Trends that need to die

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jungle Japes, Jul 3, 2013.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

I'll get us started off with this gem: maternity pictures. Sure, it's the miracle of life and we're all happy for you, but GOOD LORD nobody wants to see your disgustingly distended belly, bare or otherwise. Wait till the child exits the womb, then take the pictures. Though personally, I don't want to see that either.

I pity this latest generation of children who are having their entire lives photographically catalogued. Childhood is supposed to be recalled in hazy nostalgia, not 12-megapixel clarity.

2. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I'll take a few pregnancy pics over HORDES of baby pictures.

I've a friend who posts 5-10 pictures of her kids every day.

3. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I've a friend who behaves much the same way - there literally hasn't been a status update during the past two years or so that hasn't informed everyone about her daughter's latest doings. I've considered replying to one of them with a snide remark, but I am gentlemanly enough to have refrained so far. :monocle:

4. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    I'll wager that Jojobobo does.

The trend that I want to see go away is the tendency for young men not to pull their trousers up all the way. I know that it's supposed to give off an air of rebellious nonchalance, but in practice it looks like they haven't figured out how to dress themselves properly. It's one of those fashion movements, like 80's rolled up jacket sleeves, that everyone in 20 years time will cringe at when they see it in old photos of themselves. Well, let me save you the trouble - I'm telling you now that it looks stupid and you should stop doing it. You're welcome.

5. No.9

No.9 New Member

Yes, clearly we should go back to the days where pregnant women were not really permitted to leave the house.

The trend that I would like to see die is Facebook. DIAF, FB.

Yes, I could always just leave it but that would be too easy, wouldn't it?

6. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

I learned from one source that the trend to have the pants pulled down originated from skaters to prevent the skateboard to jump up in the crotch in the event of a failed trick.

Also, I think people should stop.

Also, just bought BG Enhanced edition on steam for 4,99 or something.

7. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Well sure, but only if they're really heavily pregnant. I do have some standards.

I always find my self resisting new terminology; I resent new words when they come up, and take a few months to assimilate them - always hoping they are just a fad. I guess you can hardly call progression of the english language a trend, it's just the natural way of things, yet at the same time I fail to see why things like "twerking" should have ever become a word.

8. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Since I don't know what "twerking" means, I put it to you that it has not become a word.

9. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Irregardless, we should not misunderestimate the sometimes ruthful evolution of language.

10. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

I only know what twerking is because I saw a video of Miley Cyrus doing it. Totally worth the 15 seconds it took to watch.

11. werozzi

werozzi Member

Yep, language trends are awful.
    Just recently the royal academy of Spain made a proposal to remove every tilde from Spanish, just because people can't care less when accenting words.
    Lazy people.

12. AnimusAntipathy

AnimusAntipathy New Member

One trend that might want to stop here is the period of time where a new member joins the forum and he or her is suspected of having a dubious agenda, an alias or indeed being hwlfp.
    By the way my name is Chris and I like this Forum.
    I also like all of you.

13. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Oh, twerking is a new dance move. Well, if something didn't exist before, and someone says "Oh hey, now there's this new thing, and here's a name for it" then I don't have any problem with that. The language trend that annoys me is when people take a perfectly good word and start using it to refer to something completely different because they think it makes them seem smart. Like where I work, they've started using the word "story" to mean a task or item of work. So instead of saying "I've discovered a bug and submitted a work request to get it fixed" they'll say "I've submitted a story to get it fixed." THAT IS NOT WHAT THAT WORD MEANS. Sadly, this sort of obsession with mutated jargon is normal in business.

What's even more annoying is that in this particular case, the origin of the trend was a sensible attempt to get people to think about product development in terms of user experiences (a.k.a. "stories") instead of as a series of disjointed features. But, predictably, nobody understood the core lesson that was being taught, they just appropriated the terminology of the discussion and then carried on doing what they've always done while using different words for it. You know, like unthinking morons.

14. No.9

No.9 New Member

That was a really good story.

15. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

Nope. First thought was agenda. Or Muro.

16. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

This has been going on long enough for it to have transcended "fad" or even "trend" status. I fear this has now become "culture" and the only way to do away with a culture is genocide.

Fixed that for you.

Subtlety wins.

Troll.

17. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Works for me.

18. werozzi

werozzi Member

Were we asking for less than genocide?

19. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

20. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Yeah, actually it perplexes me when people say "violence doesn't solve anything". On the contrary, violence does solve most problems. Is someone saying things you don't like? Kill them. Problem solved.

It's the fact that violence solves so many problems that means we have to expend such a great deal of effort on maintaining a society where it is no longer seen as the first resort.

If you want a snappy phrase to discourage violence, may I suggest "using violence to solve a problem just leads to bigger problems", since, these days, that's usually the case.

Our Host!