The most powerful background.

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Dark Elf, Jul 22, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Wiz

Wiz New Member

I think the "Ugly Dude" Background (not sure I'm spelling right) used on a half-horc would give you an interesting, pretty powerful warrior, plus the fun of seeing the super-hostile reaction of ANY npc you'll encounter on your way, cause the incredible handicap about beauty.

The "Debutant" background is interesting if you want to make a fascinating, elegant female elf or half-elf and you're interested to become the master of persuasion of Arcanum. I think I'll use this backgroud for my "Non Kills playthough" challenge.

While for "Raised by monks" background: i used it one time for creating an halfling thief, but actually I felt the single +1 bonus on Perception is a bit poor, especially because there are many other background that give you massive bonus in determinate characteristics, depending in what hero are you interested to make.

2. Archmage Orintil

Archmage Orintil New Member

It's "Beat with an Ugly Stick". Hilarious background. That one, and "Arsonist" are my favorite rp backgrounds.

3. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Or half-orc for an extra twist.

4. Wiz

Wiz New Member

Correct. Hylarious and good background for me too.

I should give a try to this one too.

5. Jwrac

Jwrac Member

*Casts Necromancy on ancient thread*
    I just wanted to note how awesome the Charlatan's Protege' background is, I just love absorbing the residents of Arcanum as my followers.

6. Dr. Ferb Wallace Mythril

Dr. Ferb Wallace Mythril Member

Incorrect ritual. You must invoke the dread name YOG-SOTHOTH.
    take 2D20 CN penalty

ontopic:
    I'm a huge fan of "Beat with an Ugly Stick", it works for every combat type and gives you a bonus at early levels.

Jwrac likes this.
  7. on1ondevelopment

on1ondevelopment Member

If I'm an half-ogre, the "Ran Away with the Circus" background allows me to effectively steamroll everything before I reach even level 2.

8. Dr. Ferb Wallace Mythril

Dr. Ferb Wallace Mythril Member

enh... the low Int score makes me twitch...plus there is the quest loss

9. UweWesens

UweWesens New Member

*conjures thred spirit*

All my Tech builds get "sickly child". Sheesh, 14 INT, right from the start? Being able to toss Explosive Grenades like rice on a wedding *at Level 10* is just ridiculous. Great deal of fun! Who needs any other weapon?

For the rest I go with "Charlatans Protegee". That feels like a Mini-Me, pure roleplaying reasons.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  10. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Personally, with my over enthusiastic attempts at character building, something I've realised is Muscle Makers are pretty awesome. All you need to do is put 2 character points in Therapeutics, get some tech manuals and bam - you can start converting mental stats into physical. If you're going melee and so want to mac ST and DX, then investing into IN means you're getting a two for one trade - and IN honestly isn't hard to maintain at 8.

With this in mind, a "best background" could be the one that preserves a single mental attribute you would want to conserve in order to sacrifice others to make Strength and Dex better. I guess this is just a single way you can work a background, but I think the Muscle Maker (and Brain Builder) dialing up (and down) of stats is a pretty sorely overlooked mechanic that more people should exploit.

Something to think about, I know I do in my dreams.

11. t-roll

t-roll New Member

These are the ones I like the most:

Miracle Operation = great for tech gunslinger or even technomage

Single Child = best one for mage

Ran Away with the Circus = less popular one but is great for turning weaker races like halfling or gnome into strong melee fighters like orc or dwarf.

Beat with an Ugly Stick = this one is best for any kind of bow, throwing, melee fighting

Charlatan's protege = great for pacifist character

Sickly = best for tech

Idot Savant = highly underrated background as it gives 9 points for 6 but it does limit your dialogue to idiot levels. i think is great for an autistic technologist type build

These are also pretty good :

Troll Offspring = this one is much like Ran Away with the Circus + Beat with an Ugly Stick one above helps you turn your weaker character into a strong melee fighter. -4 beauty and -4 charisma for +2 str +2 con and +1 dex. beauty is a dump stat anyway so technically only costs you -4 charisma.

Tough hide = this is half-ogre passive for anyone very unique.

Professional Knife Tosser = great for a throwing build
    Arsonists = great for a bomber / grenadier build

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  12. TransGirlRed

TransGirlRed New Member

I chose Sold Your Soul for the roleplay. I love that even in a morally grey world like Arcanum,there's still that moment,maybe right around the demon pact,where one can cross the line. But I have to admit it is a potent background mechanically. She'll never do tech,but she was never planning to. She really does get a Lovecraftian social reaction,but I already set that to neutral with beauty bonuses. It's surprising how much people will forgive when your a hot elf tyrant instead of just a regular tyrant...

Our Host!