ToEE Survivor

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons Discussion Forum' started by Jinxed, Nov 19, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Just a few days ago I started playing ToEE the way I planned from the start, Ironman.

I must say, even though I've finished the game a couple of times, this mode is truly a challange. I had to restart the entire day. I kept getting killed along the way. But I'm not playing it easy, no way. I'm playing an EVIL ironman. Yes, I'm doing things that can get me killed on an everyday basis with no saving at all. That said, I'm not doing any good "help out the townsfolk" quests, what kind of evil fiend would I be if I helped out people?

My most successful try came to a screeching halt when I went to hommlet to rest with Lareth in my party. The people at the inn seemed to know who lareth is and attacked me. I butchered them all with some help from Toruko and his fighter companion. Too bad they had to be taken out after the townsfolk run out as they went after me. BUTCHER OF HOMMLET. Oh well, I never really liked this place anyway. Lets go to Nulb. During my visit to Nulb, I was up to no good as usual. Assasinated a gal at the docks without anyone knowing. I was just about to leave when it hit me that I need to get some items from the blacksmith. Otis attacked me on sight and let me tell you, it wasn't easy to kill him with a 3rd level party. But I needed one of my party members ressurected afterwards. I thought I could try with Terjon, even though it was highly possible he would attack me. And so I entered the Cuthbert church and Calmert went after me. The fuck was too strong, he was a high level cleric and took most of my party members down before I could send him to hell. At this stage, I had two PCs left so I gave up.

Ironman is the only mode I'll ever play in ToEE. I find myself a 100% more tactical, more strategic in character development, choosing multiple classes along leveling to get the most bonuses. This is the REAL thing.

Playing patched without the Co8 patch because it implements a lot of aspects that make the game easier.

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Seeing as none of the developers had managed to beat the game Iron Man last time I checked, running it through on that difficulty could be seen as a rather big achievement.

I've got to complete it plain vanilla before undertaking such a perilious task though.

3. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Successfully solo Ironman as a bard and I'll make you a moderator for a day. And I mean solo - no followers.

On a more serious note, I'll give this mode a bash someday. At the moment, I'm still experimenting with the various classes, combinations and whatnot. Have found that greataxes are very, very good.

4. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Heh, no kidding man. This shit is damn hard. And you get punished for mistakes big time. Everytime you raise someone from the dead, a big chunk of their XP is taken away. Since some of my characters died twice, they are way behind others.

I really have to roleplay this game on ironman, think about what I do and the consequences. I love it. But hell, things can get from peachy to knee deep in shit in a split second during battle. Makes winning all the more rewarding I guess.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ironman would be alot greater if the game included all the 3.5 skills, and feats. I really would have liked to have seen mounts, and some more wonderous items. ToEE does a pretty good job, but nothing is as much fun as the real-thing D&D.

6. Dark Elf

Media:
    You know, it sounds mad enough to be worth it. I'll at least give it a try, I tell you that. With a GNOMISH bard. :lol:

Wouldn't mounts had been rather excessive seeing as 99% of the game is played in dungeons anyway?

7. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

I already tried. I went as far as the undead under the moathouse.

8. Dark Elf

Media:
    Well, I've made a try now. Made some quests in Hommlet that pushed me up to lv4. That's when I decided to go to the Emridy Meadows and do Terjons quest as well to catch that nice piece of Green Elven Chain and kill some skeletons that would give me enough xp to reach lv5. Felt like a solid level to have before even thinking of the moathouse. Said and done, I went to the meadows, stole the elven chainmail in front of that ugly giant and went off for the Rainbow Rock.

And there, there was this Skeleton Gnoll. Who, appearently, hade a really insane AC, seeing as I scored 16 consecutive misses!!!!!!

I was buffed to the heavens. I used all my spells. All my potions. All my music. All my healing magic. I had munchkin stats. Yet, in all those rounds, I only hit the gnoll once - for 1 point of damage (damn damage resistance). And while the gnoll wasn't so succesful at hitting me either, he nevertheless knew how to land two critical hits, which were the definitive end for this little gnome.

I may try again though. I just need some time to recover from those horrible rolls...

9. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

I made it past the moathouse, I paid off the captain and talked with Lareth. After a little fight he quit and left without his chain.

Nulb has a lot to offer in terms of quests that don't involve violence.
    However, I need to find a way to unlock the chests with the robes. Bard doesn't get the knock spell and I haven't got a scroll. I Don't have time to play now but I think there are three places where you can (possibly) get one. From Burne, from the Seaman Tavern or from the old witch who sells herbs.

10. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

You know, you could just try the good old route of actually picking the locks...

That said, if I solo the game, I think I'd go as a monk. I've got a monk right now, level 7, with an AC of 31. Yeah, that's right, he only gets hit with failed criticals (except for the occasional really really strong giant/ogre chieftan/what have you). I say failed criticals, because to get a critical you have to exceed or their AC on the second roll, which you'd need a base attack bonus of 11 to do (apart from rolling a 20, which on the second roll does not translate to automatic critical). Adjust needed roll down as base attack rises, obviously, but my monk isn't done yet. At level 10 he'll get another +1 AC, and eventually I'll get bracers of armour +5 instead of +3. Mmm, 34 AC...

Anyway, enough of my blabbing/bragging. I honestly can't believe you're taking up the challenge Dark Elf - bards are incredibly bad. They don't get good spells, can't fight for crap and generally suck. If you want to continue with the challenge, by all means go ahead, but I'm changing the original one - solo (no followers, one PC) with any character class you want, and I'll make you mod for a day.

11. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Lock Pick is on bard class ability. I should have spent so much on bluff, I got a spell which gives you +30

Now with a fighter, it would be easy. You must select toughness at the start though. My bard at around level 6 had 50 hit points. That's not bad for a bard is it?

12. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Let's see, max con bonus of +4, hit die of D6, so max could be 6x6 + 6x4 = 66, so it could be better.

Why the hell do you need toughness though? +3 hit points, woohoo, you've hit the big time! Do the quests in Hommlet like DE did and you'll get a few levels. Hell, do an opening with a fair bit of combat (LG and CE spring to mind) and you'll get pretty close to your first level.

13. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

+3 hitpoints per level it seems. In an Ironman game, it goes a long way. I daid 50 HP for a bard is good, and it IS good. First time I played, I took Barbarian2(levels) 1 thief and the rest fighter. I had over around 40 HP at lv 4. Now my current front man has 40 HP at level 6. There is nothing you can do about it, no loading. That +3 can make the difference.

14. Quethim

Quethim New Member

Heh, I doubt I'll make it too far...I still need to beat the game on Normal...

What would you all say is the best character class to use, you think it's a bard? How would a dwarven fighter do, with power attack, cleave and sooner or later, greater cleave? Expert in Dwarven Battle Axe...ahh....the great fighter.

15. Dark Elf

Media:
    Actually, the bard would be your worst choice solo. You see, bards are extremely party-dependant, since they're not particularly good at anything save one thing - buffing up parties. And they really do suck big time balls when soloing, which makes a one man Iron Man bard party a near-impossible achievement. Do that, and you're good.

The best character class for this purpose would probably be the cleric. They have it all - decent combat abilities, divine magic, turn undead and domain powers. With the right domains and spells you don't even need a rogue... :roll:

That character would do fairly well I think, since it has great durability in combat and can dish out helluvalot of pain. The only drawback I can see is that it would lack versatility outside combat - but in this battle-oriented game, that might not be that much of an issue.

And Jinxed - I don't really know about the toughness feat. An injection of 3 extra hp each time you pick the feat... it ain't doing much. I can definately see how a wizard or sorceror would benefit from it, but for the other classes there are usually better choices. I'd rather pick Dodge, Mobility, Combat Expertise etc and become a true AC monster.

16. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

When you can't load and get 4 hitpoints instead of 1 the difference is visible.

17. Quethim

Quethim New Member

The game would be so much easier if you could PICK the weapon you start out with...like in normal D&D....

18. Dark Elf

Media:
    Well, if you take the Weapon Focus feat you will start out with that particular weapon... other than that, it's not that much of a deal to purchase what you need at the local store.

Our Host!