Update #41 - From the Feed of the Director Part IV

Discussion in 'News Comments' started by Dark Elf, Oct 18, 2017.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Greetings! Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Producer, Katrina Garsten, is here to not only help us dive into what Game Director, Josh Sawyer, has been putting up on his social media, but also has an update on some merchandise offered to Backers. We'll get to the merchandise after the video, so for now, let's have Katrina take it away!

Thanks for the video, Katrina! But that isn't all from our awesome Producer. She's back to let us know about some of the rewards you can get when you pledge for Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire.

In our first bit of exciting news, Obsidian is proud to announce that mobile fiction platform Bound and NY Times bestselling fantasy author Richard Knaak have partnered with us to publish and write the Pillars of Eternity novella! Author Richard Knaak has written for such series as Warcraft, Diablo, Dragonlance, Age of Conan, and Iron Kingdoms universes, as well as his own popular Dragonrealm. Backers will be receiving a pdf of the novella on the Backer Portal when available, while the mobile version will be released in chapters on Bound afterwards.

In other news, production for physical rewards is underway. We're having samples created and will move on to mass production later this year. Obsidian is happy to announce that Novobox is assisting us with the majority of our physical item creation and packaging. You can already see a sample of their work, the adorable space pig plushie, in our crowdfunding video! We're also excited to show you the final poses and 3D images of our Od Nua statue and 28mm miniatures. The images we're sharing are the concept art that will be used to make the items, and not indicative of the final product.

Our Od Nua sculpture, created by talented Character Artist, Dimitri Berman!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28mm miniature pewter figurines, also sculpted by Dimitri Berman and posed by Animator, Seth McCaughey.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As we continue to finalize artwork and get samples created, we will share photos with you every step of the way.

--Katrina Garsten, Producer, Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

Thanks, Katrina! If you were waiting to see what the physical items were before pledging for them, remember that you have until October 31st to upgrade or get those pledges in!

We also want to remind you all that the DLC survey we currently have out will be closing this Friday, October 20th. The survey doesn't take long to complete and will help inform us greatly on how we can approach DLC for our games. We appreciate the time given to the survey greatly!

Lastly, the deluxe edition of Pillars of Eternity: Lords of the Eastern Reach, the card game based on in the Pillars universe, is on sale exclusively at the Zero Radius Games website. The regular edition is sold out and only a few copies of the deluxe edition are available, now at 35% off! Get one while they last!
    [​IMG]

Stay tuned for an update with information on our upcoming backer beta. Until next time!

If you missed the last update on multiclassing and subclassing, check it out here.

2. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to having a ship!

3. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Apparently they're releasing a free Deadfire DLC for PoE 1 to hype the release of II, it's supposedly items and portraits but depending on how sweet the items are there could be some potential for new character builds. Releases this month at some point.

4. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I just couldn't really get into PoE after making several characters. I am hoping the nautical theme of PoE 2 will be the driving force for my interest.

5. Dark Elf

Media:
    I still haven't finished it either. I cite a lack of time as a contributing factor.

6. Jojobobo

I thought the story was a little disengaging to be honest, and the writing was a little on the heavy side. I also found the buginess as well to be a big problem as there were a fair few bugs that were both immersion breaking (a little ironic given how seriously the game takes itself) and limited the action roleplaying side of things (Talents and Abilities having a lot of issues, making them not work at all or not applied correctly so they were too weak or too strong), as well as the ongoing heavy changes to the mechanics in the first several patches felt that they were actively discouraging people who were trying to get into the game.

To me it highlighted that Oblivion has been stretched quite thin with the layoffs that lead into Pillars, and I think they struggled to properly support the game because of this. Hopefully they have some more realist ideas about the development and support process going into PoE 2.

Really what Obsidian should be doing is shutting Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky in a room together and letting the magic unfold (not in a gay way).

7. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I think another issue was they didn't know when to stop with the promises during kickstarter. Here we had a relatively small group of developers who had millions of dollarydoos thrown at them and they just kept saying ok we'll add all this too.

Jojobobo likes this.
  8. Dark Elf

Media:
    Where does that leave Bertram?

9. Jojobobo

This is the part where... I have no idea what you're talking about.

I thought initially you were talking about Brian Mitsoda doing voices, but that's for Gimble, so I'm very confused.

10. Dark Elf

Media:
    Bertram is a gay pirate in Temple of Elemental Evil. Since ToEE was made by Troika, Bertram is very likely a product of the very magic you alluded to before.

11. Jojobobo

Ahhhhh, there we go. I never actually played ToEE, so I had no idea. But yes, "magic" that spawns gay pirates sounds like something the world needs a little more of.

12. Dark Elf

Media:
    The fact that I still remember a minor character 14 years down the road says something.

Now, if only ToEE was on Steam, and wasn't riddled with bugs to the point of unplayability...

13. Jojobobo

For anyone interested, the Deadfire DLC pack for PoE 1 has just landed - with 8 new items no less.

Dark Elf likes this.
Our Host!