Wanting to make a pistol-wielding, molotov throwing mage?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by jwh, Jul 23, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. jwh

jwh New Member

I envision a gnome mage-assassin.

I would like to have him be a master of firearms, and use molotov cocktails (more if possible) but otherwise focus in spells.

Will magic, as it gets higher in aptitude, prevent my gun from working? (I have played Arcanum before and plan to use a fate point to get the hand cannon from the npc in Tarant)

Could I mix the character up and go as high as explosive grenades/guns/master of firearms but then use the protection/teleportation/summoning/black necro/fire schools overall?

Was wondering how well these mix and I don't want to invest dozens of hours only to find my self gimped mid-game.

Thank you.

2. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

The higher you Magic Aptitude, the higher your chance of having a critical failure when using a tech item. And the chance gets higher the more tech the item is. You can imagine how this works for a mage trying to use a gun. It's doesn't stop it from working, but makes using one a masochistic torment. It will work normal if your aptitude will stay on the tech side, though.

Teleportation works as normal at any MA, yet the level of protection, direct damage, healing and summoned creatures depend on your Magic Aptitude and propably will not be too hight for your character.

3. jwh

jwh New Member

Thanks for the quick reply.

Dang :( I have an RP concept in my imagination of a smooth killer - throwing a boomerang or circle-razor (forget name) doesn't really fit....

Erg.

A minor question: I noticed at one point in the game a loonnngg time ago a throwing knife - does it literally get thrown once and disappear or does it simulate multiple knives? I could go with a knife throwing mage....

Hmmmm.... back to the character concept drawing board. I don't really desire to spam harm the whole game.

4. Charonte

Charonte Member

The 'circle-razor' is a Chakrum I think.

Throwing knives are one-use only, although they will stay in the same tile as the target you threw it at, however they can be -very- hard to find sometimes...

There's a guy in Grant's Tavern in Tarrant (at the counter I think) that holds ~20 odd knives, which is decent money whatever you do. They will take up a fuckload of room in your inventory though, stacking would have been better...

5. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Plus they are somewhat bugged, never actually hitting the target as a result. If you provoke the said guy into attacking you, you will observe how he throws his ~20 knives right at you standing in his face, and missing all of the throws. Even if it would work properly, boomerang-type weapons would still be better and less irritating.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, there's a pretty nasty engine bug that prevents throwing knives from functioning properly (when thrown they're supposed to do damage based on their damage values, not weight, like normal items). There's a workaround to this though, don't equip the knives, just throw them like you would throw any other item, and they will work correctly in that case. But then again, you can throw any dagger like that and it will retain its damage values.

7. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Make a half-ogre mage with massive strength who throws the boulders that the farmer wants you to remove from his field, the Golden Statue in Kree, the altar stone for the little chapel destroyed by the Pirate Captain, or the statue of Geisshanna.

*I apologize for any/all miswritten names: I'ven't played Arcanum in ages.

8. No! Naughty dog!

No! Naughty dog! New Member

I'm so going to try that in a bit. I can't believe that didn't occur to me :eek:

9. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

10. No! Naughty dog!

Here

It didn't go more than one tile so rather than throwing it it was dropping it on them

I was going to use the elven funerary stone as well but I was fast clicking through the dialog and messed it up with a misclick. I was also going to try the statue of Geshtianna but Arcanum crashed on the way to Stillwater

11. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

Are all those damages dealth in a single hit? Because that character might really have potential if that's so.

12. No! Naughty dog!

That is a full st/dx throwing master half ogre mage called Rok Chukka (Chukka was arleady taken damn you :lol: ) and yes one hit. Even for a strength of 24 carying 2 stones and nothing else lowered you to a walk

13. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

Actually, you can name your character Chukka directly. As for "real" Chukka, "accidents" like a huge anvil (or a rock) falling on him might happen after Bates lends him to you, leaving you as the real Chukka.

The "only walking" thing ruins everything for the character though.

14. No! Naughty dog!

That is if you're carrying two stones, one stone is manageable, but your strength has to be high

15. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Then why do you even bother to carry two boulders? Stick with the heavier one, drag it and pick it up once it hits, repeat till enemies are all over the place. Simple is best.

16. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

Can you pick an item if an enemy is standing on it?

17. No! Naughty dog!

I just tried dragging it whilst the enemy was standing on it and the same result as trying to pick it up, nothing. However unseen force seems to work a treat for solving that problem

18. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Alt+left click drags an item if you're standing next to it, counts also for draging it right from under the enemy's feet.

19. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

Gee, thanks. You just made the most fun sounding character type in Arcanum viable.

(Unable to check because I don't have an Arcanum installation at the moment)

20. No! Naughty dog!

That is what I just tried Muro and it didn't work with someone on top of it. Either it doesn't work or my game hates me

Our Host!