The most munchkinized character recipe

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by The_Bob, May 10, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

Well I've found lots of 'The most xxx character' topics, with xxx being funny/powerful/interesting etc. but not that. Let's face it, after so much time spent on playing a game, one finally learns the mechanics all too well and starts being a munchkin. Well, good knowlage and use of the game rules to one's advantage may be the only way to play certian characters, like taking a diplomat char through BMC mines or a strict summoning mage through the derge.

My personal fauvorite is a stun/backstab combo, played with a female elf, a char like this at level 5can take on just about anything you come by. The basic equipement required to leaad such char are the gloves of dexterity, found in ashbury, dagger of speed, found in most magick shops, availiable in the magick shop on the first day in tarant. And of course lots of potions of haste and fatigue limiters. You gulp down the potions and just run around in turn-based, killing anything you come by. It's useful to have some spare steel daggers for taking down ore golems.

2. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

So? What's so special with a backstabbing elf? I've done that a million times, and it's the same as just being an Ogre berserker, smashing ones way through the monsters.

No, the really cool char to play is the common Joe (I've changed my mind, guys. You were right all along), not too good at anything. Being a half-orc gunslinger at lv 10-15 is one of the funniest things you can be. Have some clothes instead of armor and a fine revolver, and this game starts getting fun again. The fun begins when you can't kill a creature, and need a hell alot of luck to manage.

3. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, like trying to fight your way through car arcanum with an aspiring technologist char.
    But the idea here is about a char capable of packing as much of a punch with least points spent, or simply overly powerful due to some gaps in game mechanics. Like harm sapammers, grenadiers etc. However, the reflect shield/mind control bug and other bugs don't count, we'll make a most powerful bugged character topic sometime else :p Also i would consider tweaked backgrounds and other mods that let you max the stats early to be chating in this context.
    It sure is a fine line between bugs and gaps, but walking it can be fun to an extent.

4. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

I've always found summoners to be pretty powerful, particularly at lower levels. With a couple of summoned orcs the Shrouded Hills bridge goons were gone in seconds. All my technologist characters struggle at that point.

5. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

An easy munchkin character involves specialization in THrowing and Explosives. Add to that the realtive cheapness of making the variety of grenades avaiable, especially Molotov Cocktails ( and explosive grenades in Car Arcanum) add to that a good investmente in DEX and SPEED and you can dial down an enemy HP pretty fast, or at the very least do good damage to whatever armor they are wearing.

One might also be able to do something interesting with Anesthitizer or Knock Out Gas grenades....killing a KOd enemy is easier.

If Plastique were more readily available, I'd fancy using that for mass kills!

6. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Female Character + Daggers of Speed + Backstab + Prowl = Everything dies before it knows you're even THERE.

ENOUGH SAID. (Did it once, easiest run-through ever! Even topped that damn half-orc...)

7. Wolfsbane

My fastest run-through (52 minutes) was with an elven harm spamming mage with "sold your soul" as backround. Damn, everything dies fast.

8. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Ooooh, that sounds fun. Plus I can have evil Virgil. *makes a note to try that once her PC stops having kittens*

9. Wolfsbane

Well, in my runthrough i dumped Virgil in the beginning to not have him around, slowing me down. The fastest way is to find the Gorgoth pass from the Cumbria side and then go directly and dig up ol' Misks father. Do the evil thing but keep the device when being banished to the last place.

10. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

If you go straight to Tula you just have to do Vendigroth, I finished at lv17. Hardest part was getting past the Bludgeoners in Kerghan's castle wearing robes and worn boots.

11. Wolfsbane

You can't go straight to Tulla. The guard won't let you in.

12. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

You don't need the guard to let you in, you just click the stop button in the world map when you're right over Tulla.

13. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

WHY in the Nine Hells and various Underhells would I EVER dump Virgil??? :winknudge: Mrrrr...

14. Langolier

Langolier Member

I can testify that Knock Out Gas and Anesthisizer are great fun. One knock out gas grenade can have an army snoozing and leave you free to dispatch them each with a rail-road spike and no melee skill. I rather enjoy playing gentelman technologists most of the time.

Ingredients:

Shoes
    Nice Suit
    Chapeau of Magnet Inversion
    Tesla Rod
    Leather Gloves
    2x Charged rings

My last character was a gun-slinger/thief/trap-maker/assassin. I haven't played in a while, but when I left off he was lvl 30'ish. It was tough in the begining because he was so diverse in his talents, however he is gradually getting better and better. He at most only has one follower though. Vollinger for now, who he armed with a tranquilizer gun. (note: I made Anesthisizer have a 5% chance to appear in lvl 5 Tech chests)

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Langolier is going to love my mod. 10% chance.

I have fun with a half-elf female technologist from another dimension and low beauty.

Our Host!