The what's your drink thread.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by General Mandible, May 27, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Psychoactive or not, cultural perceptions associate Absinthe so strongly with decadence and moral depravity that any self-respecting individual simply must give it a go in their lifetime.

Also, I believe bottles of the Green Muse can be found in Arcanum, yet another reason to imbibe it.

2. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Which is the very reason why I wanted to try it out in the first place.

I always carry a bottle of absinthe on myself and all of my followers when I play an evil or neutral game. It's so in climate.

3. Minuos

Minuos New Member

Absinthe is simply its own drink, but it can be twice the proof of whiskey. That's what gives it its main kick, and any hallucinations, if any, will be from going too fast. I once saw things in a yellow tint when I'd drank too much of the stuff too fast, but that was short-lived. Its notoriety has been far blown out of proportion.

I like your characters.

4. General Mandible

General Mandible New Member

Are you sure the Absinthe in the old days was simply just high percentage? I always thought there were some hallucinogenics in it, and what we have now (at least here) was just strong alcohol. Our Absinthe is around 70%, at least the ones I've seen. I never tried it, however.

5. Minuos

Minuos New Member

It's difficult to know for sure, since most sources of information are of mixed opinions rather than facts. It could be anything, really. Perhaps two ingredients clash and give off a side-effect nobody's sure of. Every drink gives a different type of drunkenness dependent upon all its ingredients, so it's highly possible one of them does something special under certain circumstances. Then there's always the chance of older variations containing substances not considered so illegal at the time. Who knows?

I love random, uninformed theorising.

6. General Mandible

7. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Here's a random funny fact for you: The antidote to drinking too much poison-type wood alcohol (methanol) is actually to drink enough regular ethanol so that your body deals with that instead of the nasty methanol, which will then safely pass through to your kidneys without making you go blind.

Remember that the next time your buddies are sitting around drinking wood alcohol. For their safety they need to get rip-roaring drunk on the good stuff.

The more you know!!!

8. General Mandible

9. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I can't wait to read the string of alcohol related obituaries that you've just caused, Philes.

10. Dark Elf

Media:
    He's actually spot on, even though methanol should of course be avoided regardless of the amounts of ethanol one has within comfortable reach.

Just to add some useless trivia, methanol in and by itself is relatively harmless, it's the substances the body creates to deal with it that kills you. I suppose that with regards to methanol, we are all our own worst enemy.

11. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Methanol is harmless yes, but it's not what the body produces to deal with it that's bad for you. It's what the body (liver to be specific) makes from it.

Just like with ethanol the liver oxidises the methanol. The difference lies in that methanol's oxidation product is formaldehyde, which again is oxidised to formic acid (This reaction partly happens in your eyes, which is why you go blind). Both very very bad for you.

Ethanol however is oxidised to acetaldehyde and further to acetic acid, which are also bad for you, though not nearly as bad as formaldehyde and formic acid.

So if you load up the system with ethanol, after you've ingested methanol you will slow down your livers production of formaldehyde, and you might just keep your self alive long enough for enough methanol to be passed out through the kidneys.

Hell if you're lucky you might even keep the formaldehyde redox reaction to formic acid from happening and thereby keeping your retinas from being reduced, and be able to keep your vision. Though, unless you're God Himself, you will suffer some damage to your eyes.

12. Dark Elf

Media:
    All that knowledge of Chemistry, yet Law is what you waste your time with.

If I were you, I'd try to join those areas. Don't you have chemical companies destroying the environment around them? I'm sure they'd pay you handsomely to be their lawyer!

13. Xz

I'm sure they would. And I am considering taking a bachelors degree in chemistry, though I want to finish my masters degree in law first and I doubt I'll be willing to spend another three years with practically no money.

14. Dark Elf

Media:
    I hear you. A diet that pretty much consists of oatmeal, pea soup and black pudding is the plight of the student.

15. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Trust me Xz, I'm aware of the methanol metabolism process. I just finished my goddamn doctorate in this shit. I could even list the enzymes used and the products created, I just didn't think people would care about it enough for that kind of specificity. I guess I was wrong?

16. Xz

I never doubted you were Philes.

I however, after seeing DF's post, thought it necessary to explain further. Also to correct the small error in DE's post.

Now, seeing as you've completed a doctorrate in this, and I merely have high school chemistry, and I haven't even had that since a year, I would appreciate it if you were to correct any errors I may have made in my previous post. :)

17. Silvara

Silvara New Member

Since when has anyone here let such petty concerns as "maybe nobody cares" stop them from posting random stuff? Besides, enlightening others is always worthwhile! :p
    I like chemistry too, though probably not enough to take a degree in it. And *my* student diet is quite nice, actually (or it would be if I didn't end up skipping breakfast *and* lunch most days...)

18. Dark Elf

Media:
  19. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

20. Dark Elf

Media:
    Let's go crazy with the ad-clicking and see what insane revenues we can reach!

Our Host!