Two good ideas

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by JC_ofthe_P5, Mar 28, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. JC_ofthe_P5

JC_ofthe_P5 New Member

I think it would be fun if you could paly online like in Diablo 2 like open battle.net. I alos think it would be better if you didn't lose your character after you beat the game. It would be funner if you could keep palying, exploring and finishing side quests or play online. Let me know what you think of these ideas.

2. Delkatani

Delkatani New Member

I think it IS a good idea... but the games would have to be bigger capacity for players and fewer of them.... say like 500 people max
    and you could group up with people. Oh and they could implement charisma in this way: the person who starts the group can have a maximum amount of online and npc characters alike, depending on charisma.... exceeeelllllent :D

3. Arconis Trava

Arconis Trava New Member

ITs a great idea. I cant think of all the times where ive beat the game (with a gnome-bow-haggler-time mage-thief) and ive wanted to play all of the side questst that ive never ahd time to do. I once tried to play online, and it was too frustratind, so a simpler thing like battle.net would be very useful. ALso i always assumed that id b able to team up with people when i finally get on battle.net, was i wrong?

4. stormwell55

stormwell55 New Member

Actually I think someone has created a mod or add-on which enables you to carry on playing after you finish the proper game.

5. cadaver

cadaver New Member

6. arronax21

arronax21 New Member

7. cadaver

cadaver New Member

8. arronax21

arronax21 New Member

9. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Error, page not found. Aw fuck.

That is a good idea, to continue playing after the game. Of course there would need to be other things available that would make it more interesting. Add some triggers and make more quests ONLY available after the game. You know what would be fun, if you could get an New Game + thing like in Chrono Trigger. Maybe no keep your stats, but add a counter whenever you beat the game, and then you restart with 2 extra cp for every counter.

There is a problem with the battle.net idea. This game takes a fuck of alot more to run online than Starcraft or Diablo 2. If there was a dedicated server, or servers like with Ultima Online, then it would be interesting.

10. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    What if the game became increasingly difficult for every consecutive rerun, unlocking new quests, NPC:s, followers, areas, items and level caps each time? That's replayability if anything. Like you're capped at the regular lv50 cap the first time you play through the game, and the next rerun you keep this character and may advance him/her to, shall we say, lv70? This way you could continue to advance your character for like three runs in total and reach the nice and round cap of 100 (this would require a phletora of new skills and abilities to dump the points at though - perhaps you should be able to specialize in existing disciplines even further. Needless to say, each rerun should unlock new caps of skill levels.)

And, of course, you could have better and better endings depending on how many times you have beaten the game with that character. Devotion counts! :)

11. cadaver

cadaver New Member

isn't then the person who puts the most time in the game the person who owns the best characten in online play

noobs and stuff can't even walk from A to B and they are allready cut in pieces 12 times???

12. Dark Elf

Media:
    Well, yeah. Sorry. Guess I got a bit carried away there, but the topic seemed to take a turn from multiplayer into singleplayer and I just hooked on. However, isn't that how it's supposed to work? Seems pretty fair to me that the guy who spends the most time on his character comes out as the most powerful.

The idea could still be viable in multiplayer though:

Perhaps if there were different realms you could go to - say there were dungeons that you could only enter if you were between the levels 10-15? And then, of course, there would have to be safe zones. And unsafe ones were everyone, regardless of level can venture. Other than that, there could be a penalty system like in some MUD:s - if a too high-level character slays a newbie unprovoced, he has to face the consequences, like gaining less XP and getting a setback in his skills, and the dismay of all other regulars, who now will rape him to death on sight.

You may or may not like those ideas, and I understand you if you don't - I'm not really into online RPG:s´...

13. cadaver

cadaver New Member

NP
    gaining LESS XP???
    NO gaining then for slawing noobs IMHO

but I really like those ideas for the rest (no elite players allowed in noob places)

setback in skills? nah I really hate to see my skill (who I gained after killing hunderds of long battles) leaving for 1 noob
    but when I killed 10 of them I agree with that idea

dismay of all other regulars? too bad that can't be coded in the game
    because we are still human characters :p

14. Dark Elf

Media:
    Sorry, I was incoherent. What I meant was that you would receive a penalty when gaining xp after you've slain that n00b. So, in your next fight, you get like 90% of what you should had got if you weren't such a munchkin. Of course you shouldn't receive any XP at all being a lv50 character raping a lv2 ditto.

Well, that's the way it worked in the MUD I played a long time ago. In the list of commands I saw the "decapitate" command, and being young and dumb as I was I thought: "k3wl! L37s 7ry 7ha7 0u7 ye@! 1337 d00d!".

So, I punched that newbie all bloody and then I decapitated him (which was like a permanent kill) and that immediately resulted in a setback in all my skills, a penalty in all xp gained and the outrageous dismay of all other players, for whom I was now Something Awful. There were ways to make amends for such a crime, but I never bothered, mostly because I was sought up and beaten the bleedin' tar out of as soon as I logged on.

That was a wee bit too strict I believe...

15. arronax21

arronax21 New Member

Our Host!