Vista, W7, 64bit, and the somehow confusing nature of it.

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by DarkFool, Feb 15, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

http://www.terra-arcanum.com/phpBB/view ... hp?t=13953

2. xplzns

xplzns New Member

Outstanding, thank you, I'll try that as soon as I get home.

3. Anton

Anton New Member

Weird, I'm running Arcanum under W7 64bits and no install/launching problem here.

4. HepcatMerkin

HepcatMerkin New Member

Data Execution Prevention

Hey, y'all, I've recently tried installing and running Arcanum on my laptop (64 bit Vista, but it probably shouldn't be), and when I try to run the game, it force-stops it, gives me a message that says "Arcanum.exe has stopped working" and then tells me that Data Execution Prevention has prevented the program from running.

Any idea what's up with that?

I've installed the patch, which made my monitor's resolution change and blah blah everything that made it look like the game was going to run--but then it did not, same message: "Arcanum.exe has stopped working." However, no Data Execution Prevention this time. I'm not sure why DEP would be catching Arcanum at all, but now it's just not doing anything.

It's late and I've got work tomorrow, but I'll try some of the suggestions here and see what's what, and maybe that will fix things.

Thanks much.

EDIT: Now it's runningin the background (Task Manager says so at least), and I can't tab over to it or pretty much do anything. Any help would be great.

5. Charonte

Charonte Member

DEP is activated by UAC if I remember correctly.

So, to fix just disable UAC (Universal Account Control) in the Control panel. It's under users or something.

You know that annoying box you get asking for permission to do something? That's one part of UAC. It's useless in my opinion anyway.

I'd hit "End Task" (or go into processes and end there) on the background thing. Check the compatibility setting also.

Edit: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/12077 ... sable.html

6. HepcatMerkin

HepcatMerkin New Member

Thanks for the tips, Charonte

I've disabled UAC and unblocked Arcanum.exe from the DEP list of things to block, but it doesn't seem to be working, still. Just eating up my CPU% and not actually running anything; I'm going to try to reinstall now that UAC is off and see if that helps.

Fun fact: it's CPU usage is going from about 70-90%, but the actual memory it uses seems to be going down--it started at about 2000K, but now it's down to 868K.

Another option: I ripped the images from my original CD's and installed from those; would that have anything to do with this? If so, I may just have to wait til I'm back in Texas where the original CDs actually are. Lame.

7. Charonte

Charonte Member

Shouldn't do unless you weren't using a NoCD crack, which now that I think of it is a pretty common cause of symptoms like yours.

Arcanum being Archaic as it is, I wouldn't have thought it would matter but you never know.

8. HepcatMerkin

HepcatMerkin New Member

Gotcha; I'll correct for that and get back to y'all. Thanks again for the help!

9. Burress

Burress New Member

I am using Vista 64 bit and the video sequences and gameworld are not displaying. So after character creation I can hear the intro video playing but can only see a black screen. After I click through it, then I see the interface frame with a black center where the gameworld should be, though virgil and my character's text displays on it. All of the previous advice in this thread has not been successful. Any ideas on how to get the game displaying properly?

10. thewhiteboy

thewhiteboy New Member

I just installed this on a win 7 64x machine with an nvidia 9600gt card. Loading the game >character creation > videos work fine but when I first get into the game the text is overlapping. My choose text is about 80% on top of the guys text when first starting. I have installed the official patch and dark tooth's patch as well. Any help is appreciated. Here is a screenshot:

[​IMG]

11. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Move your mouse cursor to the end of the screen.

12. thewhiteboy

thewhiteboy New Member

yep that worked.. was it like that 10yrs ago or did it all just format correctly? Its been a while since i've played this. I'm really happy people are still playing and modding it.

13. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Could you explain what this does for me? I haven't seen this issue before, and your solution seems nonsensical.

14. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

It does wonders, just trust us on this.

15. thewhiteboy

thewhiteboy New Member

I went and added the -no3d and -doublebuffer to the game shortcut and it runs perfect now, no moving the screen around at all, text is where it probably should be. Thanks everyone! :D

16. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Aah yes, I never play without those parameters, because the game won't run in Linux without them. :)

17. Laxe

Laxe New Member

anyone knows any comand to fix mouse pointer in game?

it moves slowly like on ice, if i turn it to max posible speeed its still sliding like on ice only in acanum

18. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

Add -no3d to your Arcanum link. Like so:
    C:\Games\Arcanum\Arcanum.exe -no3d

19. Laxe

Laxe New Member

i have, Arcanum.exe -no3d -doublebuffer and it worked great like 5 months ago

edit: hmm could be logitech mouse driver foult since i swiched to G7 some time ago, but isnt there some other command that allows software pointer acceleration?

20. tekhedd

tekhedd New Member

I am running W7-64 (ultimate upgrade from Vista) with the good-old-games version and the unofficial patch, using -no3d and -doublebuffer. This is a laptop with a 9800m. This works for me with or without the highres patch. (1366x768) Note: installed to d:\games\arcanum, not in program files!

-no3d fixes the cursor
    -doublebuffer does indeed fix performance

Thanks to the suggestions here. Just want to report success in case somebody is interested.

Our Host!