Time to catch up with things long overdue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark Elf, Mar 29, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Actually I agree with your blasted grammatical fuming over nominative -vs- vocative, but I also think that humour takes precedence over anything else, and that we should therefore choose the funniest title for Arthgon rather than the correctiest.

2. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

There are such things as subtlety and wit as well.

You know, as opposed to outright mockery.

The easiest humour is usually the nastiest and loses its flavour very quickly. It's the verbal equivalent of a monkey shtting in its hands and flinging it at its enemies/neighbours/friends.

Say, maybe that could be your avatar, Smuel. Nah, you're quite witty, I'm just white knighting for Arthgon.

3. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Here you go your majesty!

[​IMG]

And seeing as wayne now has a vocative title, I don't really see any reason why it shouldn't extend to other recipients - then again I'm pretty neutral now as to what title Arthgon should get.

As a side note, I like Muro's suggestion for TDC.

4. Transparent Painting

Transparent Painting Well-Known Member

The Archangel certainly has a nostalgic value ontop of being a suitable avatar.

My votes goes to Jar-Jar with "Lost in translation" and the Archangle with "Stop there criminal scum", even if the later might be a little bit too long.

5. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Jar Jar will look ugly unless he's on a black background.

6. Jojobobo

I'll see if I can make most of his black background "transparent" when I get the opportunity and I'm not feeling lazy. Then again there's a good possibility it will just show up black (or white) still anyway.

EDIT: And I pretend I have nothing better to do with my time, I'll make a double post to see if the "transparent" effect works.

7. Jojobobo

[​IMG]

No it didn't, so either someone edits my image onto another background or if people have any suggestions I can try.

8. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

What most avatars do is use a neutral tone similar to the primary object (for instance, our newbie avatars, or Muro's blue on blue). That way, we don't even notice.

Exception is Wolfbane, who distracts us with green arm branches. His still looks best on Black.

9. Jojobobo

To comply with this forum's exacting standards when it comes to avatars, here's the newest revision:

[​IMG]

I know there is a black edge around Jar Jar, but I thought that made him stand out. Still that can be easily rectified.

10. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Black background was by far the best.

11. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Maybe it should be halfway between the two background colours, i.e. a very dark maroon - that way it will be visible, but still subtle, on either background.

Then when the colours change during the PHPBB upgrade, it will look wrong on both.

12. Jojobobo

If people come to a consensus about the background, I'll change it (or someone else can if they want) - 'til then there isn't a great deal of sense in having about 20 different pictures of Jar Jar Binks up.

13. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Transparent would be best. The reason that it didn't work last time is probably because you saved it as a JPEG, which doesn't support transparency. You need to save it as a GIF or PNG to get that effect to work.

And if Arthgon is going to get this avatar, and keep posting, then we'll be seeing the picture a lot, so we might as well start getting used to seeing lots of it now.

14. Jojobobo

I did save it as a JPEG, but the GIMP software said that it was capable of saving "transparent pixels" for JPEG files (which it is - I've done it before). Still, there's no harm in trying a different file format. I'll give it a go when I get home.

15. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

16. Jojobobo

Hey if two people agree on it, I'm sold. Saves me the small amount of effort wasted by actually doing something.

17. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Then we just need to agree on a title. "Lost in translation" seems to be the one with the most staying power. Even though it's not my favourite, I'd vote for it just for the sake of finalizing a decision.

18. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

My vote goes to the Jar Jar avatar (black background) with "Lost in Translation" for title.

19. Jojobobo

I prefer Great Language Big Smart, I think Lost in Translation is a bit too high brow in combination with that picture.

20. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

AYE

Our Host!