Virgil's first appearance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Etain Starling, Aug 4, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Chalupa Cobra

Chalupa Cobra New Member

What's "MERKIN!"?? Is that anything like The Penis Game (tm)??

2. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

3. Chalupa Cobra

Chalupa Cobra New Member

4. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

More specifically, a wig...a beard wig for clams, if you want to put it like that.

5. Chalupa Cobra

Chalupa Cobra New Member

Let me get this straight. When a clam goes and gets itself a false beard the beard is called a merkin??

6. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Someone shoot him before he evolves common sense please. :roll:

7. Chalupa Cobra

Chalupa Cobra New Member

The Master said: "To leave untaught and then kill is cruelty: to ask full tale without warning is tyranny: to give careless orders, and be strict when the day comes is robbery: to be stingy in rewarding men is littleness."

8. Lord Deker

Lord Deker New Member

If the master see this use of English translation of his "Art of War", he would learn English in the underworld to tell the mistake. The translation is correct on word-to-word bases, but it just can't give its orgional meaning. Robbery....... I know it is hard to translate.

Anyway, what are you trying to tell, Cobra. If you want to ask for the right to ask, "Never feel shameful to ask a person of lower rank." ~ Hung Tse. It gives much fun on using this sentence, kind of insult to others by some means. I don't know if there are any English Name for this ancient educator, tell me if you know.

9. Chalupa Cobra

Chalupa Cobra New Member

Firstly, The Master did not write The Art of War, Sun Tzu did. Secondly, The Master should be capitalized as it is a replacement for his name used in this context. Thirdly, the saying taken holistically conveys its meaning quite well without having to dissect each individual word.

I don't know to whom you are refering when you say "Hung Tse" but that is likely the Western name for him as well. Few ancient Chinese names were Westernized and one reason for this is that it is hard to separate whether one man or several authored any given text. The authors of these ancient texts took their names from the books themselves, or vice versa -- it is not certain. I have come across the saying that you mention although I cannot now remember where.

10. Lord Deker

Lord Deker New Member

Oh is that so? Thank you for reminding me. So many people refer Sun Tzu 's saying and write the name as the Master. As I read the Chinese version only I don't know the English name until now.

And I don't mean your use of the words is wrong becuase of translation error wording. I mean : the sentance is not speaking the situation here.

And again......thanks for the correct English name. :p

11. Chalupa Cobra

Chalupa Cobra New Member

I think that I used The Master's saying correctly in this instance. I was trying to figure out what a "merkin" was and then Ferret stepped in and suggested that someone should shoot me before I evolved some "common sense". My use of the The Master's phrase implied that Ferret was being cruel, tyrranous, and stingy.

12. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Our Host!