Vista and Arcanum

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Packersfan30_3, Jul 17, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Packersfan30_3

Packersfan30_3 New Member

I recently installed a dual-boot Vista 32/XP 32 on my computer, and I've noticed some strange things. For one, it runs better in compatibility mode with XP (things like minimizing are completely broken in Vista) but specifically with saved games.

Now I had only had the problem a couple of times before, where you would get that "Load failed, saved game corrupted!" and than you would be transported to the initial "shop". I noticed that once I got to the Stingy Pete/Vooriden part of the game, things got really bad (This is all in Vista-->compatibility XP mind you.) I decided to tackle Kree for the first time while I was there, and it turned out to be an easy way to make 8K. I noticed that doing things like going straight from Vooriden to Kree, than saving, would corrupt the save. Most saves in Vooriden are fine, but pretty much any saves in Kree or Immediately after Kree are corrupted. I can sort of tell when the save is corrupted as I can't move anything from my quick-bar back into my inventory, and quests won't register properly, for example returning the stone from the Torin quarry to Vooriden does not yield a solved Pete quest, ergo the save is corrupted.

I've also noticed something that bothers me even more. While in XP I could have countless numbers of enemies on the screen with no slow down, I've noticed anything over 9/10 nets me lag. This is completely new to me, and I doubt an issue of hardware as I have four-gigs of ram, and it definitely isn't Vistas shitty services slowing me down.

Anyone else experience any problems with Vista and Arcanum? This is really starting to bother me. What if the problem gets to the point where I need to finish the last 4/5 hours of the game in one sitting due to completely corrupted saves? I really hope I'm not the only one here.

2. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

I never had XP (made the jump to Vista from Win98) but after actually getting the game to run I have yet to notice any issues with the game, I actually got more corrupted save games with 98 than I have with Vista (a total of 1 corrupted save so far).

3. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I think you may be, actually. I've never encountered issues, or had lag. I' e only two gigs of ram. Oh hell, just read my sig.

4. Packersfan30_3

Packersfan30_3 New Member

Well thanks. I guess I'll have to just deal with it. It is getting annoying with the constant saved game corruption however :/

Perhaps the UAP is doing something? I don't know why it would, but I'll try the next play through completely vanilla.

5. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

I run the game with UAP turned on and Arcanum set to administrator mode.

6. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I have UAP turned off, and run it in Admin mode. I think the game corrupt sounds more like an issue with your setup. I'mn't sure if I even run it in compatibility mode. Try giggling the settings a little, playing for awhile, seeing if that fixes it. Just keep doing that, and I think you should find a decent compromise that makes it work. :)

Our Host!