Trouble modding WIP 6.0 Backgrounds

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Kaitol, Dec 13, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Kaitol

Kaitol New Member

I recently picked Up a copy of Arcanum, and learned how to mod backgrounds, I rather enjoy making up custom stories for each of my characters. And then I stumbled across the WIP module, and I liked the changes it made. However I wanted to add some of my backgrounds to it without overwriting all the default and ones added by the mod. I assumed the new backgrnd.mes effect.mes and gameback.mes were in the arcanum5.dat that comes with the mod, but when I tried to open it in arcanun to get at the .mes', it gives me a runtime error about missing elements and closes. So I'm rather stymied, I could just stick my own files with just my backgrounds into the rules and mes folder, but I'm slightly apprehensive that might mess with something in the game. I've searched over the forums and read about a DATbuilder program that can also extract DAT files, but its not in the downloads section where people say it is. Would that program be able to extract it for me, and if so, could I be directed to where I could get a copy? Or is there a simpler solution?

2. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Welcome to the House of Lords, Kaitol.

It actually is there. In Downloads/Arcanum Modding/Arcanum Modding Tools/.dat utilities (= here), to be exact.

The program should prove sufficient for the task you wish to accomplish.

3. Kaitol

Kaitol New Member

... Bahahahaha, I was just mousing over, I didn't realize clicking a section revealed subsections. God I feel stupid.

edit: Forgot to say Thank you.

4. Kaitol

Kaitol New Member

No problem, for now its just two very slightly more powerful than vanilla backgrounds. Ones a thief type with a point in all the skills, pickpocket etc. to get you started and some stat bonus'/malus. And the others a necromancer with social skills.

http://www.mediafire.com/?557n4y2yudik5lk

Our Host!