The Official Arcanum artifact thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark Elf, Sep 19, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

Will you contribute towards a custom NPC or Artifact?

1. Yes!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

And my ax.

I vote DE.

Artifact

It could be a hammer. The Banded Hammer - forged eons ago by a secretive guild known only as The House of Lords, and immediately used to execute the less desired members of the guild.

2. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

Shield: Arret Arcanum. Immunity to magic. Reflects flames back on the caster. Forged in the abyss by a secretive cult known only as The House of Lords. The bearer of this shield finds he is immune to the flames of lesser creatures.

Dagger: T'erra Munacra. Black handle, red blade. Fire damage. A product of the guild called The House of Lords. Kills trolls dead.

3. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Hammer - Trauma Rencar'd

A mighty weapon forged by The House of Lords - The weapon was to both burn and put into shock those struck by it. Causes fire and physical damage - great for fighting trolls.

I had to add a d - rencard is french for "hot date," so this hammer is a "hot date with trauma." Much like becoming newly acquainted with the house of lords.

4. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    The Banhammer has already made an appearance in Morrowind, and as a recognised Internet staple it is nowadays a too generic an item to be used as a HoL symbol (it originated with the Something Awful forums anyway). Dagger or shield both have their merits - the arcane dagger for obvious Muroesque reasons, and the shield because it would fly the black and maroon colours like a motherfucking champion.

EDIT: Ten people interested! Good! Just remember folks, the more the merrier.

I'll look into giving contributors a forum badge.

5. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Monocle or top hat would be more fitting for the forum. The reason I have plenty of money to throw around is because I don't do risky things like pay a guy on a forum to possibly get a pixel in a game that will probably be terrible. That being said if I have done worse while drunk.

6. Transparent Painting

Transparent Painting Well-Known Member

I'm in if we can get it below 50 $. Monocle or top hat would be best, since it's not as restricted to a certain class and is more likely to be used by different characters.

7. Dark Elf

Media:
    As it currently stands, we are 11 backers. Divided equally, this amounts to 91 dollars/backer. I know that this is a lot of money, and that it may be beyond the reach for some of you. Of course, one way to resolve this is that we pay extra for the goodies that come with the package (I could pay more than my equal share for the signed hardcover book, for instance).

8. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

I could consider paying more for some goodies aswell

9. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

I say we elect a spokesperson (Dark Elf for instance) and contact Cain before we go any further. We could tell him we're from TA and would like to incorporate a little of our spirit in the game or whatever. See if he can do anything for us.

10. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

Given that the new $5k tier is aimed at communities I doubt that he would be willing to give some sort of deal to us. However he may be willing to reserve us a $1k tier to give us a little extra time to set up a paypal and pull together the money (for example, I get paid bi-weekly and payday is next Thursday and others may only be paid once a month and need to wait until the beginning of October for their pledge).

11. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

However much we may doubt it, there's no harm in trying.

12. Dark Elf

Media:
    I've chatted with Tim before (mostly about cookie recipes, mind you), so chances are he'll reply. I just sent him this:

"Hi there boss. Terra-Arcanum is scrambling to incorporate our very own artifact in Project Eternity, and I'm wondering if you could help us out in any way - if nothing else, it would be useful for us to know the nature of items in this game (Update 5 hinted at there being a conflict between magic and technology à la Arcanum) and basic game mechanics such as if every class is able to use any item and so on. Thanks in advance."

We'll see what comes out of this. I imagine he might be too busy to Facebook though.

13. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

Wish I knew Tim Cain. He seems like a neat guy.

14. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

Tim Cain is a pretty cool guy. He marries a man and doesn't afraid of anything.
    I'm in favor of contacting this guy. In fact, knowing that there may be a communication channel to him opens up the possibility of an NPC over an artifact, given that a designer may actually consider our input.
    • Xaio - a self-absorbed scribe
    • Frigo - a troll who paints pictures
    • Smuel - a useless bard
    On the artifact front:
    I loved the idea of a ban hammer until I learned that it had already been done. How about a shovel for gravedigging?

[EDIT: "and artifact"? Come now.]

15. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Classic TDC, still white knighting Xaio even though she was vanquished.

16. Pyotr

Pyotr Member

Or wand "Thread Necromancy" which can summon spirits of long dead spiders and/or reanimate dead ones.

17. Dark Elf

Media:
    The problem with banhammers/shovels/gravedigging wands/cans of spam/cages of trolls is that they are too generic and will be thought of as Obsidian's little Easter egg about forum culture in general. Dagger/shield/monocle/top hat/[insert Victorian paraphernalia here] would do a much better job at referring to Terra-Arcanum and the House of Lords.

18. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

Name: Alubadur’s Necklace of Health.
    Power: Lesser immunities against Poison and Diseases. (or should this be better?)
    History: Forged by Alubadur to be used as a protection against the many assassinations against the King Leondor.

Name: Monocle of Distinguish.
    Power: +2 Perception +2 Charisma.

19. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

A Hammer of Banishment
    An Arcane Dagger tribute
    An escutcheon with a highly peculiar, HoL related coat of arms
    A cylinder hat

20. Dark Elf

Media:
    Arret Munacra (dagger)

Appearance: Like Muro's Arcanum dagger. Black blade, maroon hilt.

Description:

”… and so it came to pass in the halcyon days of ancient Vorakia, that Procurator Jarinor, speaker of the House of Lords and Imperial Justiciar, was slain by a shadow in the darkness, for reasons unknown...”

- The Vorakian Empire, A History, by Dahr Kelph.

This sinister dagger, its name derived from the Vorakian runes covering its obsidian blade, was the only piece of evidence left at the scene after the assassination of Procurator Jarinor of the Vorakian Empire.

Historians have attributed the deed to various famous assassins of the period, such as Muro the Erudite, Zanza the Desecrator and Schwamm the Gross, but the motive of the murder and why any of these master assassins would leave behind such a formidable weapon remains a mystery.

Strangely, the name of the dagger means ”the tree” in High Philesian. Whether a clue to the true identity of the murderer or the nature of the dagger's terrible enchantments, the truth may be forever lost in history.

Effects: This should be the assassin's tool of choice, a dagger capable of inflicting massive backstab damage and causing severe debilitating effects.

I'll write item descriptions for more equipment later.

Our Host!