Want successful children? Beat them

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vorak, Jan 6, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

2. Archmage Orintil

Archmage Orintil New Member

It's worked for the past 5,000 years. I don't understand why there even needed to be a scientific study. It makes perfect sense that if, as a child, one doesn't learn about consequences, there's little hope of them being capable of dealing with it as an adult. One merely needs to casually observe children nowdays to notice the numbers of problem kids increasing from a small minority of 25 years ago, to being the predominate child archetype.

3. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

Honestly, I wish my parents did use slapping to discipline us. My brothers have been in jail, my sister is practically a whore, and I have 0 mental discipline or ability to resist most of my compulsions.

Now a days it's all medication and time out instead of a good smack across the kid's ass.

4. Vorak

Now we just need a study that shows raising children as vegetarians is wrong and we'll be set.

5. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Unfortunately its the bogans and such that continue to have vast hordes of children while the educated few have one possibly two children. The mean intelligence of the world has been dropping over the last century or so.

6. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

I'll fund that down to my last penny. And I'll start by ordering a round of prime rib for everyone at HoL.

7. Jazintha Piper

Jazintha Piper Member

According to one documentary I saw, the worst thing you can say to a child is "you're so clever".

And don't forget about the different levels of smackdown. The threat of a higher level was enough to keep us kiddies in line.

8. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

I'm totally for a smack over the head over pills and psychiatrists.

As with most other controversial themes, it's the sick and stupid people who beat their kids senseless, or otherwise overdo punishment, that give physical discipline a bad name.

We'd never survive as a species if beating children was as harmful, physically and psychologically, as people commonly claim nowadays - if that was anywhere near true then most people before XX century would have to suffer from serious mental conditions due to how they were raised. Somehow, I don't believe that to be true.

9. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Being someone who often hears stories of students with discipline issues, I personally would love for some of these kids to get a crack across the knuckles. I don't think you should beat child massively, but I think a wrap across the knuckles with a yard stick or a ruler imparts a valuable lesson with just a dash of pain. :)

10. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Maybe a good ramming will sort them out.

11. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Zanza: Actually, there are more people with university degrees now, so if anything, we have too many intelligent people.

You guys are all missing something: There are ways to punish your kid for doing bad shit that doesn't involve punching them in the head. I spent all my teenager years taking care of other people's children, meaning that taking the easy way out and giving them a bloody nose wasn't really an option.

Instead, I'd just take stuff from them. One time I took my 2 year old cousin's soother from him until he apologized for throwing it at his sister. The kid never apologized, and he cried for three hours straight, but by god he never fucked with me again.

Kids are like people. If you beat them up a lot, you'll probably have control and dominance over them, but they will resent you and will have difficulty forming that intelligence we all desire here. I'd rather make sure the consequences are real and palpable to them. Instead of slapping the kid upside the head, threaten to take away his favorite toy, and then actually do it if he continues being a little jerk. A good slap will instill fear, yes, and it will help you out in the short term, but if they fear they will lose the things they enjoy, they will stay in line without having to be afraid their own parents will hurt them physically.

Of course, some value systems think that children should be terrified of their parents and follow them blindly, no matter what. I'd still prefer communism to fascism, though.

12. Vorak

I think the quote in wobbler's signature explains my opinion on children.

Striking a child is of course not the only option open to a parent, but it should be there as a choice for when the situation warrants an extreme response.

13. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Educated ≠ intelligent. This world has always suffered from the shortage of intelligent people. We just have more idiots with degrees now than ever.

14. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

The surest way to make a man an idiot is to give give him a degree.

15. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

I do not overly disagree, though the cases where I would strike a kid would be if they did something morally reprehensible. Maybe if they tortured an animal. When I was eleven, I always forgot to let the dog back in the house, so my dad soaked a teddy bear with water, wrapped it in a blanket, and told me she had frozen to death.

That did it for me.

16. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

My mom made me go all evening and through supper without drink, because I forgot to water the chickens.

That was the driest sandwich I'd ever had....

17. Archmage Orintil

In my personal experience, kids do morally reprehensible things if you *don't* strike them to show that their actions have consequences. Taking stuff away from them doesn't work. At least it didn't for me. I took it right back when mum was at work. And threatening me only made it a personal challenge, a challenge I always won. The only time I didn't repeat an offense was when that offense promised phyiscal pain.
    And "Kids are like people"...that's a god damned joke. Kids become people by how they're raised. If your kid is raised with the understanding that no matter what they do, they get away with it, then they'll carry that mentality on into adulthood. Kids are not responsible individual parts of society. They are kids.

18. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

If your kid can still get it, you're not doing it right. Mom should have put it in the back of her car/in her bag and brought it to work with her. In the real world, the consequences we get for fucking up include:

- Having your house and belongings taken away
    - Having your lover leave you
    - Not being able to do things you enjoy

Most people in industrialized nations do not actively worry that they are going to be beaten up if their alcohol problem causes them to miss the phone bill. Even if your parents kept smacking you until you became an accountant, you wouldn't work hard because you thought your boss was going to come in and take a cane to you if you didn't do your job. You would work hard so that your boss would keep paying you.

When you threaten a kid, you have to follow through. They can smell weakness. They are like wolves.

19. Archmage Orintil

Doesn't work. You need only observe children now days to see that. They can sue your ass if you take away their telly. It's considered "neglect". That's a systematic failure tho'.
    You take one thing away, I'll find another. You take it away, I'll steal another. You take it away and give it back to the original owner? I'll steal it right back when you're not around. You can't watch me all the time, and neither can you make sure I stay in my room. You can keep grounding me and taking my toys away, but as long as you're not around, I can and will do as I please. And I will always find something else to amuse me. The only thing to stop me is the fear of what you might do if you find out. Fear is the reason why society is as law abiding as it is. It's not that the majority care, it's that the majority fears the consequences of not obeying. For a child, they have no fear of losing their home, or not being able to eat. Such things never even cross their mind. The fear of their toys being lost is more real to them, and for some that's enough. For those that don't care about losing toys, the threat of taking them away is about as much punishment as getting a speeding ticket registered under a fake name. It's squat, and shows that they can get away with their behavior. There are time when pain is required. And I don't mean head bashing. That's simply absurd. But a painful butt spanking goes further than washing their mouth out with sope when the child doesn't mind the taste.

20. JustaFishInaJar

JustaFishInaJar New Member

It's true. To teach my daughter not to play around the stove I took her hand and made her touch a hot pan. Then again to my son when he got old enough. None of them have ever played around the stove when cooking is going on. Success.

Although I fear they might one day kill me in my sleep due to psychological trauma.

Our Host!