Turn Based Games

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 5th_horseman, Jun 11, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. 5th_horseman

5th_horseman New Member

I'm unable to play real time games, and a bit behind the times.

Can anyone name some decent turn based games, I know of all Warlord series, any others?

2. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Civilization III?

Heroes of Might and Magic III and IV?

Oh, I don't know really...

3. floyd

floyd New Member

Fallout, anyone?

Fallout 2?

Jagged Alliance, maybe?

Jagged Alliance 2?

Ever heard of Silent Storm?

Wasteland?

4. Icairus

Icairus New Member

5. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Temple of Elemental Evil. If you don't mind having to deal with some nasty bugs and severe lack of story.

6. DEATH AT THE DOOR

DEATH AT THE DOOR New Member

"Ever heard of Silent Storm? "

Excellent suggestion.
    Try that one, 5th_horseman. The best game of the genre since JA2.

7. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

Good God, man! That game is ancient! And it was so great! Damn, that really brings me back.

Wait a minute, did DEATH just say something? I thought he was going to leave all us "worthless cretins." Damnit, I knew I shouldn't have kept my hopes up.

8. DEATH AT THE DOOR

You are so stupid that I think you deserve a custom avatar like all idiots here.

9. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

amazing how you've been here such a short time, and yet you already think you're better than everyone. pride before the fall, man, pride before the fall.

10. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Yeah, Civ series, Fallout series, Jagged Alliance series - you should be able to buy Wildfire, which comes with the original JA2, for 40 bucks these days - ToEE, Arcanum in turn based mode, etc etc etc. The games are there if you look for them.

11. DEATH AT THE DOOR

What's so special about Wildfire? I heard several people mentioning it but I walked in EB Games one of those days, picked up the box and read the info. Basically some guy though the weapons are not realistic enough so he tweaked them and removed some of the more "special" encounters.

I say: get JA2 Gold on Ebay for 10$.

12. floyd

floyd New Member

I couldn't agree more. Wildfire is just a bad mod, ask the hardcore fans (there's lots of superior mods out there, all downloadable for free). By the way: I got the JA2 Gold Pack for a meagre 5 Euros! Superb game. :)

13. Solaris

Solaris New Member

JA Gold rules, though it still did not fix some stuff. I like how they designed the mercs, I wish the Fallout Tactics recruits also had "friendships" and "dislikes" of each other :lol:

14. Sea Dog

Sea Dog New Member

I like the Total War series. It has a good conquer the world/kill the infidel world strategy map where you build provinces and units etc. and it also has real time battles. But if you don't like them you can have the computer calculate the battles for you but it's just not as fun that way

15. DEATH AT THE DOOR

Solaris: Ah yeah: Fallout Tactics was surprisingly good. I though that since it was designed by another company, it was sure to suck. I was wrong. Sometimes it's good to be wrong :).

Sea Dog: Yah, Total War is good but it isn't really turn based. Sure the empire menagement is turn-based, but the combat isn't.
    BTW, reading Sun Tzu's Art of War really helps if you play any Total War games.

16. floyd

floyd New Member

Fallout Tactics good? You must be joking... Not only did the developers completely fuck up the Fallout setting, they also delivered a totally buggy product that didn't even get fixed with the last patch. Oh, and to top that: combat and weaponry development were completely unbalanced (because they so desperately wanted to add a real time mode, the mofos). MicroForté even had the guts to compare the game to JA (set in the Fallout universe, they said, yeah sure), but they didn't dare to add that it was going to be worse than JA. All in all, Fallout Tactics has nothing to do whatsoever with Fallout and Fallout 2. The game sucks. It's not even fun the first time through: way too many bugs (perks that are broken, corrupted files, the poorest framerate I've ever seen and so on and so on...).

It is better than Fallout: Brotherhood Of Steel (for the console), though. But then again: even Tetris and Pong are better than that monstrosity. :-x

17. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

i like Fallout Tactics. true, it's not like Fallout at all... but i'm not sure it's really supposed to be. it's set in the universe, nothing more. as a tactics game, it was great fun. just try to ignore the "Fallout" in the name, and think of it as Apocalypse Tactics. much more fun that way.

18. 5th_horseman

5th_horseman New Member

Civ 1 I have played,i it was a good game, I generally play at game till I can beat the game any time I play.

Too much time on my hands. :) Unfortunatily my hands are also the problem I simplily cannot control a mouse or keyboard with any speed or accuracy :( I beleive my best at Doom was about 30 seconds. I'm still trying to master one finger typing. :) (Gotta hit the right keys you know)

Arcanum I can only play in turn base, even then I'm what you would call slowwww. I have checked out the demo's of some those games. I don't know if the full games differ from the demo's, but my motor skills just don't cut it. So please only games that are totally turn based. :/

19. floyd

floyd New Member

Being a hardcore Fallout fan, I call this statement utter blasphemy. :-x

Then, how can it possibly be good? :???:

Correction: it was not announced as the sequel to Fallout/Fallout 2 (which were turnbased RPGs), but the package states very clearly that the game is "set in the award-winning Fallout Universe" (as you pointed out yourself, by the way). This sentence basically promises the buyer that the setting and the storyline of Fallout/Fallout 2 will be respected - which is absolutely NOT the case. Also: note how they mention "award-winning". Ha! The developers and Interplay knew how successful the previous Fallout titles had been and the only thing they were thinking about was making some quick and easy cash. They didn't care one bit about preserving the setting/plot/storyline and giving the huge fanbase what they deserved. They only cared about making a profit. The same goes for Fallout:Brotherhood Of Steel for the console: it's a bloody outrage that a thing like that can actually happen.

Remember Interplay's slogan? "By Gamers For Gamers"? The minute they released Fallout Tactics, they should have changed that into "By Capitalist Pigs For Morons".

Conclusion: the game is NOT set in the Fallout Universe at all. The package might say so, but don't believe everything you read.

I can't see how a game that was published later than Jagged Alliance 2, but was worse in each and every aspect, can possibly be fun. Or how a game that was bugged beyond oblivian and had the poorest framerate ever (without anything to better that, not even, let's say, by adding an extra of 256RAM to your system) could ever be considered fun to play. But hey: that's just me... :roll:

First of all: it's pretty hard to avoid thinking about the name "Fallout" when that name is mentioned all over the package and when they use most of the terminology used in the previous games without having the faintest idea what they were doing with it.

Secondly: I tend to think of the game as "Shitty Tactics". I personally gave it to my neighbour's dog to play with. Guess what? He wouldn't touch it either! :lol:

20. Solaris

Solaris New Member

I am a fan of both games, and frankly, I didn't find Fallout Tactics to be worse than JA2. They were different, that's all. FT was a fine entertainment really. It certainly had aspects that made it superior to JA2 here and there- like vehicles useable in combat, generally better graphics, more freedom in character developing.

Our Host!