U.S. acting as "preacher" of human rights

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Drog Alt, Apr 12, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

U.S. urged to stop acting as "preacher" of human rights

http://english.people.com.cn/90001/9077 ... 46696.html

2. Arthur_Vaapeli

Arthur_Vaapeli New Member

3. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

Yes, China cares about human rights. Just ask Liu Xaiobo who won the Nobel Peace Prize for two decades of non-violent struggle over human rights, infuriating China, which called the award "an obscenity." Or his wife Liu Xai who has been under house arrest and not allowed contact with the outside world for the last 6 months (to my knowledge she hasn't been released), without charges brought against her. Or ask the dead at Tiananmen Square.

It's hilarious that America still preaches human rights though after the gross violations of human rights at Guantanamo Bay and Abu Ghraib.

4. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

I sometimes think the humans rights angle is just a media friendly excuse for their imperialism.

I mean, the US tends to favour any fucker who can get them oil, and damn the human rights record.

They won't stop preaching human rights as long as it is the most useful oil on their propaganda machine.

I mean, hasn't history already agreed that George W cheated in the 1st election and will be remembered as a war-criminal?

I envy the US their constitution, it's just a shame that the powers-that-be shit on it in practice.

5. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

The moment the blasted US politicians started referring to the Constitution as a living document was when they started seeking out ways to kill it.

6. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that all politicians, regardless of nationality, were liars and thieves. Or can someone here hold up as a shining example a nation whose leaders seek nothing but justice and equity for all?

The measure of a good politician is how good he is at hiding his crookedness.

7. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

8. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Yeah, like that fucking Martin Luther King guy.

Or Gandhi.

9. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I certainly wouldn't call those guys career politicians. Wasn't Gandhi practically an ascetic hindu monk? That's a pretty far cry from the suits discussed in this thread.

Politicians invariably thirst for power and should be kept in a tight leash. Good servant, poor master and all that.

10. Viktor_Berg

Viktor_Berg New Member

US did the wrong thing by poking at China, an industrial superpower. And finally got called out.

11. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Now proven by *science*.

12. random1

random1 New Member

This one was a great read.
    And interesting conclusion is that lie detectors don't work with the worst of the bunch.

13. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Apparently, conservatives are wussies. Wussy conservatives, stop preachin'.

EDIT: Gotta disagree with the implication in this paragraph.

The article states itself that there is no point in passing on the dice, so is it more a false sense of insecurity the powerless feel?

14. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Insecure, perhaps, in another's ability to roll. That's Cracked for you; smarter and funnier than Mad. So there's a psychological reason people in charge act the way they do, and a psychological reason liberals and conservatives tend to be on opposite sides. Still doesn't change the fact that unless someone does something about it, we'll be stuck doing what our leaders want of us, rather than what we choose to do. I'm tired of the president reaching out to help other countries...our dollar is only worth 4 cents! But, I suppose he's done enough to help America out, right?

15. wayne-scales

wayne-scales Well-Known Member

I would imagine that, from the point of view of the first article, a person of such inclinations would be the very person (s)he's rising up against; and if not, the very act of doing it would alter the person to conform to that particular paradigm.

16. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

According to a Taoist point of view, those above should serve those below, since Water, being one of the most powerful things on the earth, always takes the lowest place. I will never be "given" power, nor will I ever "take" such power. I will be like water, which serves the ten thousand things and does not contend.

17. Kaitol

Kaitol New Member

The solution is simple. Create an artificial intelligence sophisticated enough to govern, and give all decision making control to it.

18. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

And robots to enforce its will. It's got my vote.

Foolish flesh-forms have fucked the planet enough.

19. TimothyXL

TimothyXL New Member

*insert meatbag joke here*

I wonder why politicians never seem to get along. Here in Belgium we've had long periods without a government because of the way Belgian politics work: the people who speak Dutch don't want to speak French, and the people who speak French don't want to speak Dutch.

20. random1

random1 New Member

I for one would welcome our new robot overlords.

Justice is one of the "leagues" that could be easily replaced by a computer system.
    That would indeed make it fair by just sticking to the facts.

Medicine is another area that while not passable of being replaced, can be much aided by computers.

And as for politics, replacing them completely by a computer system would not be possible due the nature of unexpected events. But several tasks could be automated and controlled by them.
    On another note, democracy was created in Greece where only a certain group of individuals was allowed to vote. These guys were on the same level of education, so even though there were favor exchanges there was no sheeple brainwashing.
    Giving power to the people, in a way that major decisions would be taken by voting, would require for them to be informed.
    Also, one important change people could do would be to start looking at the numbers instead of listening to speeches.

Our Host!