(Type Thing) Awards 2001

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sheriff Fatman, Feb 22, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Welcome to the inaugural year of the (Type Thing) Game of the Year Awards for games published between 1st January and 31st December 2001.

Currently we're at the Nomination stage, before moving on to the Voting, to be swiftly followed by the Awards Ceremony, which this year has a combination Sheep and Bikini theme.

Please submit your nominations here, in the following categories:
    • Strategy (type thing)
    • Role-playing (type thing)
    • Sports (type thing)
    • Action (type thing)
    • Simulation (type thing)
    • Expansion Pack (type thing)

To make a nomination, use the format given below, giving all the information indicated.

Full, correct name of the game, as published
    Category for which you are nominating it
    Justification for nomination, giving reasons why the game fits the given category.

2. Sheriff Fatman

My nominees ...

Civ 3
    Best Expansion Pack (type thing)
    This was a great 4th expansion to the Civilisation game. It picked up where the last two expansions, Call to Power and Test of Time left off, by increasing the options for diplomacy and making war more interesting. I can only say that I hope the next expansion will be a multiplayer version.

Oni
    Best Sports (type thing)
    If whacking balls with a stick is your thing, this game is for you. Also includes many other variations of the "whacking things with other things" theme.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sheriff Fatman on 2002-02-22 03:30 ]</font>

3. Ioo

Ioo New Member

Diablo 2, of course!!! - RPGTT

Quake 3 - RPGTT

StarCraft - RPGTT

Infantry - SPORT TT

Pinball - STRATEGY TT

Arcanum - NEW GENRE TT

4. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Arcanum - Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
    Role-playing (type thing)
    I feel that users of this board will offer no complaints to the nomination of Arcanum as best RPG (type thing). With its unlimited playability and the ability to be both good and evil, gamers find this to be one of the few, true RPG's on the market.

5. Sheriff Fatman

*sees his humourous thread whirling away down the toilet*

I just got a double flush!

Ioo comes in, takes a shit (by ignoring the thread rules) and flushes my thread along with his excrement.

DU flushes again, unless the reference to Arcanum as an RPG was supposed to be humourous?

*sheds a tear for the massacred thread*

Ioo, I take back what I said about your shit rhyming skills. Compared to your normal poo contributions, your rhymes now seem high quality.

6. kcwong

kcwong New Member

• Strategy (type thing)
      Black&White Creatures Isle - Gamespot classify this game's genre as "Strategy".
      Black&White Creatures Isle - you get to play the role of a God. What else could you ask for?
    • Sports (type thing)
      Black&White Creatures Isle - for the strength and endurance of your creature, you take it for a round-isle-marathon each day.
    • Action (type thing)
      Black&White Creatures Isle - The spell casting requires good command of your mouse, and it's great fun watching creatures fight.
      Black&White Creatures Isle - it's AI is impressive. Ever have your creature do something bad out of your sight, or have it run away quickly to avoid your punishment?
      Black&White Creatures Isle - You went out and buy an expansion pack, and got practically a brand new game.

7. Ioo

Ioo New Member

Bahaha Fattie! Anyways TT is a trademark of loo, as is the Wolpal Wabbit. No usage of it is allowed without proper authorization.

8. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Expansion Pack TT: Command and Conquer: Red Alert: Yuri's Revenge. It's two teams, facing off against each other! The super stars are people like Yuri, who I know abosolutely nothing about! The team who wins, gets to rule the world as the championship trophy!

Sports TT: Black and White. Do you want to slaughter your villagers? Nothing like tossing them against a mountain for fun! Go online, and see who's villagers can be thrown the furthest, and hardest, for the longest!

Simulation TT: Oni. Simulate being an anime super crime fighting chick! Feel the girl power!

Action TT: Obviously, I have to go with Sid Meier's Sim Golf. The excitement is just unbelievable. Many are the times you will be sitting at the monitor, screaming "Curve baby, curve!" or "Drop baby, drop!" or "Come ooooooooooooon baby, come ooooooooooooon!" Fantastic family action.

Role Playing TT: Nothing beats Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds. With a huge selection of races, and the option to use evil or honourable tactics, your options are severely limited. It's absolutely fantastic!

Strategy TT: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (not Sorceror's as it's called overseas for some reason...) Do you take on the that troll in the bathroom now, or do you wait until you've researched that 'Super-spell' in your 'Hogwart's School of Witchcraft and Wizardry'? How do you learn to fly? Listen to your Flying Advisor, or just plunge ahead do it on-the-fly (pun intended)?

