Vampire goodies at Yahoo

Discussion in 'News Comments' started by Dragoon, Jul 29, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

Check out <a href="http://gamesdomain.yahoo.com/feature/30610">this</a> nifty page at Yahoo. You'll find over 30 minutes of footage and commentary on Vampire: Bloodlines split into 5 parts:
    <br>
    <br><blockquote>Part I: Introduction (13:17)
    <br>
    <br>This segment features the detailed character creation process, experience point gain/character advancement mechanics, quests/quest log system, and explores the in-game dialogue system.
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>Part II: Fat Larry (6:27)
    <br>
    <br>Part II features an encounter with the weapons dealer "Fat Larry," shows off the barter system, the flexible dialogue system based on a character's clan/behavior, and of course some vampire feeding.
    <br>
    <br>Part III: Sewers (3:09)
    <br>
    <br>Part III takes us into the sewers for a demonstration of the combat system and a sample of the enemies we'll face.
    <br>
    <br>Part IV: Subway (2:46)
    <br>
    <br>Part IV reveals a little vampire vs. vampire action, shows us how to use the environments to defeat our enemies, and why guns-a-blazing isn't always the best approach.
    <br>
    <br>Part V: Conclusion (7:00)
    <br>
    <br>In the conclusion, we explore multiple solutions to problems, engage in combat with a supernatural opponent, and see how the Source physics engine is used to great effect.</blockquote>
    <br>
    <br>I'm already downloading, enjoy. :)
    <br>
    <br>Source: <a href="http://vnboards.ign.com/Bloodlines_Inn/b22439/72323631/?10">Bloodlines Inn</a> & <a href="http://gamesdomain.yahoo.com/">Yahoo Games Domain</a>

2. xento

xento New Member

HOLY FUCKING SHIT! I'm fucking IMPRESSED! That's the damn BEST graphics/physics engine I've EVER seen! I was amazed out how realistic the NPCs were as they talked! I've seen V-sync, yes, but not THAT well-done. Furthermore, I was impressed, especially in Fat Larry, how the creases on the sides of his mouth seemed to become deeper as his mouth expanded, which is amazingly realistic. Furthermore, I've never seen eyebrow movement, like what was shone with Venus before. All that extra movement along with the hand gestures... just awesome. And the models don't look too bad for being low-poly, either. The textures are good too.

I was shocked at the physics engine, though. I've never seen world destruction of that magnitude in any other game (i.e. the breaking through the wall/door/pillars). The way you can use universal objects (like the train) to actually do something is an amazing step forward in 3D game interactivity.

Also, the engine's effects are awesome! The motion blur is very smooth and nice, and the particle effects are just astounding. Oh, and I've never seen water that actually reflects it's enviroment in any other game (if I have, I never noticed it, or it wasn't profound enough to really count).

To get away from the eyecandy, I thought that the dialoug, character creation, and fighting systems were very clever and straight-forward. It's nice that so many skills and possibilities are covered with the levelling system. The way the blood-drinking is set up is also very clever and well-done. It's a good idea that you don't HAVE to kill your victims. I wonder if you could drain out the rat...

They seems to have good voice actors too. At least Fat Larry seemed to have a very realistic and believeable voice.

My only complaints are the sound effects; how often, when you hit stone with a sludgehammer, does it just go 'doink'? Another thing I noticed is that, although the gargoyle knocks over pretty much all he touches, the far points of his arms/shoulders sometimes go through objects he just barely walks by, instead of seeming solid.

All in all, I'm damn impressed. It's even got some langauge/images bad-ass enough to need censoring. Kick-ass!

I'm sure this will be an instant classic!

I love you, Troika!

3. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Good God! It's a post by xento that's more than one line!

That has to be the longest post you've ever made!

4. xento

xento New Member

Actually, since the last time I've come back, alot of my posts are more than one line long. Besides, twently-line posts aren't always necessary.

I have alot to say about things that interest me.

Our Host!