOS. What I don't accept is that JJTek claimed we were infringing copyright "across the site" and then deleted the entire site, after we agreed to remove the offending files.

5. wedgeZ06

wedgeZ06 New Member

Smart move on quietly slipping out. Way to make that DEX check.

6. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Yeah, the part about streaming video is really a bummer as i was planning on setting up a site with them...

7. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Those scum-licking monkey-rapists can lick my fuzzy white anus and choke on a rancid dingleberry.

This constitutes a complaint with the BBB and a stream and a half of angry protest mail.

8. DarkUnderlord

Apparently they're only a reseller for heart internet. We're putting together an article on DAC just to explain it all in detail "for the record" but the info we have is JJTek are simply on-selling stuff from "Heart Internet".

9. Calis

Calis Member

What, they don't even have their own hosting server then? Just some reseller dealie?

10. Fuck You

Fuck You New Member

Whatever you do.....don't mention your new host....you slimy fucks...

Scorcerers Place was gracious enough to save your sorry Troika lovin asses the least you could do is mention them....pukes.

11. DarkUnderlord

Adz explains it better here:
    So they've at least bought a dedicated server.

We hadn't until you came along. You just ruined all of that. If you hadn't have said anything, the only clues would be the Sorcerer's Place button up the top of the front page.

Oh, you're being sarcastic? Sorry. My bad.

Our Host!