The terrible effects of videogames

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by General Mandible, May 7, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. General Mandible

General Mandible New Member

I was recently operated in my foot and have been in bed for a few days now, playing Arcanum from morning to evening as I didn't have that much else to do. So today when I limped around a little, I sometimes looked to the right corner of my eye to see how much energy I had left.

Another time, long ago, my grandparents were driving me home, and around half-ways, I looked down to see on the map where we were. This was after endless hours of Carmageddon 2.

Anyone else damaged, or is it just me?

2. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

Two instances:

During my GTAIII kick years ago, I once rounded the block in town walked right up to an empty police car. By the time I got close enough I could see into the driver-side window, I said "Holy shit wtf am I doing?" and speed-walked nervously away.

Another cop related incident during a month-straight Morrowind binge was when I was caught speeding through an intersection and a cop whips out behind me with his lights flashing. As soon as I saw him in my rearview mirror I literally muttered out loud "OMG quick load! Quick load!"

True stories.

3. General Mandible

General Mandible New Member

What were your grand theft mind thinking of doing with or to the police car?

The quick load story reminds me of another instance that happened today. My cat accidentally (deliberately, knowing cats) pushed a stack of games and manuals onto the floor behind the bed, and I thought about loading my game because it'd be easier than to pick it up.

4. Minuos

Minuos New Member

Something similar to General Mandible in that I wanted to save myself some hassle. Once upon fitting a new graphics card, I ran the computer (whilst still open in case it didn't work properly) to test it, a loud bang, and a flash of light that rendered my eyes unusable for a few minutes. Right after it happened, my intentions were to hit escape - so I could reload my last save and avoid some grief.

It later came to light that after I left the room, my ingenious brother decided to try moving the voltage switch on the back of the power supply.
    I wasn't best pleased.

Also, I've had nightmares about losing valuable MMO items...

5. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

I've been playing Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords like a maniac all week, which has had the end result of me seeing gems and skulls whenever I close my eyes.

My obsession with Alchemy was born of a really awesome game called Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana. (Which I heartily recommend to anyone who likes good gameplay, awesome characters, brilliant voice acting and a tongue in cheek sense of humour.) When I first got the game, I'd just gone onto the disability, so I did little else but play it for a month. Even now, I can hear the character's voices clear as day with little prompting, and certain words or phrases will alternately make me cry, wibble, giggle like a maniac or spout quotes.

Thanks to Star Ocean: The Second Story/Second Evolution, if you say Noel to me, I giggle and blush. *giggle*

6. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

You know you've played too many games when you tell someone (about you being tired), "I need to raise my hit-points."

I still get razzed about that one.... :/

7. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

I recently played the Nazi Zombies game mode on 'Call of Duty: World at War' so much that I began to dream of killing zombies.

In other instances, probably caused more by my barely suppressed desire to kill somebody than by video games, I have had very vivid dreams of shooting people, always with a handgun.

8. GrimmHatter

I wanted to stock up on more shotgun rounds before offing the mobsters over at Luigi's tittie bar.

9. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Every once in awhile I'll think to myself "I better quick save my progress, so I can quickload and try again in case shit doesn't work out." Usually before a test or something.

Depressing shit, right there.

10. GrimmHatter

Did that when I was at my seat with about 10 minutes left in the exam and trying to remember the fucking mechanism for aldol synthesis. I then handed my test in and immediately went to my counselor and changed my major to biology. Yeam I'm a pussy. What of it?

11. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

OMG love Puzzle Quest!

Whenever I get on a CIV IV kick I dream about the game board for days.

12. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

During my WoW addiction I kept having dreams where nobody would actually talk. I had to go up to them and point at them to open up a scroll with what they wanted to say.

13. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

My room mate last year is a cop, he came home one night and woke me up to tell me the funniest thing that had happened on his shift. He and his partner had to throw a dude in the back of the car because he had been fighting in a bar. Apparently the guy was telling the cops as they drove him away that the other guy spilled his dark iron ale and he simply mortal striked him for it.

Also whenever I see a commercial that has the letter G by itself I think gold?

14. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

I got Broken Steel, which I've been looking forward to for about a month now. And the god damn thing doesn't even WORK. :x

15. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Playing too much Starcraft made me mistake some common household sounds with the sound of "Spawn Broodling".

16. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

If you ever meet me in person, come up to me and say one of the following things and enjoy the show.

'Norn.'
    'Arlin.' (or Steve Blum. Whichev')
    'Haer'Dalis.' (Michael Bell works equally well for that one. His voice... *wibble*)
    'Noel.'
    'Delsus.' (Bwahahahahahhahaha!)
    'Mull.'
    'Amalgam.'

After the show I will of course demand alcohol and/or an introduction to an attractive friend of either gender as payment.

17. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    During my EQ addiction I was driving home from work one night. I drove past the same apartment complex I had passed for years. But this time I noticed their landscape lighting. You couldn't see that actual lights themselves, just the glow of the various lights shining on different plants and trees. I though "OMG, Wisps and no one’s around camping them! They're all mine!"

You know you've played Diablo to much when the crystal in your forehead starts to itch.

18. Minuos

Minuos New Member

Ouch. I didn't even bother getting it yet. I always wait in case there are problems with it. I'm simply starting a new character in preparation, and not wasting any Perk points on Intense Training, which I always do and did on my most recent character. Annoying since he's damn near perfect...

19. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

Well, you've got ten more levels to spend on useless perks, so go ahead.

20. Minuos

Minuos New Member

I'm a perfectionist to ridiculous levels with videogames. Basically, I can't have a single wasted level or point, or I have to start again. Another example of game OCD would be my reloading Fable every time my character received a scar...

Our Host!