The Joys of Easter Eggs

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Etalis Craftlord, Sep 5, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

2. com2kid

com2kid New Member

Uh

And about 200 games before Diablo.

Want proof?

I have about 150 of those 200

:smile:

3. com2kid

com2kid New Member

Heh

j00 pirated teh game mang!

Go out and buy the Fallout1+2 kit if you do not have either of them, you can still find it around :smile:

There are various distributors that concentrate on older games too so look up one of them.

The Spiral Ring Bound manual itself is WELL worth the price.

Damnit that thing is not just a manual, it is a piece of artwork.

4. Ioo

Ioo New Member

With all my respect to greatest games of all I'm still broke and have to make a living.

5. com2kid

com2kid New Member

Yah true

But the thing sells for like $10 now.

I went to the collage book store which also offers 'educational' discounts on even the games.

Go fig

:smile:

6. Ioo

Ioo New Member

I barely could find wasteland for sale... when I did it was over 30 bucks on RPG archive...with alot of other rpgs/quests not worth paying for...or even playing for free.

7. a_claudd

a_claudd New Member

Actually, H.T. Parnell is P.T. Barnum. He started out doing "freak show" type stuff like Ripley before he started the circus.

8. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Sorry to barge in with a late reply, but I have never heard the firearms story before. The way you describe it sounds awfully like a David Gemmel character, Jon Shannow.

Shannow stars in several books as the "best there's ever been" type of gunslingy character. Anyway, he got religion when he accidently shot a child. He got so much religion, people started calling him "The Jeruselum Man"

9. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

10. Ioo

Ioo New Member

and blazing saddles is probably pardoying it... well I think we found what it is a reference to then. :minigun:

11. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

I found another one- after freeing Bessie Toon's ghost I was wandering around SHrouded Hills when I encountered a cow named Ol' Bessie. Ol' Bessie is the subject of a quest in Fallout 2 in which you heal a cow, in Vault City I think (could be Modoc). ANyhoo, I'm all excited, cuz I don't know how I managed to miss it the first couple dozen times around.

Coolness

0:)

12. a_claudd

a_claudd New Member

Was it that obvious that I just joined?

13. Ioo

Ioo New Member

bringin' this up, anyone got an egg?

14. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

I'm not sure anyone brought this up before, But The ring of brodar are an abvious stonehendge. It's even thought that they built it there with stones from 100 miles away because it was easyest to cross to another world from there since the gateway was weak. Same with the rings

15. Ioo

Ioo New Member

I have no clue about what you just tried to say, except the stonehedge part.

Btw Mages in protective shells... sounds awefully like spores to me.

16. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

17. Ioo

Ioo New Member

18. SquireJames

SquireJames New Member

The "Posts = 2" notation below your screen name was a pretty good indication... not that I have all that many myself! Welcome aboard!

19. Vikjunk

Vikjunk New Member

I all read said that... :evil:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vikjunk on 2001-10-25 06:23 ]</font>

20. Badtz Maru

Badtz Maru New Member

Many of the things listed in this thread are not true Easter Eggs. An Easter Egg is a reference to a specific thing. A character having the same first name as someone in real life or in a book is not necessarily an Easter Egg - Arcanum uses 'real' names, instead of making up names for all the races, so coincedences could happen. Now, if the character's full name is the same as another character or person, or the character has something about him that is obviously tied to the character or person, it is. A character that was named Zapruder with nothing else remarkable would not necessarily be an Easter Egg, but a character named Zapruder who had photographic evidence of a controversial event would be. A character named Virgil who acts as a guide and companion for the main character could well be a reference to Virgil in Dante's Inferno.

Now, since the world of Arcanum is based on our world, there are going to be similarities to the real world that are not necessarily deliberate references to specific things. The fact that there are Siamese Twins in the game and they were considered a curiosity probably does not qualify as an easter egg, as the names of those Siamese twins are not similar to the names of the most famous set (Eng and Chang Butler). The existence of the Stillwater Giant doesn't have enough similarities to any one example of such legendary animals in reality - it's just another similarity between Arcanum and our world that there are people obsessed with such beasts (now, if the name of the 'expert' on the Stillwater Giant is similar to someone who hunted a legendary beast in real life I will retract that). The fact that the past intrigues in Dernholm royal politics resemble somewhat the plot of 'Eyes of the Dragon' does not make it a reference to that book, as stuff like that happened many times throughout history, unscrupulous advisors frequently manipulated things so that easy-to-control people got the throne - now, if Maximillian was locked in a tower and had a dollhouse it would be a reference to said book, but he really has little else in common with the character in the book.

Our Host!