The Trials of Salvatore

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DarkFool, May 20, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

So, I thought I would explain to you my current plight, as a warning to those on my road.
    I drink, on average, 2 cokes per day, five days a week. I've been like this for around ten months now, and have never been the healthiest prior to this. As of today, I have had one root canal, and around sixty fillings. I found out today that another of my teeth is in poor health, and may not be save-able, meaning that I'll need another root canal. I believe that, in large part, this is due to the vast quantity of cola that I consume. If any of you are like me, I advise scaling back. Personally, I'm going cold-turkey, and completely abandoning carbonated/caffeinated beverages. The next few days should be hellish for me, as I'm a severe caffeine addict. I thought I'd give you this little warning. Good luck!

2. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

That sucks for you DF. I hope it works out for ya. You have financial coverage for that sort of stuff?

Anyway, good tooth care really gets down to 4 things, in The Gospel According to Philes:

I've listed these in perceived order of importance.

1) Genetics (tooth shape and composition play a huge role)

2) Regular checkups and professional cleaning at least every 6 months (I don't care how well you brush/floss, the coverage they give is required)

3) Personal dental hygiene habits (guess what douchebag? If you don't brush and floss people think you're British)

4) Diet (Drinking battery acid = bad times)

EDIT: lolspelling

3. Minuos

Minuos New Member

Exact reason why I do so two or three times a day.

4. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

I drink several litres of cola about 5 days a week, but I brush at 3 times a day and I chew Extra gum. I recently spent far to much money dealing with a problem tooth and don't want to risk having to spend that much money again

5. Jazintha Piper

Jazintha Piper Member

Someone reckons that if you sip through a straw, thus delivering the cola straight to the back of your throat, you'll bypass and save your teeth.

But usually a quick gargle with water should do the trick.

How old are you, DF? You may as well go and get dentures, with your teeth like that. That way, you can really give the girls a scare... or not ;)

6. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

I drink more cola than I ought to, but I brush numerous times a day with an electric toothbrush and I too chew Extra. It's nice gum. My teeth are pretty good, except for the one that needed to be yanked after getting shattered during my last bike crash.

7. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Milk
    Water
    Tea or Coffee (with milk, no sugar)

That's pretty much all I drink on a regular day. While the way my teeth have been arranged suggests that they were flung in position by a drunk monkey, at least I don't have to worry about going broke when going to the dentist.

8. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

Mineral water. Tons and tons of it.

9. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

Yeah, just out of curiosity, how old are you DF?

I needed a root canal when I was in college and my younger brother said that I was old. To him, root canals were something that only old people have done. To me, root canals were something that only people who needed root canals have done.

In any event, my root canal was awesome. That dead, canaled tooth has a blue tinge to him now.

Many thanks to those of you who brush your teeth three times a a day. Now matter how weird and out of place I feel I can always fall back on "At least I'm not one of those people who brushes his teeth in the restroom at work."

10. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    DF is 20 years old, practically a baby.

11. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Milk
    Water
    Orange or Apple Juice

Only things I drink besides beers when I am out. Was blessed with perfect arrangement of teeth however that hasn't stopped me from brushing twice a day and using mouth wash.

12. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

I'm blessed with super-awesome teeth. I brush once a day, never floss, and have never had a cavity. Of course, my consumption of sugar and caffeine is minimal, so there's not a lot in my diet that could rot my teeth.

13. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

My mother's a dental hygienist so whenever I'm over there and my teeth are in bad shape she takes out her instruments and has me lay down on the couch.

I try to avoid that though so brush twice a day, mouthwash in the morning (I have REALLY bad morning breath), and floss nightly. Plus a tongue and cheek cleaner I use daily.

14. General Mandible

General Mandible New Member

I feel with you. I had a root canal and always have holes in my teeth. Plus, the anaestethics don't work right on me so it's always extremely unpleasant to get something done.

15. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I've completely cut caffeine/carbonation out of my daily consumption, and am finding drinks that have less sugar than a 20oz of soda.

16. Silvara

Silvara New Member

I've never been too kind to my teeth, but for some years now I've taken to drinking a lot of water every day and I find it helps considerably.

17. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Wow.
    That's worse than her spitting on a napkin and rubbing a smudge off your face.

18. Archmage Orintil

Archmage Orintil New Member

That's all one needs. Cola of anykind leaves my teeth feeling like velvet. I don't understand how people can drink it, but apparently it's addictive, even with it's minimal levels of caffeine.

19. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Speaking as someone who's been trying to give up Coca Cola for three years now... Oh yes, it's addictive. Trying to talk to me after a week off the stuff is asking for a punch.

20. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I say Pepsi > CC. Somehow it tastes less sugary to me.

Anyhow, when it's cold and not too much and not too less corbonated, the feeling it gives on your throat is ecstatic. Yeah, it's addictive, and yummy too.

Our Host!