Three selections, in the caliber of .44magnum.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Darkwalker, May 9, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Darkwalker

Darkwalker Member

2. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Well, Dark, I don't think you can go wrong with Ruger. Myself, I don't much care for the "cowboy grip" of the first two. I recently (couple of weeks) purchased a .357 magnum more in the style of the third .44 you've got pictured. It's hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like the first one has the longest barrel, maybe? Or are they all the same? The reason I ask, is that IMHO, the longer the barrel, the better. 6 incher on my .357, I wouldn't want any less. Too much recoil, too much muzzle blast, and not quite as accurate. (I hate snubs). But, I digress.

I do confess I don't know much about Ruger specifically, other than I've heard/read they are good guns.

Are you buying new, or used?

{EDIT} Also, it's good to see that the grips on all three are smooth, and not checkered. Checkered grips in high power calibers will eat your hand up if you fire it enough. Are the guns you are considering those exact guns?

3. Darkwalker

Darkwalker Member

retard, those are the exact three models I've narrowed it down to. I'm buying new, of course. I never used to be a big fan of the gunslinger grip, but the look has grown on me, I'm leaning towards choice one.

The specifications for the weapons are as follows:

Choice 1.) Single action, six shooter with a barrel length of 5 1/2"(overall length 11 1/2")with a weight of 40oz.

Choice 2.) Single action, six shooter with a barrel length of 4 5/8"(overall length 10 1/4")weight not mentioned in description.

Choice 3.) Double action, six shot with a barrel length of 5 1/2"(11' overall) with a respectable 49oz in weight.

4. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Well, being a patriot of Israel, I have a suggestion. If you want a .44, how about Desert Eagle? :lol:

5. Morden279

Morden279 New Member

Good old IMI, gotta love 'em. :D

Being a fan of military pistols, especially automatics, I'd go for an old M1911A1 hands down. It may kick like a mule, but it's a classic weapon.

Regards,
    Morden

6. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Yes, the M1911 is the next handgun I will own. I saw one at the gun show recently where I bought my .357 mag, and I had a hard time choosing between the two.

Dark, I prefer DA pistols over SA. But again, that's just my preference. I like being able to cock the hammer for fine shooting, but having the "pull and fire" option for rapid shooting, like if something were to break in my house in the middle of the night, like wombats with the intention of ass-raping me.

Do the SA pistols eject the entire cylinder so you can dump all the casings at once? Or is there a (awww, can't remember the name for it...fuggit) Is there a piece that pulls open and down, so you eject the spent shells one at a time?

(I still say you're doing a good thing going with Ruger.)

7. Morden279

Morden279 New Member

Yeah, I know the feeling.

I've just got my baseball bat for that, but again, if I did own any pistol, it'd have to be an M1911.

Regards,
    Morden

8. Solaris

Solaris New Member

I'll be getting a gun license soon. Going to get myself "Jericho" I think, or maybe "Barak" (a relatively new 9mm Israeli gun). Not exactly Glock of course, but oh well.

9. Morden279

Morden279 New Member

Pity the liscencing laws over here are as strict as they are. (Bloody liberals...) ;)

Regards,
    Morden

10. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Well for me its kind of a job requirement. I'm a security guard

11. Ferret

Ferret New Member

They're not really that strict. You can easily obtain a gun, providing you can prove that you need it. For example, most farmers are allowed one shotgun or rifle each to keep the rabbit and fox population down, that sort of thing. And there is no law governing the use of handguns, except that they are not allowed to be used anywhere except firing ranges or specially certified shooting ranges/sporting areas.

Which is fair enough. If you want to shoot a gun, what are you going to shoot at? Targets, like cans and bottles? Get yourself to a gun club. They have proper targets there, set up in the same way and more.

Air rifles and air guns on the other hand are totally legal to get once you're over 16. There is no liscensing law over those, except that they have to be below a certain compression ratio which gives them a lethal range of only 700 feet, or something like that. Seeing as you'll only need longer if you want to be a trained sniper anyway then that isn't a problem. There is no law except the over 16 law governing air hand guns. You can have as many of those as you like.

I think there may be a limit to the firing rate though. Mind you, I had a friend at school who brought an air pistol that was powered by CO2 canisters that held 2000 rounds, and had the capacity to fire those 2000 rounds over 700 feet in the space of 20 seconds. A pretty lethal weapon by any count. A fully automatic air pistol!

I've got a shotgun and an air rifle at home (we have a small holding for the shotgun liscence) which is more than enough. Also, you can get a shotgun if you obtain and hunting or sporting liscence. You've still got to be over 18 though.

12. Octillicus

Octillicus New Member

I'm sorry?

You feel that it's a bad thing that the public ownership and use of hanguns has been limited in Britain?

13. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Uh... you are confusing wants & needs. For a security guard job, get a 9mm automatic. Read the tests & get the lightest one you can find, or the one with the lowest misfire rate. The Glock probably fills both slots.

Darkwalker, the cowboy single action is a sexy peice, but if you want firepower, look at the Casul .454 magnum. Most powerful handgun on the planet. Sammy's hand cannon in real life. & a cowboy single action to boot.

Ferret, your air rifle laws come from their use as a poacher's weapon. You are still death on poachers over there. Last I heard, the pellet crossbow was outlawed in GB due to its historic use as a poacher's weapon.

14. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Glock is too damn expensive, and its qualities go far beyond what an average security guard needs. For me it would be too much of a luxury I'm afraid. But I do like the idea :D

15. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Ferret, I'm confused. Call me stupid, but I thought all guns were outlawed in GB. Meaning, no one, no where could own a gun for whatever reason. So you can own guns over there?

16. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

This is the only gun you would ever need.

http://www.beretta.com/dettaglio.asp?Ti ... 0_maxi.jpg

I'm certain i could kill of the ammassed armed forces of the whole world as long i had that gun and plenty of ammo. :D Love that shotgun. Is she not sweet and so adoringly lethal. Guess who got one like that for his confirmation.......

17. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

The good ol reliable "over and under". Best wing hunting guns in the business. Expensive as crap too. Who were you referring to Q, when you said,

You?

18. Darkwalker

Darkwalker Member

Although I'm glad to see I got the ball rolling on some good ol' gun talk, ya'll seem to forget the point of the thread, help me chose one of the three revolvers! I realize everyone has different tastes and you may like weapons other than the ones I've selected, but out of the three I've chosen, which would you like to own?

19. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

I dunno, Dark, the more I look at those gunslinger models, the better they look to me.

20. Darkwalker

Darkwalker Member

Our Host!