uap then hi res removing no-cd check?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by firebringer, May 5, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. firebringer

firebringer New Member

Hi all, first things first.

I own a licensed set of disks of Arcanum.

However, I'm tired of having to switch the play disk between my laptop and the desktop. I've installed the uap 081229 which removes the cd check but when I then run the hi-res patch it apparently overwrites the uap version of arcanum.exe and the no-cd check comes back.

Likewise, if I reverse the order and do the hi-res patch first and then the uap it drops the resolution back down to 800x600.

Soooo...how do I get the goodness of the uap as well the eye candy of the hi-res patch at teh same time?

Thanks!

2. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

[​IMG]

Welcome to the forum, firebringer!

Ok - this should solve your problem.
    Install the UAP, move the no-cd Arcanum.exe out of the main folder to someplace safe, install the high-rez patch, then replace the Arcanum.exe with the one you stored elsewhere.
    Finally, locate the Arcanum\modules\Arcanum\maps folder. Inside it will be 85 - 100 oddly-named files with no extention. Delete all of those.

Start the game and enjoy the adventures.

3. firebringer

firebringer New Member

Thanx for the reply but....no luck.

As soon as I copy back the version of Arcanum.exe that was patched with the uap over the version that was hi-res patched it loses the hi res changes and goes back to 800x600.

Am I doing something wrong? If the uap creates a new arcanum.exe and the hi-res patch writes a new arcanum.exe how can I possibly get both to work together? Am I using the wrong hi-res patch (1.1a)?

The more I think about it, how does anyone get them to work together? They both generate a brand new arcanum.exe when you run them..ergo you're either getting uap content but at low res or high res but with no uap content.

I'm kind of lost.....

4. firebringer

firebringer New Member

Ok I did get both the UAP and the hi-res patch to coexist successfully. I had to go to GoG.com and buy the DRM-less version....not a bad investment for just 6$ ! Then I just did the full install, the official patch install, the UAP, then hi-res patch install, and everything is running like gangbusters.

Thanks!

Our Host!