Town Maps

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by tree1180, Feb 14, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. tree1180

tree1180 New Member

Does anyone know how or know of a tutorial on how to make town maps?
    Not of whole maps, but of specific areas, like in arcanum, ex Tarant. I've tried everything and about to explode! :x :x :smash: :x :x :smash: Thank you! 8)

2. darkllama

darkllama New Member

i dunno, i know that in worlded, that you can export a town map of the whole darn thing, but my mod is pretty big, but i want to make it where you have the whole big place and then you can go from the world map to a townmap, like the arcanum module does., but i don't know how... :???:

3. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

Actually, in Arcanum the townmaps are generated from the main Arcanum module map, but are not actual submaps that you edit. You actually edit the Arcanum module map to build each of those towns unless you have to teleport through a passage of some type to get into the town, like you do with Qintarra, and even then you have something on the main map to link you to the submap. Most towns are on the main map and the townmap is just generated by the world editor. You can do that using a command in world editor to generate town maps. It will then ask you if you want to overwrite existing townmaps and you can say yes or no depending on whether you have changed them. If you have changed them, you need to tell it yes so that your changes get incorporated, but you don't ever actually edit the townmaps that you use in the game. I hope that answers your question. :) If not, then please clarify and I'll try again.

4. darkllama

darkllama New Member

ummmmmmmmm.... hmmmmmmmm well how does it know how big to make a little sub-town map thingy where you can move short distances and stuff... what i'm trying to say is how does it know what areas you want to export as a townmap and how do you choose these things?

thanx 4 yor help! :D

5. tree1180

tree1180 New Member

RE

how is it possible to edit those parameters (where it makes a town map)? Is there a tutorial on this?

6. darkllama

darkllama New Member

that's what i would like to know, but i know it has to do something with exporting your townmap tool like sinbad said...

but you need more widespread areas in your mod first, tree! :D

7. tree1180

tree1180 New Member

:lol: :lol:

Yeah, you're right. I have 3 little spots that are almost on top of each other. But you can go to each one! hahaha :lol: :lol:

8. darkllama

darkllama New Member

9. tree1180

tree1180 New Member

yes you can

it you put the mouse over it, then it will tell you.

10. darkllama

darkllama New Member

soooo............ who cares! it looks sloppy and careless!

11. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

I believe that you can set the area of your townmap in the MapList.mes file in the Sierra\Arcanum\modules\Arcanum\Rules directory, but I've never seen any kind of tutorial on how to set it or any kind of information on what the default is for the Area. If you look over the maps that are listed there and compare the Areas specified to the size of the townmaps that are generated for them, it should give you a feel for what to use, but I haven't bothered to analyze it yet. I'll get around to it eventually.

12. darkllama

darkllama New Member

okay, so i just go into maplist.mes and add the numbers from there?

13. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

Sorry, I was feeling unwell when I made that post and evidently not thinking clearly. MapList.mes is where you add any maps that you teleport to from the main map and you can include an Area designation for them. There is also a TownMap.mes file in that same folder or should be which will have a list of all the townmaps that you have. I'm not sure, but I think the entries in this file are generated automatically when you generate the townmaps from the world editor and they include a size factor if it is important. So I don't think you have to do anything and I'm not sure it's a good idea to do so. Still, you can take a look at it and play around with the [w:#] entry on your townmap and see what happens because I'm pretty sure that entry is for the width of your townmap and the length is calculated from it.

I hope I'm thinking clearer today and that this make sense. :)

14. darkllama

darkllama New Member

but doesn't it just make a huge, big map of your whole thing if you export it? i want just a little one, like the ones in arcanum, where thare is a town and all the rest is black

15. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

Try doing the generate townmap on the world editor so you can see what it really does. Until you try it, you won't really understand what I'm talking about, but that is how you get those small maps that are in Arcanum.

16. darkllama

darkllama New Member

okay, i'll try it. i just didn't want to take a long time exprting some huge townmap of the whole world...

17. tree1180

tree1180 New Member

RE

actually llama, it take a very short time. it is about 10 seconds with my world map, which is 750x750. I havent found out where it exports the townmap to though.

18. darkllama

darkllama New Member

19. tree1180

tree1180 New Member

RE

actually, I hadnt actually tried to export a townmap when I made that post. I just thought that it would. I found it too. It saves 400 images in the townmap directory.

20. darkllama

darkllama New Member

whoa, that's a lot of images.

yeah, some of the arcanum townmaps use like a thousand, tho

Our Host!