Ugh...the trouble with ticklers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grossenschwamm, Nov 20, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Alright, I'm going to go right out there and say I used an online thesaurus to find a synonym for "knife" that started with the letter "T."
    Sometimes I like to alliterate, and not all words cooperate.
    Ok, so I have this compulsive urge to sharpen any knife I see. I will take money for my services, but I actually enjoy it so much that I'd gladly do it for free. Anyway, I know my aunt has a reasonable amount of knives, the majority of which are chromium steel serrated steak knives. Six of her knives, however, are your standard flat edge variety, and one beauty is a rare molybdenum alloy. That was a joy to sharpen; soft enough to accept the modest efforts of a practised sharpener, and hard enough to hold a razor's edge. Two of those knives, however, are Schinken Messer stamp-ware (a term normally used to describe actual stamp paraphernalia, but that I've bastardized to mean any bladed piece of metal that, instead of being forged, was stamped out of a sheet of stainless steel and haphazardly tempered) pieces of utter shit. They're too damn hard. I spent a good 15 minutes on each one, trying to find the perfect edge, and as soon as I succeeded I washed the knives. Big mistake. The first Schinken cut straight through the coarse side of the sponge like nothing, but at a great cost to the edge. The steel is too brittle. It's one of those double edged sword scenarios, you know, where you can succeed and still get fucked. As soon as I inspected the edge, I discovered that if you cut anything with as much surface area as a sponge, the blade fails and needs to be resharpened. Screw that. I'm sticking to blades that appreciate my TLC.

2. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

3. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

The shut the fuck up troll.

4. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

To be honest, I was thinking tl;dr, too. Nice to see you, though, Grossenschwamm.

5. Silvara

Silvara New Member

6. JustaFishInaJar

JustaFishInaJar New Member

I have a pretty decent collection of knives and wish I knew someone who would sharpen them for fun. I used to know a Mormon Marine who was knife crazy and would sharpen my blades for me, but sadly he's gone.

7. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I am in the same boat. I've a decent collection, but the noise drives me nuts, so I never sharpen them.

8. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

Is that the same Mormon Marine who loved anime? Cuz he was cool.

9. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Honing is relaxing, I love the sound of steel on a waterstone

I just got a 50,000 grit Japanese natural stone it makes everything crazy sharp.

10. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Isn't that finer than paper?

11. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I loved the comment on the picture of it he sent me.
    "If it's good enough for Katana's, it's good enough for my razors."

Our Host!