THE PATCH IS HERE!!!!

Discussion in 'News Comments' started by Jinxed, Nov 10, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

After a long torment of empty promises and dead links, Atari has finally uploaded the <a href="http://www.atarisupport.com/newfaq/dungeonsdragonsthetempleofelementalevil.php?browser=1&pageDisplay=DOWNLOADS">patch</a>. The servers are being leeched beyond recognition right now so once I get it I'll post a T-A mirror here.
    <br>
    <br>And here it is, enjoy. <a href="http://www.terra-arcanum.com/toee/downloads/TOEE_PATCH1_ENU.EXE">T-A mirror</a>.

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Jinxed, you want me to swim over and hug you? These are grand news indeed. I've strained myself from running through ToEE because this would happen. Now I can finally complete it.

Nice! And remember - who was right? The patch would be due for Monday, I knew it! :D

3. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

All hail Dark Elf the Person who knows it all......

4. Dark Elf

Media:
    Heh, am I the only one who sense some really serious sarcasm levels here? :D

Hmmm.... my game doesn't work as it seems. I can't get further than to choose Alignment when creating a New Party before the game crashes to desktop. Oh well, guess I'll have to pester their technical support then...

5. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

the game workes fine withe me, but i havent played since that mean woman killed us.....

oh, and DE, you do know everything, even that about the sarcasm...

All hail DE the person who knows it all.....

6. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

After some testing it looks like this patch SUCKS. Not only are people unable to install it, some guy detected a VIRUS inside the installation file. Now, I'm not sure about that, my norton didn't catch anything...

And it looks like Atari trimmed the bug fixes list too.

7. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Damn, does that mean I should still hold out on getting ToEE?

8. Canis

Canis New Member

Out of curiosity, did they fix the item descriptions and the monsters spawning in walls thing? I thought they were going to but I couldn't find them listed in the patch readme.

On a happy note, I was able to install it, McAfee says no virus, and it doesn't cause my game to crash or not run at all. So far.

(You know it's one of those days when the best thing you can say about a patch is that it doesn't contain a virus.)

9. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

That's all been fixed canis. Shift Click for item descriptions. Like cloack of elvenkind and what not.

10. Dark Elf

Media:
    That's probably the most wanted feature included, save the various fixes. Say what you want about the BG and IWD series - at least you could see what made a magic item special, along with a neat description that really added to the feel.

Got to check it out... although it seems that I'll have to reinstall the game before being able to see it. It just persists to hurl me out to the desktop before I'm able to begin playing. This appeared all of sudden prior the patch, which I thought would fix it, but it didn't.

Well, let's see what the reinstall does then...

11. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

The item descriptions weren't included in the original release because some genious at Atari decided it would make the game hard to translate and imposed a word limit on Troika. :thumbup:

12. Dark Elf

Media:
    Oh, yet another brilliant move by Atari? Why am I not surprised?

Those guys are truly working persistently to become the embodiment of bad ideas. And like that wasn't bad enough, they've really developed a knack for it...

13. Canis

Canis New Member

I read (at the IPLY boards, I think it was) that it was a design decision by Troika. They said it more closely mirrored the PnP experience, wherein the player wouldn't have total knowledge of the properties of certain items. Was that wrong?

Ah, here's the thread.

Includes a quote by Steve Moret, presumably from the Atari boards which I'm too lazy to register at:

EDIT: Actually, that quote has little or nothing to do with item descriptions, does it. Oops.

14. DarkChylde

DarkChylde New Member

This is a bit off topic, but was Pool of Radiance made by Atari/Troika also? I know it was another one of those uber buggy RPG games.

15. Icairus

Icairus New Member

No. It was not.
    Troika has made 2, count them, 2 games.

16. Quethim

Quethim New Member

So does the patch work? Cause I don't want to go waste 20 minutes of downloading for something I'm not going to use....

(Damn 56k!)

17. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

It sort of works. Yes, some changes are made, and certainly more stuff works, but I'm not so sure that the crafting feats are fully fixed (wondrous item is, but I'm not convinced arms and armour is) but for some reason my followers could, then couldn't, sell their stuff. Now they seem to think that selling stuff is like dropping it...So yeah, it makes certain aspects of the game better, but it also seems to screw up other aspects.

Our Host!