9. Sheriff Fatman

Woohoo - Jar and Wong graciously stuck their hands in the toilet and pulled the thread back from the pile of stinking faeces Ioo left it in!

Thanks guys :grin:

More nominations like these, would be most welcome. When we have enough of them, we can take the vote.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sheriff Fatman on 2002-02-22 07:54 ]</font>

10. kcwong

kcwong New Member

You're welcome, Sheriff!
    Let's shake hands... :p

btw, if by that you mean "1st January 1970 and 31st December 2001", I want to nominate Prince of Persia 1 and Monkey Island Series too. :p

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kcwong on 2002-02-22 10:18 ]</font>

11. Ioo

Ioo New Member

Hmm... I'm gonna do some more of that...

I nominate civ 3 for the best sequel TT!

12. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

Best RPG - Type Thing
    Fallout: Tactics So many various things to do besides fighting (collect tons of equipment for example), so many useful skills (for example speech, which allows you to talk your way through w/o fighting). Also the huge number of dialog options is more than impressive.

13. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Dude, Fallout: Tactics is obviously a simulation game - you simulate being in control of several characters who know which direction a gun should be pointed i.e. The enemy. Of course, being a simulation, they point it at their friends.

14. Ioo

Ioo New Member

• I nominate myself for Spam TT because I spam... sorta...

Was that better, fat?

15. kcwong

kcwong New Member

Can we make this thread sticky so more can participate?...

Appologies to anyone who knows nothing about Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor :p

• Strategy (type thing)
      Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor (PoR:RoMD) -
      The biggest decision to make: To buy or not to buy this game? Obviously I failed to make the correct decision this time.
      PoR:RoMD -
      It's based on D&D! It's 3e D&D!... though you don't have female in some races, you don't have gnomes, and you can't choose which feats to get, and you have no wizards, no dual-wield rangers, no druids and bards, and cleircs cast spells the same way as sorcerors, and the experience point is 1/10 of normal, and you found out monsters always win initiative rolls, and you have tons of magic items, and you will wander in a huge dwarven dungeon for years, and....
    • Sports (type thing)
      See how your characters are carrying 3 suits of platemail, 2 suits of scalemail and 5 suits of leather? And they're charging the orcs!
    • Action (type thing)
      *mouse click* *click click* *click click click* <then wait 10 minutes for all the super-quick-but-slow-animation-zombies to move across the screen and try to eat you>
      {Special thanks to TeamChlorine for making the speed mod}
      It simulates what happens when someone makes a stupid decision. In this case, it is Elminster sending some weaklings to do great hero's job.
      From it's "shattered state" (installer bug, de-installer bug wiping Windows off harddrives, BSoD, CtD, hangs), it's obviously not a complete game. So it must be an expansion.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kcwong on 2002-02-24 09:38 ]</font>

16. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Wow, kcwong, you've made some pretty unlucky decisions this year haven't you?

17. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Ohh.... I see.. Didn't get the joke first time around. Tell me if this is right:

Role-playing Game TT
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    Play the role of "Some American Hero in a British War [TM]". As the manual says, this is MORE than just an FPS. The player has a choice to either sneak behind an enemy and shoot them, or shoot them from a distance! Other options include whether to kill everyone in the room or to just run through the room and have everyone shoot you dead!

Ummm... Okay, this is a bad example...

18. kcwong

kcwong New Member

Yup. I was hoping for a good 3E D&D experience, but instead I got heaps of bugs and a 3D-Diablo. I knew PoR2 isn't a great game (from reviews) before purchasing, but I didn't expect such low quality.

PoR2 did lead me to sites so I'm more familiar with 3E rules now, and it looks quite good. I still hope to enjoy this game... I'll just need to wait for the 1.4 patch and mod communities to make more mods...

Okay, I'll just play Civ3, OMF:2097 and Arcanum for now :grin:

19. Feldon Kane

Feldon Kane New Member

This is a bit OT, but I can't let this D&D thing stand.
    The only real D&D and AD&D is the original stuff, the stuff from the late seventies, early-eighties. The stuff I played, dammit.

Sheriff, I would respond to this post, but I don't think I have any games that were released within your specified time-frame. :sad:

20. Sheriff Fatman

NP, Feldon. Thanks for the thought. I dunno if you've looked, but Jar has managed to get a pretty good thread up and running in the role-playig forum. If you've got time, a few Feldonistic posts to it would be cool.

Our Host!